Sanitising banknotes

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

Put your notes loose in a loose weave muslin bag and hang it on the clothes line.
The dry, the heat and the UV from the sun that penetrates the muslin should deal with any nasty germs within hours.
Return cash to wallet.

Take the bag (empty) with you when you go shopping, pay for your goods with cash from your wallet, then get the cashier to put the change in the bag.

Thus you never have to touch unclean cash, and when you get back home, hang it on the line again.

PM me your address, I'd like to come over to see a demonstration..

28 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Just keep on washing your hands or santize them.

Do it all the time.

And get in the habit of never touching your face, eyes, mouth or nose with your bare hands. If you get an itch use your shirt sleeve or carry a clean bandana to rub the itch.

I think sanitizing banknotes is the wrong approach. Your expectation should be that anything (including but not limited to banknotes) you touch is potentially contaminated. The only sane conclusion from this is that you need to sanitize or wash your hands frequently.

33 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

You should take this down, I'm pretty sure defacing thai bank notes is illegal. It may be only if willfully done but, not worth taking the chance now. You would'nt want to be in a Thai jail when Covid hits...

Yes, you might be right. You know how I can take the pictures out???

On 3/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, Guderian said:

I think just using methylated spirits has the same effectiveness, and at least that evaporates quickly.

The alcohol concentration is probably too high to be as effective as it could be. You want about 70% ethanol for the fastest kill time.

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Didn't your mama teach you to make your bed?

Sammy has a tendency to be a real <deleted> but he’s also usually generous probably why he’s generous. I love Sammy. 

Edited by JimLuce

Admitedly not Thai notes, but I had a thousand or so GBP refused by an exchange shop, because they had ink scribbles, pencil marks, rust from paperclips, and even felt-tip indelible ink on them.

I set out to launder the money, literally, using alcohol, neat household bleach, mek, acetone, thinners, and even scraping carefully with a knife. Once all traces of the marks were gone, I pressed them with a steam iron, at the hottest setting. Not one single note looked anything other than perfect at the end, and I seriously doubt that any virus could survive such treatment.

Pity money laundering is illegal........please don't dob me in!

• Haha 1

I put in a bunch of banknotes in the washing machine along with detergent, 1 cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda and after washing they went into the air dryer. Then hung them on a line set up directly towards the Sun. When dry, the Wife ironed them nice and wrinkle free. Not sure if it's 100% effective, but they sure look good.

Your guys are really funny... 

First virus on paper material can stay alive for maximal 24 hours, depends on the external condition, hence viruses need water/humidity to survive.

having said that, is quite simple: WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP  in the correct way, that all

Just a small advice do not KISS your money goodbye.. and maybe start to grow up...

47 minutes ago, SinCityGr8One said:

I put in a bunch of banknotes in the washing machine along with detergent, 1 cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda and after washing they went into the air dryer. Then hung them on a line set up directly towards the Sun. When dry, the Wife ironed them nice and wrinkle free. Not sure if it's 100% effective, but they sure look good.

You're probably good to go if you just iron them with steam.  >100°C will kill any virus.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:47 AM, Guderian said:

Can you kill a virus in the microwave oven, say cook your banknotes for 30 seconds on high? Any other suggestions?

Set fire to them Virus gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Venom said:

Yes, the buffalo are demanding it! 

My recent experience of purchasing anything in the UK, be it a simple newspaper or a pint of beer was that most customers paid with their swipe card. Real hard cash in the towns was becoming a rarity. 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, Lacessit said:

Put them out in direct sunlight for a couple of hours. Let me know when you are doing this, so I can come with my GF to help you.

Can do that or Google  " UV Sanitizing Products" or lights. They are sold on Ebay, Amazon,  Lazada ect. A large one will do an entire room in 30 mins. You cannot be in the room when its on. They have smalller ones that can kill all virus/bacteria on surfaces in about 30 seconds held 2---6 inches above. Cannot look at light or use on skin. They have UV safty glasses you can wear/buy.

2 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

I offer professional money laundering (Swiss), so I will pickup all your funds and return clean and shiny next day (minus small commission) ????

Please only 10000000 and up, no peanuts ????

Wasn’t he literally talking about washing the money from fear of the virus lol? 

5 hours ago, seabass69 said:

Shouldn’t this be in the Money Laundering Forum?????????

My picture probably looks like it lol it looks like a drug deal huh? But that was just a picture I took of my ICF money in Iraq in the military. Nothing illegal. The op was literally asking about washing the money from fear of germs ????

Edited by JimLuce

On 3/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, Guderian said:

I think keeping them in a disposable plastic bag is a good idea.

This is what I do. Pay with 1000 then have cashier put change in small plastic bag. Put the bag away. After some days I'll either let it all soak in water for an hour with soap or just go with it bc some days have past.

Normally I wouldn't be this paranoid but recall news stories of China destroying gobs of cash. Virus especially can live on coins.

SO you go and buy something, no matter what. Its in a shop, you open door...tingtong... its on the doorknob.

YOu sit in a taxi or whatever,..tingtong, who was before you and what about the driver?

The things you bought , tingtong, how many touched it?

The smoother the surface , the longer the virus lives, except on copper and paper is also not a good carrier for the virus.

SO be aware where your hands are and where you put them, clean them, otherwise you are... tingtong.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, seabass69 said:

Shouldn’t this be in the Money Laundering Forum?????????

Ya beat me to it!  On the lighter side, toilet paper is being hoarded here in the US (stuck until normal air travel).  The thought is that it will become the post-apocalyptic new currency so, instead of green backs, we will be using brown notes.

A serious reply. 

If you have an electric/gas oven, or a hot air convection cooker just set the temperature at 50-60C. Cover/wrap the notes in aluminum foil and leave in the oven for an hour or two. 

That's well below the kindling temperature of paper but well over the range that any virus can handle.