Renew Retirement Visa - based on 65K x 12

I would like to renew my existing retirement visa using the option of having 65,000+ income per month over 12 months.

My question is, does it need to be 65K every single month for 12, or should the average income over 12 months be not less than 65K.

Some months i had less than 65K, but other months allot more, however when all 12 months are added together it exceeds 900K income for the year which mean the average monthly was more than 65K.

Also what should i ask the bank for when i go get this proof of income doc.

Appreciate your help in advance 

I extended mine for retirement on 19 Mar  using the income method, no embassy letter. It is 65K or more per month for 12 consecutive months and IO office did check and verified this. I use Bangkok bank and had two different letters from them to prove month transfers from outside Thailand. One was to prove ownership of my account and the other listed my monthly FTT deposits with credit advice letters for each deposit attached.  Had my bank book plus proof of my monthly income/pension with me but was not asked to show them. The letters was what the bank insisted what I needed and the IO was OK with it.

• Like 1

With less than 65,000 in the lowest month you should be able to use the combined income + deposit method. If your lowest monthly income was 50,000 and I understand the rules correctly then you should need a deposit of (65,000 - 50,000) x 12 = 180,000. But I am not sure and have no experience with that myself.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Ecosudmon said:

With less than 65,000 in the lowest month you should be able to use the combined income + deposit method. If your lowest monthly income was 50,000 and I understand the rules correctly then you should need a deposit of (65,000 - 50,000) x 12 = 180,000. But I am not sure and have no experience with that myself.

No. Most imm office will not accept.

These threads come up almost daily. Along with the proof money come from overseas.

Eventually all extensions based on retirement will move to money in bank method as imm will make it more difficult. BTW monthly transfers are the most foolish way to bring in money to Thailand. Stick 800k in bank and forget about it. 

Please no mention joke transferwise. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why is that?

I did the 800,000 before but decided it was foolish to let the money sit in a foreign bank account.

The 65,000 works fine wire transfer from my home bank takes one day.

Really look into what that costs you over a year. Anyway I don't give a toss. People do there own thing. I bring in green twice a year. Exchange superrich green. Right now I use OFX 20kaud at a time same as transferwise. Have no choice. 

21 hours ago, Ecosudmon said:

I do 50k per month = 600k, and have 200k in a bank account. My IO in P'lok will accept that. 

I don't want to upset him by asking if the 200k can go down to 100k for 7 months of the year!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, bkk6060 said:

Why is that?

I did the 800,000 before but decided it was foolish to let the money sit in a foreign bank account.

The 65,000 works fine wire transfer from my home bank takes one day.

Not to mention the little matter of bank fraud which, unfortunately, most of those who sing the praises of the 800k method on here to the highest heavens as if it was the best thing since sliced bread appear to be in complete denial of. Maybe only a small risk but one which, nevertheless, could have particularly dire consequences these days.

Up until just over the year ago, the Immigration requirement was to have a minimum 800k deposited in your bank account for only a 3-month seasoning period in advance of a retirement extension application. So, unless you were particularly unlucky and a fraudster struck during this seasoning period, at least you had an opportunity to rectify any consequential shortfall. However, since your bank account is now under the Immigration spotlight year round (800k for 5 months + 400k for the remaining 7 months), such an opportunity is no longer available - meaning that it could be curtains for you as far as future retirement extensions are concerned should a fraudster strike.

The 65k monthly transfer method works equally fine for me in identical circumstances to yours! 

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Thank you to everyone for their input.

The reason i am not going the 800K in the bank route is because I run a online business and the revenue i generate goes to a overseas bank, and from their i transfer to my kasikorn account to pay the mortgage, car, university fees for daughter and other living expenses. My income is around 70 -100K a month, but some months i did not transfer the full 65K, as I used my debit card to pay for stuff.

I will continue to use the income method, and if their is a issue because some months i did not transfer 65K, then i will just use another more convenient, less questions asked method.

• Like 1

I just wrote an extensive report on renewing an O-A Visa based on marriage. Apparently it was not accepted by TV but nonetheless I did make reference to how they calculated my monthly deposits. I was missing a foreign deposit in December. She added up all deposits and divided by 12 and then stated why are you changing over to Visa based on marriage when you have more than enough to renew your O-A. I said for insurance reasons.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, streetlite said:

I just wrote an extensive report on renewing an O-A Visa based on marriage. Apparently it was not accepted by TV but nonetheless I did make reference to how they calculated my monthly deposits. I was missing a foreign deposit in December. She added up all deposits and divided by 12 and then stated why are you changing over to Visa based on marriage when you have more than enough to renew your O-A. I said for insurance reasons.

A OA visa is only issued for retirement. You apparently had a entry from a OA visa that you extended based upon marriage instead of retirement.

For a extension based upon marriage a average income of 40k baht over a year is allowed but not for an extension based upon retirement.

]\OK heres one for you-----Have been in Thailand 13 yrs and have always had 800000 in bank so no trouble getting visa  however I renewed my passport in 2017 and they gave me OA which I immediately changed back to my 800,000 method so no problems again,Now I just went to get new Visa and was told rules changed and I have to go back to OA again and as I do not have 65,000 going into my bank I had to give him 18,000 and he would give me what I wanted,my visa based on the 800,000.He also said this would happen now every yr for me.I think I have been the victim of a gigantic fraud

41 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

]\OK heres one for you-----Have been in Thailand 13 yrs and have always had 800000 in bank so no trouble getting visa  however I renewed my passport in 2017 and they gave me OA which I immediately changed back to my 800,000 method so no problems again,Now I just went to get new Visa and was told rules changed and I have to go back to OA again and as I do not have 65,000 going into my bank I had to give him 18,000 and he would give me what I wanted,my visa based on the 800,000.He also said this would happen now every yr for me.I think I have been the victim of a gigantic fraud

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

The visa you used to get the permit to stay you have been extending does not change ever unless you go to an embassy or consulate to apply for the visa.

It is  the same financial requirements for an extension based upon retirement for a non-oa visa or non-o visa entry.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not to mention the little matter of bank fraud which, unfortunately, most of those who sing the praises of the 800k method on here to the highest heavens as if it was the best thing since sliced bread appear to be in complete denial of. Maybe only a small risk but one which, nevertheless, could have particularly dire consequences these days.

Up until just over the year ago, the Immigration requirement was to have a minimum 800k deposited in your bank account for only a 3-month seasoning period in advance of a retirement extension application. So, unless you were particularly unlucky and a fraudster struck during this seasoning period, at least you had an opportunity to rectify any consequential shortfall. However, since your bank account is now under the Immigration spotlight year round (800k for 5 months + 400k for the remaining 7 months), such an opportunity is no longer available - meaning that it could be curtains for you as far as future retirement extensions are concerned should a fraudster strike.

The 65k monthly transfer method works equally fine for me in identical circumstances to yours! 

You seem a bit paranoid.

1 hour ago, biplanebluey said:

Let us have a go at this......  bit of guesswork here, beware,

When you got the new passport in 2017, did you get a new visa (an O-A) in your home country too, rather than transfer the old extension to the new passport? 

There was a rule change in Oct 2019 which obligated medical insurance on retirement extensions based on an Original O-A Visa. It sounds like you were offered an 18,000 baht agent type retirement extension to get around that requirement.

Yes every year, unless you get a Non-Imm-O entry (to replace the O-A) to base your extension on.... or get a marriage extension.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, streetlite said:

I have been asking people on various forums if anyone has extended their O-A Visa based upon marriage for the last 6 months and, I have had no replies. Most renewed on an Non O marriage. I changed my O-A retirement to marriage at the beginning of Oct 2019 just before Insurance was required. I have been inquiring if anyone who has renewed their extension based upon an O-A marriage if they had to have the required Thai Insurance. You are the first person that has stated it was not required based upon marriage. Although, I did my 90 day report last week and asked them if I needed Thai medical insurance for my next extension (September 2020), They checked my passport and said I do need the required insurance. They told me to go on-line and get a policy before next extension. Sometimes I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone in dealing with this Office (Udon).

Can anyone respond with some encouragement concerning Thai Medical Insurance, needed, yes or no based upon marriage extension. My concern is that I am too old (72) to obtain required Insurance.

33 minutes ago, Morning Person said:

Can anyone respond with some encouragement concerning Thai Medical Insurance, needed, yes or no based upon marriage extension.

Insurance is not required for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

Insurance is only mentioned in the clause of the police order for retirement.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

The visa you used to get the permit to stay you have been extending does not change ever unless you go to an embassy or consulate to apply for the visa.

It is  the same financial requirements for an extension based upon retirement for a non-oa visa or non-o visa entry.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, Morning Person said:

I have been asking people on various forums if anyone has extended their O-A Visa based upon marriage for the last 6 months and, I have had no replies. Most renewed on an Non O marriage. I changed my O-A retirement to marriage at the beginning of Oct 2019 just before Insurance was required. I have been inquiring if anyone who has renewed their extension based upon an O-A marriage if they had to have the required Thai Insurance. You are the first person that has stated it was not required based upon marriage. Although, I did my 90 day report last week and asked them if I needed Thai medical insurance for my next extension (September 2020), They checked my passport and said I do need the required insurance. They told me to go on-line and get a policy before next extension. Sometimes I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone in dealing with this Office (Udon).

Can anyone respond with some encouragement concerning Thai Medical Insurance, needed, yes or no based upon marriage extension. My concern is that I am too old (72) to obtain required Insurance.

The health insurance is only mandatory when having an O-A Long Term Visa obtained in your home country, issued after October 31 2019, and for a 1 year extension based on an initial O-A Visa. 

On 4/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

Well mine has changed.My application was the 3rd in my new passport and all on 800,00 method,but this yr I had to pay 16,ooo to get this yrs ret extbecause of some sort of new requirement for a insurance which she did not understand either.I have since been told to just pay and walk out as any big fuss will only make life for me difficult(more) next year

On 4/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, jacko45k said:

Let us have a go at this......  bit of guesswork here, beware,

When you got the new passport in 2017, did you get a new visa (an O-A) in your home country too, rather than transfer the old extension to the new passport? 

There was a rule change in Oct 2019 which obligated medical insurance on retirement extensions based on an Original O-A Visa. It sounds like you were offered an 18,000 baht agent type retirement extension to get around that requirement.

Yes every year, unless you get a Non-Imm-O entry (to replace the O-A) to base your extension on.... or get a marriage extension.

The new passport has nothing to do with his visa or extensions in Thailand. The passport is issued by his government and an O-A Visa by a Thai Embassy or consulate in his home country. As long as your visa/extension is valid, you just transfer the stamps. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

24 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Well mine has changed.My application was the 3rd in my new passport and all on 800,00 method,but this yr I had to pay 16,ooo to get this yrs ret extbecause of some sort of new requirement for a insurance which she did not understand either.I have since been told to just pay and walk out as any big fuss will only make life for me difficult(more) next year

There was a change effective on October 31st of last year that insurance is required if you used a OA long stay visa issued by an embassy or consulate in your home country to get the entry you have been extending.

I am 73, a US citizen married to Thai woman for 10 yrs, with a non-immigrant O/A retirement visa. My 1 yr extension needs to be renewed by April 12. I have bank records of USA direct deposit into my Bangkok Bank account showing a minimum of 65,000 baht coming in. Because of the threat of the Covid19, I do not want to visit immigration office in person. What options do I have? Thank you.

20 hours ago, Lopburi99 said:

I am 73, a US citizen married to Thai woman for 10 yrs, with a non-immigrant O/A retirement visa. My 1 yr extension needs to be renewed by April 12. I have bank records of USA direct deposit into my Bangkok Bank account showing a minimum of 65,000 baht coming in. Because of the threat of the Covid19, I do not want to visit immigration office in person. What options do I have? Thank you.

Your permission to stay will expire April 12 and you'll be on overstay. I think your only option is to put your mask on and go to your local immigration office to extend your stay another year. 

On 4/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

For a extension based upon marriage a average income of 40k baht over a year is allowed but not for an extension based upon retirement.

UJ, while I agree with you that an average of 40k over the year is what appears to be the rule for an extension based on marriage, that is definitely not accepted in Si Racha. I've always done a retirement ext in the past (with an original non O), but due to the erratic exchange rate, I changed to a marriage extension a month ago. I transfer my pensions in two separate payments every month, totalling 50-60k pm, and at first they didn't want to accept more than one transfer per month, but then agreed that it was OK. The IO then proceeded to check every single month to confirm 40k+ was transferred each and every month, which it was. I asked but, although my total transfers were 620k for the year, she insisted she had to check because an average wasn't acceptable. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:51 AM, Max69xl said:

The health insurance is only mandatory when having an O-A Long Term Visa obtained in your home country, issued after October 31 2019, and for a 1 year extension based on an initial O-A Visa. 

... AND when you are applying for that 1-year extension based on your original O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When you are applying for a different reason (e.g. marriage / dependant child) the requirements are different and the health-insurance will NOT be required (see also Ubonjoe's post #18).

23 hours ago, Lopburi99 said:

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Your permission to stay will expire April 12 and you'll be on overstay. I think your only option is to put your mask on and go to your local immigration office to extend your stay another year. 

When your local IO is a large one, you might be able to find an agent to do that application in person for you.  Should not cost very much, as the agent would only have to hand-over the full bundle of evidence you prepared, and collect on approval your passport with the 1-year extension.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, Morning Person said:

I have been asking people on various forums if anyone has extended their O-A Visa based upon marriage for the last 6 months and, I have had no replies.

There are some posts ... but they are difficult to dig out.   For example post#5 in this thread by user tango sierra:  

I recall reading a small number of other success stories as well, but it would take time to dig them out.  I did not book mark them (I found the above doing a google search via the following search criteria:  " "type oa" "marriage" site:https://forum.thaivisa.com/  "

Edited by oldcpu