Covid-19: Tech police go after dozens of fake websites - Thais trick Thais slipping up in their own language!

webfact

Covid-19: Tech police go after dozens of fake websites - Thais trick Thais slipping up in their own language!

7pm2.jpg

File photo

Channel 7 reported that Thailand's tech police and the DES (digital economy and society ministry) are going after 44 people who started sites to possibly trick Thais over the 5,000 benefit handouts.

The official site to register for the handouts is www.เราไม่ทิ้งกัน.com - rao mai thing gan - we will not desert you. 

But people had set up names under a variety of ruses. 

One was simply to use the correct Thai spelling with bogus endings like .net, .org or .in.th for example. 

Others resorted to misspelling the Thai slightly with a different tone mark "เราไม่ทิ่งกัน", "เราไม้ทิ้งกัน" or "เราไม่ทิ๋งกัน. 

These look very similar but the tone marks are wrong and were designed to catch the unwary - or those who can't spell their own language properly.

Some resorted to misspellings in Thai AND wrong endings.

The authorities are investigating each site to determine what fraud, if any, is happening.

Forums across social media including Thaivisa have also been reporting difficulties in connection with accessing the registration for the 5,000 baht handouts that will last initially for three months, notes Thaivisa. 

Earlier it was reported that it would start at 8pm on Saturday. Banbks were closed Saturday and Sunday amid fears of overcrowding is people went into branches in department stores.

The correct link is as follows: www.เราไม่ทิ้งกัน.com

Though whether it will work is a moot point. 

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-30

44 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Now there is a bit of news i didn't see coming... Thais cheating Thais at the most difficult times, i'll be darn...

Then again, it is not because it is written in Thai, that (all) the schemes are done by Thai people ( not starting a polemic just saying that I am sure that other nationalities are involved as well ) 

either way, it is a shame 

"เราไม้ทิ้งกัน" or "เราไม่ทิ๋งกัน" I hope they don't fall for it. Thai written language is like programming code. All these little tonmarks are very important and distinctive (unlike the french accents è, é, ë) and everybody who finished Matajomton should be able to see the mistake. But then again... upcountry many  attended only Prathomsueksaa.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now there is a bit of news i didn't see coming... Thais cheating Thais at the most difficult times, i'll be darn...

happens all times all around the world. to make this a Thai thing is just disgusting. It says a lot about you. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, bangkokfrog said:

What I don't understand is why the government did not use a ".go.th" url and register and redirect from ".com", ".net", etc. Maybe too much forward thinking involved.

yes of course bc as we all know Thais are just stupid and incompetent idiots. Plz correct me if thats not what you so subtly suggest....

Edited by herwin1234

9 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

yes of course bc as we all know Thais are just stupid and incompetent idiots. Plz correct me if thats not what you so subtly suggest....

It is not that. You can find so many examples of domain names registered one letter off from popular domain names: amaazon.com, rueters.com, etc. People figured out a long time ago that mistyping is very common, and using parked pages with affiliate links and PPV links is easy money. It is so simple to type  ้  instead of  ่. Knowing this is the case, many companies purposely register those obvious mistakes and other TLDs just to "lock in" a domain.

47 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

BTW did you know that the anagram of your onscreen name is WHINER.

Funny that.

Rooster

• Haha 2