Urgent notice: outstanding UK Passport collections from VFS

55 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If not, then VFS will have to speak with HMPO and sort it out. 

Who is now around in With-It Tower (or its Chiang Mai equivalent) to speak with HMPO? I was under the impression that all VFS staff were effectively furloughed at the present time!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Who is now around in With-It Tower (or its Chiang Mai equivalent) to speak with HMPO? I was under the impression that all VFS staff were effectively furloughed at the present time!

I believe there is a skeleton staff there, as offices in Bangkok are not locked down for staff.  However, I doubt anything productive will happen until both HMPO in the UK and VFS Global are operating more normally, which, hopefully, will be when the Emergency Decree in Thailand is lifted on 30 April. 

If I had an expired or expiring passport that was stuck in the system, and I needed to get an Extension from Thai Immigration, I'd just go there and explain why my new passport was delayed. In the current climate of amnesties, I'd like to think they would give a temporary extension in the old passport.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:42 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

If I had an expired or expiring passport that was stuck in the system, and I needed to get an Extension from Thai Immigration, I'd just go there and explain why my new passport was delayed. In the current climate of amnesties, I'd like to think they would give a temporary extension in the old passport.

I personally would not regard special treatment by Immigration for us Brits in such circumstances as a given. After all, no other country has, I believe, completely suspended its passport renewal service from Thailand in the way that HMPO have seen fit to do in our case.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

I personally would not regard special treatment by Immigration for us Brits in such circumstances as a given. After all, no other country has, I believe, completely suspended its passport renewal service from Thailand in the way that HMPO have seen fit to do in our case.

Edited 34 minutes ago by OJAS

I agree. Why should immigration give us ' special treatment '. Not sure HMPO is fully functional at the moment as there Union does not want them to go back to work. It is up to HMPO to give us 'special treatment'. The British Embassy maybe could authorize a sticker temporarily extending the passport for one year, an added page if needed for those with full passports coupled with a letter explaining why this was happening. I am sure Thai Immigration will say contact   your Embassy it has nothing to do with us. If there is a skeletal staff at VFS then people with passports stuck there should be able to pick up the new one , get the corners cut off and given back to the applicant. Even if all that happened on a 2 meter stick.!!!! 

Anyway it is not up to us to think of solutions - it is there job. They, and the BE seem to be doing nothing.     

19 hours ago, pontious said:

Anyway it is not up to us to think of solutions - it is there job. They, and the BE seem to be doing nothing.

Agree with you 100%. This is what the Embassy actually said to me in responding to a recent enquiry confirming that emergency travel documents could not be issued to anyone without firm travel plans!

We would suggest approaching the local immigration to discuss the implications of your passport and visa situation. They may be able to suggest alternatives given the current circumstances.

Personally, I  am left seriously wondering whether HMG, collectively, is, in fact, more than happy for @ImageDude and others in a similar predicament to his to, in effect, be offered up as sacrificial lambs on the high altar of Passport Security, given that this, presumably, must, in their view, always be the paramount consideration when it comes to renewing passports, regardless of the exceptional times in which we are currently living. 

On 4/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, OJAS said:

I tend to agree.  But I think I'd still go and plead my case, especially if there was no sign of when HMPO were planning to start up again. 

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Agree with you 100%. This is what the Embassy actually said to me in responding to a recent enquiry confirming that emergency travel documents could not be issued to anyone without firm travel plans!

We would suggest approaching the local immigration to discuss the implications of your passport and visa situation. They may be able to suggest alternatives given the current circumstances.

Personally, I  am left seriously wondering whether HMG, collectively, is, in fact, more than happy for @ImageDude and others in a similar predicament to his to, in effect, be offered up as sacrificial lambs on the high altar of Passport Security, given that this, presumably, must, in their view, always be the paramount consideration when it comes to renewing passports, regardless of the exceptional times in which we are currently living. 

I am not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination, but I am beginning to think that there is more to this problem than meets the eye. Has HMPO been having some problems with passport renewal applications via HMPO Application centres in Thailand? Do HMPO not like applications being submitted by a third party agent? I have no clue. Do HMPO figure me for a prominent player in an International crime syndicate? ????????????  I can't believe that HMPO are just being vindictive with me. There has to be a logical reason. There were other posters on this thread who were experiencing similar problems but are not giving any progress reports on their own applications. Maybe they have their passports already and I really have been singled out. Who knows? Any way I have no choice I have sent my passport to UK HMPO via DHL Courier, hopefully it will get to it's destination eventually! If not, come to visit me in the IDC! ????????

I have had no updates on mine. 

Agent claims he applied, no verification/receipt (around last week of March). 

HMPO say they have no record of the application (been contacting them weekly for last few weeks). 

Have not tried to contact VFS BKK where application was apparently made.

I have had my current, unexpired returned to me by the agent. 

42 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I am not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination, but I am beginning to think that there is more to this problem than meets the eye. Has HMPO been having some problems with passport renewal applications via HMPO Application centres in Thailand? Do HMPO not like applications being submitted by a third party agent? I have no clue. Do HMPO figure me for a prominent player in an International crime syndicate? ????????????  I can't believe that HMPO are just being vindictive with me. There has to be a logical reason. There were other posters on this thread who were experiencing similar problems but are not giving any progress reports on their own applications. Maybe they have their passports already and I really have been singled out. Who knows? Any way I have no choice I have sent my passport to UK HMPO via DHL Courier, hopefully it will get to it's destination eventually! If not, come to visit me in the IDC! ????????

Do you know for sure that the HMPO offices in the UK have re-opened?

"Staff working for Her Majesty's Passport Office believe their lives are being put at risk because of demands that they return to work.

Many have been asked to go back next week, despite the ongoing coronavirus crisis, the BBC has learned.

On Tuesday, staff were told by a Home Office scientific adviser 80% of people would get Covid-19 in the end and "we can't hide away from it forever".

The Home Office said it was maintaining social distancing at passport offices.

When and how to get staff back into the workplace are questions employers will increasingly have to grapple with across the UK.

Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) has centres in Belfast, Durham, Glasgow, Liverpool, London, Newport and Peterborough.

The Tuesday conference call was addressed by Myrtle Lloyd, the HMPO chief operating officer."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52219930

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

"Staff working for Her Majesty's Passport Office believe their lives are being put at risk because of demands that they return to work.

Many have been asked to go back next week, despite the ongoing coronavirus crisis, the BBC has learned.

On Tuesday, staff were told by a Home Office scientific adviser 80% of people would get Covid-19 in the end and "we can't hide away from it forever".

When and how to get staff back into the workplace are questions employers will increasingly have to grapple with across the UK.

Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) has centres in Belfast, Durham, Glasgow, Liverpool, London, Newport and Peterborough.

The Tuesday conference call was addressed by Myrtle Lloyd, the HMPO chief operating officer."

They were working with a reduced staff and complying to social distancing and there would certainly be delays in processing applications. The last correspondence (email) I had from them was on Friday 24th. Again telling me to send them my passport and if I had any complaint to make I should make it through the Gov UK website facility.

33 minutes ago, TenDreams said:

HMPO say they have no record of the application (been contacting them weekly for last few weeks). 

When I made my inquiry to UK HMPO they told me the same in that they could't find my application at that stage, it had been submitted to VFS Global Chiang Mai on March 10th 2020 which is 3 weeks before VFS closed and headed for the hills. I just waited and 2 weeks later UK HMPO contacted me to say they had now received my application and it was at this stage they asked for my old passport to be sent to them, in order to process the said application. You know the rest. If indeed it is illegal to not be in possession of a passport in Thailand, then UK HMPO have instructed me to break Thai Law!

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for posting the link. I suggest anyone interested in this topic should click the bbc news link because there is much more to read than that quoted by BB. I don,t know, and cannot be bothered to check but I expect Thailand is the only VFS visa office which is bolted to British Passport Applications and when they closed the Visa,s section, as did many other counties, they failed to reason in Thailand it would affect Passport Application, as well. 

Myrtle Lloyd the HMPO the Chief Operating Officer  says renewing Passports is regarded as delivering 'Critical Service,s' . If it is providing that then the Passport Section in VFS in Thailand should reopen to provide the  same 'critical services'. Not visa's - just passports. It cannot be 'critical service' in UK but not at the other end.

Further in the article staff have said they are  happy a skeleton staff are processing passports that are needed for ID reasons. That is us is it not. Not for Easter holiday's.. That is what they upset about.

5 hours ago, TenDreams said:

If the agent applied then he would have been given a copy receipt. This copy receipt is an A4 piece of paper. This paper lists the documents submitted, and is signed by VFS and the person submitting the application. On the bottom of the paper is the DHL tracking number of your application as it is en route to the UK.

This copy receipt and your original passport are required to be presented when the new passport is collected from VFS.

All applicants receive this document. If the agent submitted he would have the document and he would be able to send you a photo or scan of it.

You would be able to track the document as far as being signed by HMPO and you would have a  signed list of documents submitted to VFS.

1 hour ago, pontious said:

Thanks for posting the link. I suggest anyone interested in this topic should click the bbc news link because there is much more to read than that quoted by BB. I don,t know, and cannot be bothered to check but I expect Thailand is the only VFS visa office which is bolted to British Passport Applications and when they closed the Visa,s section, as did many other counties, they failed to reason in Thailand it would affect Passport Application, as well. 

Myrtle Lloyd the HMPO the Chief Operating Officer  says renewing Passports is regarded as delivering 'Critical Service,s' . If it is providing that then the Passport Section in VFS in Thailand should reopen to provide the  same 'critical services'. Not visa's - just passports. It cannot be 'critical service' in UK but not at the other end.

Further in the article staff have said they are  happy a skeleton staff are processing passports that are needed for ID reasons. That is us is it not. Not for Easter holiday's.. That is what they upset about.

I have been following that BBC news myself. None of that is addressing this issue here in Thailand. I am led to believe that the procedure For VFS Global-HMPO Application Centres in Thailand is that they accept the UK Citizen's passport renewal application including passport. They cancel the said passport by snipping off the right hand corner and return the passport to the applicant to be used for legal ID purposes only. That information is on the UK Gov. website and that is the procedure I have followed. Nobody at the UK HMPO is explaining why, in my case, there has been a change to that procedure and they want me to send them my old passport. I have no objection to doing that but I would have liked an explanation. VFS Global have been paid to handle this passport service on behalf of the UK Gov. and they appear have just vanished into thin air. It begs the question now, when UK HMPO receive my passport and process the application. Where are they going to send the new passport, to me at my address in Thailand or to VFS Global who currently are out of the frame???

31 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I have been following that BBC news myself. None of that is addressing this issue here in Thailand. I am led to believe that the procedure For VFS Global-HMPO Application Centres in Thailand is that they accept the UK Citizen's passport renewal application including passport. They cancel the said passport by snipping off the right hand corner and return the passport to the applicant to be used for legal ID purposes only. That information is on the UK Gov. website and that is the procedure I have followed. Nobody at the UK HMPO is explaining why, in my case, there has been a change to that procedure and they want me to send them my old passport. I have no objection to doing that but I would have liked an explanation. VFS Global have been paid to handle this passport service on behalf of the UK Gov. and they appear have just vanished into thin air. It begs the question now, when UK HMPO receive my passport and process the application. Where are they going to send the new passport, to me at my address in Thailand or to VFS Global who currently are out of the frame???

There has been no published change of procedure. Apart from 'you cannot apply.' You keep the old 'intact' passport after application and when you return to pick up your new passport VFS then cut the corners of the old one.

They will send your new passport to VFS. They will not send it to you. If you sent them TOG and OJAS recent posts you will get a reply saying the advice given to you saying to send the old passport is wrong.  They will put it much nicer than that of course.

41 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

They cancel the said passport by snipping off the right hand corner and return the passport to the applicant to be used for legal ID purposes only.

VFS do this immediately before you take possession of the new passport, on the day you collect the new passport from them.

42 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

...but I would have liked an explanation.

My guess would be that they want to cancel your old passport because VFS are not available to do this.

43 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

Where are they going to send the new passport...

Three possible options: 1. To VFS; 2. To you; 3. To the British Embassy. Let us know the answer.

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

My guess would be that they want to cancel your old passport because VFS are not available to do this.

Not even HMPO can change something and expect people to comply without publishing it on GOV UK beforehand. They made a mistake in there reply.

12 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Three possible options: 1. To VFS; 2. To you; 3. To the British Embassy. Let us know the answer.

People on this or other threads have asked HMPO to courier it to there home address. Answer -NO it has to go to VFS. You will have to wait until VFS office is open to collect it.

7 hours ago, TenDreams said:

Have HMPO taken the money from your credit / debit card? - that is normally done pretty quick.  Apologies if you have replied the answer earlier in the thread.

I cannot see any reason whatsoever why VFS will not re-open once the Emergency Decree is lifted on 30 April.  To be honest, I don't know why they closed, as offices have been able to function fairly normally for the last month.  Maybe it was because HMPO in the UK closed?  

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I cannot see any reason whatsoever why VFS will not re-open once the Emergency Decree is lifted on 30 April.  To be honest, I don't know why they closed, as offices have been able to function fairly normally for the last month.  Maybe it was because HMPO in the UK closed?  

On VFS Global FAQ,s :when will your offices reopen.? Ans. When instructed to do so by the relevant Gov to tell us to.

My personal view is that on Tuesday they will announce some easing of restrictions but the Emergency Decree will be with us for some time yet. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

11 minutes ago, pontious said:

On VFS Global FAQ,s :when will your offices reopen.? Ans. When instructed to do so by the relevant Gov to tell us to.

My personal view is that on Tuesday they will announce some easing of restrictions but the Emergency Decree will be with us for some time yet. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Me too!  It won't be difficult for them to introduce social-distancing like the banks have done.  I'll lay money down that they re-open in the first weeks of May. ????

On 4/23/2020 at 6:56 AM, ImageDude said:

Thank you. I have forwarded the info to HMPO, but they are not going to change their minds. 

I am getting confused with the email dates. The above showed posts from TOG and OJAS showing the GOV.UK website saying you keep your passport in Thailand. You sent that to HMPO. You say you got no auto response . Have you received any reply to this specific email yet?

15 minutes ago, pontious said:

I am getting confused with the email dates. The above showed posts from TOG and OJAS showing the GOV.UK website saying you keep your passport in Thailand. You sent that to HMPO. You say you got no auto response . Have you received any reply to this specific email yet?

Yes, I received a reply the same day. It just said that if I had a complaint I should address it through the complaints procedure and gave me a link. I have done that but don't expect any reply anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

VFS do this immediately before you take possession of the new passport, on the day you collect the new passport from them.

I agree with what you are saying, but I shouldn't have to guess the reason why. If they have put interim measures in place then surely they have a responsibility to publicise the fact on the website or give me an explanation when they told me I had to return my passport to them.

25 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

Yes, I received a reply the same day. It just said that if I had a complaint I should address it through the complaints procedure and gave me a link. I have done that but don't expect any reply anytime soon. 

I agree with what you are saying, but I shouldn't have to guess the reason why. If they have put interim measures in place then surely they have a responsibility to publicise the fact on the website or give me an explanation when they told me I had to return my passport to them.

Thanks for your reply. I understand the frustration and anger you are feeling at this time.  A change of such a monumental issue would surely be published on the GOV UK website. It is not . The British Embassy would announce such a dramatic change - they have not. No one else has mentioned it. There is an emergency number on the BE website. Normally for deaths , accidents etc but I would explain that on HMPO instructions you have no official passport to use as ID because they told you to send it to Liverpool. Tell them you have done so. I would phone them tomorrow morning. Tell us what they say. Don,t bother emailing them.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Hi/.

It;s been over 4 weeks since, my passport should have been issued.  VFS still closed now. I hope they will open again after next week, when some restrictions are being lifted!

still waiting! waiting!

Lets hope, we get emails soon for collections! -

On 4/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think HMPO are completely closed, but they are working with minimum personnel and restricted practices. Indeed I hope they are not closed as my old passport is winging it's way to them. In fact they contacted me in response to my inquiry about my application status, stating that they had received my application but needed my old passport to proceed. So somebody is working at this time.

This is the automated reply received each time I have emailed them sometimes more than once a day. 

HM Passport Office <[email protected]>
Wed 29/04/2020 03:04

Due to the measures introduced in response to the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, which include social distancing and protecting vulnerable people, our responses to your e-mail will take longer than usual.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience at this difficult time.  We will respond to you as soon as possible.

If you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons or for government business, please contact us on

0300 222 0000 or From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000

Customer Service Management Team

HM Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

www.gov.uk

4 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

Hi/.

It;s been over 4 weeks since, my passport should have been issued.  VFS still closed now. I hope they will open again after next week, when some restrictions are being lifted!

still waiting! waiting!

Lets hope, we get emails soon for collections! -

I would suggest you contact HMPO Liverpool for a status report on your application. If it is any help, my application was submitted to VFS Global in Chiang Mai on the 10th March 2020 and I know that HMPO Liverpool have received it.

13 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I don't think HMPO are completely closed, but they are working with minimum personnel and restricted practices. Indeed I hope they are not closed as my old passport is winging it's way to them. In fact they contacted me in response to my inquiry about my application status, stating that they had received my application but needed my old passport to proceed. So somebody is working at this time. 

How is your passport 'winging it's way' to them ?

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

How is your passport 'winging it's way' to them ?

I have sent it by DHL Courier (With tracking). DHL are still operating although they said there may be some delays. I just called them for a quote, made a bank transfer, and they collected it from my home next day.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I sent my passport via DHL Courier service and it was received and signed for yesterday 4th May. So obviously someone is there. Whether they are actually dealing with passport renewals other than emergency ones, I have no clue. I just have to sit it out and wait now.

Archived