1 Year Extension Based on Marriage 400k Question

Can someone please clarify if the 400k on deposit for a 1 year extension needs to have proof the money came from overseas?

I ask because due to the Corona Virus I will most likely need to seek a 1 year extension instead of going to Penang for another Non O ME visa. I have sufficient funds in the bank but the money was originally deposited from Singapore into a Thai HSBC account 12 years ago, then when HSBC closed its non-corporate operations some eight years ago, the money transferred to a Krungsri account; Krungsri took over HSBC's non-corporate customers. However, looking at the Krungsri passbook there's no indication where the money came from.

No.

But they always tell my to put there more than just 400 000 baht.

They like to see for example ~500 000 baht and monthly withdrawals/deposits. If you just put there 400k and let it sit for 3 months you might run into issues with some officers.

25 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Can someone please clarify if the 400k on deposit for a 1 year extension needs to have proof the money came from overseas?

( at Jomtien) They have never asked for proof from me that funds came from overseas...they have asked where it came from and I told them..but they never asked to see proof.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

No.

They like to see for example ~500 000 baht and monthly withdrawals/deposits. If you just put there 400k and let it sit for 3 months you might run into issues with some officers.

It's been sat there for 8 years in the Krungsri Time Deposit, I've taken funds from it, but it remains significantly more than the 400k. They can see my savings account which is the one that receives funds for my general living expenses. The money on deposit is last resorts fall back money.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

No.

always had 400K in my FTD exactly, never 1 baht more. never had a problem in 7 years and 6 different IOs

the rule is 400K in a bank not 'a bit more than 400K' or '400K and monthly withdrawals/deposits'

if they ask what you spend day to day, show them. it will not affect your extension though as the qualification has already been met.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

always had 400K in my FTD exactly, never 1 baht more. never had a problem in 7 years and 6 different IOs

the rule is 400K in a bank not 'a bit more than 400K' or '400K and monthly withdrawals/deposits'

if they ask what you spend day to day, show them. it will not affect your extension though as the qualification has already been met.

I like this idea, I can save paper/trees from the amount of papers required from my bank book, e.g. they want copies from 2015, waste of paper and trees, might run this by them and see if they will accept a term deposit from now on.

Edited by 4MyEgo

31 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

The requirement is 400K on a personal thai bank-account during the 2 months BEFORE doing the 1-year extension application for your Non Imm O - marriage.

It is recommended to keep the 400K in your thai bank-acount until your application has been approved (can take 3 weeks).  The rest of the year you can use that money as you please, e.g. to cover your expenses, but it needs to be topped up again 2 months before your next extension application. 

Note: There is no need to keep more than 400K on your account, but be aware that depending on the type of bank-account you have, it is possible that the bank will withdraw a yearly banking-fee.

So in order not to fall under the two-month 400K tresshold, it is suggested to have a bit more on the account in case the bank withdraws that banking-fee during the required seasoning period.

• Like 1