Sanitising banknotes

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Oh god so much work i have been senitiseing my piles of cash for hours now with the help of the missus and her family who get to keep the really dirty banknotes and still long way to go, what a drag to be so rich...

did they accept Cash as a method of paying them to help?

Aren't we getting a little bit over the top with this sanitising bank notes? After I get change I pull out the small bottle of sanitiser and clean my hands. I don't think I'm at much risk from an infected banknote sitting in my wallet. When I eventually pull money out of the wallet to spend - again use the bottle of sanitser.

If we follow some of the DIY instructions above, presumably we would be carrying the sanitisation paraphernalia to Big C and Makro with us to use on the spot at the checkout for notes received in change, before we ever touched them.

Disclaimer - I've never had the urge to shove a banknote in my mouth or up my nose (ahem - well not in recent years anyway) so my risk of infection is fairly low. This may not apply to you depending on your personal fetishes/drug use.

• Like 2

I have bundles of notes, 50's and 20's and a jar of loose change so that I don't need to get change when I spend money.

If I go did get change, then the weak spot is that I'd have to put the change away before cleaning my hands - possibly infecting my pocket also... so it's best to avoid it. I have a bag to put dirty change in, and I told my wife to spray her credit card and clean her hands if she uses a card.

I'm curious how many folks prefer gel to alchohol - I carry a spray with pure isopropyl alchohol and find I don't need moisturizers as it doesn't dry my skin - but it's great for spraying handles if you take out a shopping trolley...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emmess said:
2 hours ago, rabas said:

70% alcohol

Where to get this please?

Buy 95% or 100% Ethyl alcohol from Lazada and dilute with water to 70-75% alcohol.

You can use 'blue' alcohol on banknotes but it may slowly change the tone,  but not a big deal.

You can also use 70% isopropyl alcohol from Lazada.

The 30% water is required to kill viruses.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Afaik viruses and bacteria die above 70 degree celsius.

I think the easiest way would to put it in an oven at 80 degrees (if you have an oven...) and put the money inside.

You could just put the whole wallet in the oven.

Edited by jackdd

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik viruses and bacteria die above 70 degree celsius.

I think the easiest way would to put it in an oven at 80 degrees (if you have an oven...) and put the money inside.

You could just put the whole wallet in the oven.

But doesnt the virus thrive in a human body where the temp is 98 degrees (37 C). 

• Confused 2

You can disinfect them with a hand sprayer such as Lysol, 7th generation multi-surface cleaner or equivalent using hydrogen peroxide/water and bleach solutions.

Using a microwave might not work well if it creates steam droplets that might then re-invent bills.

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I make sure I have the correct change if I can't use internet banking or credit card.

The whole financial system is changing to digital soon( I heard from former Minister of Finance, "Korn', so that is good(if you hold digital currencies).

Sorry - i can't stop laughing!!!

If your worried about this try steam ironing then both sides and adding some disinfectant (not bleach!) in the water.

the intense heat plus injection of steam plus disinfectant will kill all most bugs n germs.

• Like 1

Put your notes loose in a loose weave muslin bag and hang it on the clothes line.
The dry, the heat and the UV from the sun that penetrates the muslin should deal with any nasty germs within hours.
Return cash to wallet.

Take the bag (empty) with you when you go shopping, pay for your goods with cash from your wallet, then get the cashier to put the change in the bag.

Thus you never have to touch unclean cash, and when you get back home, hang it on the line again.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, skip the microwave.  CITIC from China reported that an old lady tried it there and burnt it - CITIC brought it up to boast about how they helped her recreate the serial #s etc.  Am sure no such help would be forthcoming here.

UV sterilizers maybe one way - but no way to test the effectiveness of the cheaper models sold on Lazada.

Freezing may not work - many of the European infections were at ski resorts.  

The countries with plastic notes (Canada, Australia, Singapore)... all have a big advantage right now. 

Fortunately, the infection from a touch has less viral load / less intense than one from a sneeze/cough.  I'd just go for constant hand washing after handling money.

• Like 1

I’m a professional at washing bank notes. For the low price of 32 baht I will wash all your bills just send to me or transfer to my bank account and I will withdraw the money and personally clean each bill for you. Lmao ???? 

• Thanks 1

Stop the madness and stop sanitizing your banknotes!

The more you move the banknotes around while attempting to sanitize the more microparticles is dislodged from the banknotes and released into the air you breathe.

The covid virus will die in a couple of days on the paper anyway, so if you withdraw a pile of cash for safekeeping just leave it be for a few days and stop touching it.

Btw the virus can attach itself to shoes so be mindful of that.

15 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

The idea was very good.  30 seconds at 800 Watt no problem; however 1 minute was problem

While you moved the cash around you released all those microparticles into the air.

Treat it like you would asbestos. What you're doing is completely counter intuitive and you're making it worse.