W Embassy letter got this stamp, what does it mean?

hello all. thanks for all the information and advice shared here on this forum. very helpful. 

like many on here, i was left without an option to do a 'border run' when all borders were shut down. learned through another thread started from @ubonjoe that i can ask for a 30 day extension at immigration. went to immigration and was told that i needed a personalized letter (with my name and passport number) from my embassy to get the extension. got the letter and was given the following stamp. 

the immigration officer told me that i would need to return with a 'new letter' (not sure what would be the difference with the current letter?) 

what does this stamp mean? i am sure that there are many of us that received this under consideration stamp. 

visa redacted.JPG

sharing another response from another thread. the explanation that was given applied for an ED visa which may or may not apply to my tourist visa extension. 

wondering if this is conclusive? seems too good to be true and i would rather find out the bad news early and prepare for it in advance. 

response.JPG

I got the same stamp this morning from Changwattana. Seems this is this COVID emergency visa. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my last Non-O extension. I didn't need to show my kids' birth certificates, home address, lease, and she didn't even take my passport front page. 

I asked if I needed to bring another letter from the (US) embassy when I come back and she said "Yes, new letter with new date".

I have a Non-O single entry guardian. Already did the 60 day extension. Maybe something to do with them waiting to see how long the borders are closed? Maybe biding time for this?  

IMG_20200330_124126.jpg

Edited by dayward1
Post a photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Others have gotten the same stamp instead of a normal extension stamp.

When does your current permit to stay end?

I think you will need another letter from your embassy when you go back and they will do another under consideration stamp. But I think things are likely to change extension wise before then.

Need another letter when I go back on the 23rd? Good to know.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

It means that the immigration official you dealt with was not of a high enough rank to approve the extension directly. It needs to be signed off at a higher level. With very rare exceptions, this sign off is automatic. When you go back at the report back date on the under consideration stamp, you will get additional days without needing to pay any more money.

This matches with what I was told - "the chief wasn't here today." and that I would just need to show my 1900 baht receipt when I returned and they would extend it longer.  However, as I informed @bangkokboy888 and others in another post, I won't take that as gospel and will hopefully get another letter from the US Embassy (just in case) for my return around April 22.

I extend using a work permit, and I get this stamp every single year. For me, it is what @ubonjoe said - it requires approval from a higher ranking officer, as well as further confirmation of the mountain of paperwork submitted with the extension request. In the case of these tourist extensions, my bet it is simply due to a serious backlog. Let's hope that the news of an automatic 60 day extension proposal turns into news of the proposal being approved, and all of this gets simpler and easier for these folks.

1 hour ago, BigJ said:

This matches with what I was told - "the chief wasn't here today." and that I would just need to show my 1900 baht receipt when I returned and they would extend it longer.  However, as I informed @bangkokboy888 and others in another post, I won't take that as gospel and will hopefully get another letter from the US Embassy (just in case) for my return around April 22.

I think the reason why they ask people to bring along a new letter is because they'll let you apply for yet another extension when you go there again.

What I mean is that they will give you the remainder of 30 days without extra charge and requirements when you show up after the "under consideration" period is up, but at the same time, they'll let you apply for another 30 days extension (assuming that nothing changes) which requires a new set of papers and payment.

22 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I’m not affected by this so purely out of interest, are embassies charging for these letters?

Most embassies are providing the letters free. A handful are charging (30 EUR has been reported). A very few embassies are abandoning their citizens altogether, and refusing to provide letters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

The German embassy definitely not, and afaik at other embassies it's free as well.

US Embassy Provided A Letter Without Their Address. Chiang Rai IO Initially Requested A New Letter With The Address On It. Then After Talking To The Branch Chief IO, Wanted Paaper Copies Of The Email Thread From US Embassy & Myself. Received My 30 Day Extension After Paying My 1900bht. Hopefully The Proposed Plan Of Extension Till End Of June Is Approved. 

G. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Most embassies are providing the letters free. A handful are charging (30 EUR has been reported). A very few embassies are abandoning their citizens altogether, and refusing to provide letters.

With the reputation the British Embassy has I dare say they’re both charging and abandoning 

I got exactly same stamp today and was told that my documents will be sent to BKK for approval. I was asked to call the Immigration on the date of expiration to get an update.

Edited by Zikomat

On 3/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think you will need another letter from your embassy when you go back and they will do another under consideration stamp. But I think things are likely to change extension wise before then.

I don't agree with your 3rd sentence Joe. A friend of mine just went to Chiang Mai last week after receiving his letter from the British Embassy. 2 things happened when he went to Immigration. #1. He was fined 500 baht per day, for 5 days overstay, because the British Embassy had previously refused to issue him with a letter as they said they were not obligated to do so, despite Immigration having previously made it know to all and sundry that this would be a requirement #2. He received the under consideration stamp in his passport which was for 20 days from his then permitted to stay to date ( including the 5 days overstay ) and he then has to return to CM. He was told that if approved he would receive an extra 10 days extension, being a total of 30 days. No additional paperwork will be required.  After reading about the possible automatic extension to 30 June, he is hopeful that when he returns to CM Imm Office that will be the case.

Edited by TigerandDog

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I don't agree with your 3rd sentence Joe

Read what Joe wrote carefully. If the rules remain as they are currently, on return after 20 days, you will automatically get the extra 10 days. However, only if you have the required paperwork, you will also be allowed to apply for a further extension at the same time. As Joe stated, 20 days is an eternity in the current situation, and the procedures will almost certainly have changed completely before then.

On 3/30/2020 at 12:34 PM, dayward1 said:

I got the same stamp this morning from Changwattana. Seems this is this COVID emergency visa. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my last Non-O extension. I didn't need to show my kids' birth certificates, home address, lease, and she didn't even take my passport front page. 

I asked if I needed to bring another letter from the (US) embassy when I come back and she said "Yes, new letter with new date".

I have a Non-O single entry guardian. Already did the 60 day extension. Maybe something to do with them waiting to see how long the borders are closed? Maybe biding time for this?  

IMG_20200330_124126.jpg

So this Covid extension stamp takes one whole page?

Why do they need another stamp in Thai at the bottom?

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

I wonder why Thai government require these letters? Isn't a passport enough?

What if the embassy refused to provide letters or the embassy is situated only in Bangkok?

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

With the reputation the British Embassy has I dare say they’re both charging and abandoning 

The British Embassy replied and sent the letter to me within 3 days of the application and there was no charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

thanks @ubonjoe i am on a exempt stamp entry and extended once already. 

am preparing for asking for another letter at the end of this week.