BANGKOK
Andy from Kent

Experiences with Nord and Express VPN's in Thailand

Anybody tried both?

What are yer thoughts about each and which do you think is better?

Can either get past geo blocking with banks and credit cards?

I'd like one that allows for exceeding the monthly limit of reading newspaper articles for some newspapers.     Does either Nord or Express allow for that?  

Posted (edited)

I've been using ExpressVPN for a couple of years on a monthly plan with no complaints. I use TH or SG endpoint normally for speed, and NY, LA or London for getting around geo-blocking. Ping gets higher with the latter ones obviously, but they're all usable. Nord did have the security breach a while back and that's all I can say about them.

To exceed the monthly reading limit on sites you probably can clear cookies relating to that domain (and possibly others they use for tracking), or read them using a private browsing window/tab in your browser.

Edited by markwhite
  • Like 2

I use Express VPN, excellent results, excellent service.

They resolve almost all problems when they occur.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bungcheese said:

I use Nord today, and have also used IP Vanish. Ive never used Express, so cannot speak to that product. As far as the banks are concerned, it depends on the bank. Some banks don't block VPNs while others do. I purchased a 3 year plan with Nord for about $100, so far so good. Nord really has the best pricing and the best VPN product as per the reviews. I am not sure what you mean about "monthly limit"? In general, Nord does not have any sort of limiter on anything.

Thanks  bung,

I enjoy reading newspapers from around the world and  look at NYT as well as Bloomburg.com.  and other financial sites that have reading limitations.  They do have monthly limits.    The limits I talk about are not from a VPN.

28 minutes ago, markwhite said:

I've been using ExpressVPN for a couple of years on a monthly plan with no complaints. I use TH or SG endpoint normally for speed, and NY, LA or London for getting around geo-blocking. Ping gets higher with the latter ones obviously, but they're all usable. Nord did have the security breach a while back and that's all I can say about them.

To exceed the monthly reading limit on sites you probably can clear cookies relating to that domain (and possibly others they use for tracking), or read them using a private browsing window/tab in your browser.

Thanks mate,

Don't get me wrong, please, I do subscribe to a consolidator for newspapers so I hope I'm supporting the industry but I hardly have the dosh to subscribe to all of them.

I use a Mac and  the clearing of cookies and the cache  looks to also  possibly clear passwords and  "other things" that I would miss.

I thought using a VPN with  a purported minimal to none DNS leak would  allow easy continued access to those site I find limiting. 

28 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I use Nord. No problems at all.

Thanks   mate,

I've used Reliable Hosting  and can say  I have really not had problems but  I also know  by  test they have  a genuine  DNS  leak that is not OK for me.

Thanks for the vote for Nord.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Using NordVPN for about one year now.

Works well, does the jobs for me that I need.

Just connected to a US server and ran both DNS leak tests with this site:

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

No leak found.

The only server found is from "Total Server Solutions L.L.C." which is the one that I am connected (right now).

Thanks mate,

That sounds like boots on the ground intel.

Did you ever try ExpressVPN in the past?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Did you ever try ExpressVPN in the past?

No. Just seen a few #1 tests/reviews.

But I have no need to spend more than for NordVPN.

For years I had used CyberGhost but was unhappy with speed.

A short episode with PureVPN which is considered "suspicious" by some reviewers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. Just seen a few #1 test reviews.

But I have no need to spend more than for NordVPN.

For years I had used CyberGhost but was unhappy with speed.

A short episode with PureVPN which is considered "suspicious" by some reviewers.

Thanks mate.

Posted (edited)

Not quite what you're asking for but give Epic browser a try, it has a built in free vpn and I use it to watch UK tv plus for internet banking if I want to be really secure. Epic also claims to be the most secure browser on the market so give it a try as it's 100% free. Obviously only the browser pages are going through a vpn not any programs but I did use Identity Cloaker for a number of years and that was successful in bypassing censorship in China, Egypt & Iran, only stopped using it through retirement.

ps it's compatible with 90 day reporting.

Edited by sandrabbit
ps

I don't believe there is a VPN that will allow free access to online paid subscription services such as newspapers, magazines and streaming services.