Pattaya and the virus: Large crowds queue for cheap masks at Makro

webfact

Pattaya and the virus: Large crowds queue for cheap masks at Makro

6pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported that a large and eager crowd gathered at Makro in North Pattaya on Sunday to buy cheap face masks.

People had heard it was the last day that the Department of Internal Trade (DIT) were selling packs of 4 for ten baht. 

There were only 300 packs left when the selling started, said the media. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Pictures showed a large amount of people in masks queueing though whether they were "social distancing" or staying 1-2 meters apart was a moot point. 

Last week Siam Makro said they were making it a requirement for shoppers at their stores in Thailand to wear face masks during the continuing Covid-19 crisis, notes Thaivisa.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-30
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

People had heard it was the last day that the Department of Internal Trade (DIT) were selling packs of 4 for ten baht. 

So what, they already exported all the other remaining masks, and those few were the only ones leftover in Thailand???

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And yet they are only able to provide 300 packs of four for sale. At the same time that more places are following suit in insisting on customers wear one, it is becoming much harder to find anywhere that has any at all, and the prices are heading steadily upward despite the government assuring us price gouging would not be allowed under any circumstance.

As we were told some weeks back, if people who are not sick use masks, there will not be enough when large numbers of people actually get sick, which is just coming home to roost here.

I only know of one place which insists on wearing a mask who actually have them available for sale, though I suspect they will sell out shortly too.

Using an old mask is going to be more unhealthy than not wearing one, so I foresee this issue getting messy in weeks to come. Pray they contain it here soon, so things can start to get back to normal.

But masks are everywhere for Thai, so why foreigners cannot fin them ?!

https://bit.ly/39A5glX

Many pharmacies have them also !

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And yet they are only able to provide 300 packs of four for sale. At the same time that more places are following suit in insisting on customers wear one, it is becoming much harder to find anywhere that has any at all, and the prices are heading steadily upward despite the government assuring us price gouging would not be allowed under any circumstance.

As we were told some weeks back, if people who are not sick use masks, there will not be enough when large numbers of people actually get sick, which is just coming home to roost here.

I only know of one place which insists on wearing a mask who actually have them available for sale, though I suspect they will sell out shortly too.

Using an old mask is going to be more unhealthy than not wearing one, so I foresee this issue getting messy in weeks to come. Pray they contain it here soon, so things can start to get back to normal.

If you and the other mod's allowed us to post links here where to buy them for a good price it would be much easyier for everyone to buy real N95 masks online.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Many of the mask I see Thai wearing are now self made by locals who got a hold of a sewing machine. They are just taking simple cloth and sewing them. There have been news reports Thai T.V. these mask are no up to standard the sewing is all uneven. There are also lots of people making mask and selling them online.

• Like 1