Emergency fund from 2020 Thai budget running dry, Bureau reports

webfact

Emergency fund from 2020 budget running dry, Bureau reports

By THE NATION

800_5623affa530785c.jpg?v=1585539996

Dechapiwat na Songkhla

The emergency fund of Bt96 billion from the fiscal 2020 budget has been nearly used up, Dechapiwat na Songkhla, director of the Budget Bureau, has said.

He said the Bureau will report the matter to the Cabinet on Tuesday (March 31).

“If the government does not make a decision soon, we might not have enough funds for additional measures to cope with Covid-19 and the drought problem,” he added.

Dechapiwat explained that the budget, which has been nearly used up, included Bt18 billion to help people who are affected by Covid-19 and drought, Bt45 billion for cash handouts of Bt5,000 per person for three months for those who are not insured under social security, and Bt2 billion as compensation of interest for the Government Housing Bank as part of the government’s campaign to support house buyers.

“The Bureau will propose two approaches to solve this problem: the first approach is to have the Ministry of Finance issue an emergency loan decree,” he said. “However, this approach will need to consider whether it complies with the Constitution, as Section 140 stipulates the emergency loan decree is only allowed for expenditures approved in the budget spending list.

Meanwhile, the Constitution’s Section 172 stipulates that loan for emergency can be immediately approved. This approach may take some time, as we will need the Constitutional Court’s ruling first.”

The second approach, according to Dechapiwat, is to have the Cabinet issue the Budget Transfer Act to transfer unused budget from government agencies that have leftover budget or no immediate projects to use it in the next few months to emergency fund. “This approach can be done faster and has no legal obstacles,” he added. “However, it is up to the Cabinet to consider which approach to use to fix the problem.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385052

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-30

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the Constitution’s Section 172 stipulates that loan for emergency can be immediately approved. This approach may take some time, as we will need the Constitutional Court’s ruling first.”

I don't see a problem here as the Constitution Court always seems more than happy to do the government's bidding.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

As would stopping the corruption which has no doubt also seen a healthy chunk "diverted."

I find it quite ironic that the ability to "divert" funds in large numbers, swiftly from one place to another exists already within the ranks of the government, though they will be unable to acknowledge said ability, without people asking how they knew how to do it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exparte said:

14 Million signed up for the Cash Hand-outs of 5,000 baht for three months. That is a total of 210 Billion Baht alone. More than double the total amount of their "Emergency Fund".

but did they pay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, of course those submarines and military grade choppers were completely necessary purchases. 

They also spend nearly $1 billion per year on another highly necessary establishment (I'll leave that to answer yourself). 

• Haha 2

Just wondering that in Thailand like in Thailand, i'll be utterly gobsmacked to learn if there weren't some middlemen with vested interests to somehow syphon some of emergency funds to their pocket...

• Like 1

In my village yesterday, the Local Authority visited my SIL,s house to give out free safety products for the Household.

They received the following

1 x Baby sized Face Mask

1 X 50 Ml bottle of Hand Sanitiser

The Household has 5, yes 5  residents, non of which is a baby.

My question is this. 

if the Local Authorities are not supplying the people with these products, where are they all going ?

10 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

In my village yesterday, the Local Authority visited my SIL,s house to give out free safety products for the Household.

They received the following

1 x Baby sized Face Mask

1 X 50 Ml bottle of Hand Sanitiser

The Household has 5, yes 5  residents, non of which is a baby.

My question is this. 

if the Local Authorities are not supplying the people with these products, where are they all going ?

dont be  stupid, you  all take it in turns to share the mask, dont know why they dont give out SOAP cheaper and  as  effective

21 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering that in Thailand like in Thailand, i'll be utterly gobsmacked to learn if there weren't some middlemen with vested interests to somehow syphon some of emergency funds to their pocket...

Well there seems to be all sorts of other scams going on ( some that have been found out - 200M face masks Etc ) and probably many that have not reared their ugly heads.

As they haven't actually used any of the budget yet (like nobody has been paid) I think what he means is that there have been more applications than they expected.

Careful scrutiny of all applications will most likely lead to many rejections, but hey that would involve a bit of work, easier just to ask for more money!