BANGKOK
R123

'Herd Immunity only way out'

Posted (edited)

Nice troll post. 

As I am not an expert of communicable diseases nor aware of what can be done to cure cases of serious infection then I am not very well placed to agree or disagree. 

Professionals who, on the other-hand, do know what to do I am sure are doing their best to do the right thing.  

Sheryl is correct however as a mate of mine who is waiting to have definitive tests as to whether of not he has cancer, is waiting for CT scans etc because his local hospital is currently preoccupied. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

It is beginning to look more and more like herd immunity is already a foregone conclusion. This virus spread far too long in far too many places before action was taken. It is now just a question of slowing the curve and getting to the point that immunity puts this virus in the corner.

• Like 2

Letting it run its course was largely what 2009 Swine flu pandemic did. The casualty number is not clear, but it was a lot even after several vaccines were made available.

A vaccine, if available and safer than the virus itself, would be welcome before letting it run rampant.

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What is being done in countries where it has reached the level of community spread will also achieve this, but at a slower rate so as to not totally overwhelm health services.

Allowing it to run rampant would get it over with faster but kill far more people, and not just the weakest and not just from COVID. Everyone in need of medical care would be jeopardized.

Thailand is at that stage in your opinion yes or no? 

46 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

Letting it run its course was largely what 2009 Swine flu pandemic did. The casualty number is not clear, but it was a lot even after several vaccines were made available.

A vaccine, if available and safer than the virus itself, would be welcome before letting it run rampant.

You are right to raise the issue of the swine flu - the last pandemic. Estimated casualty numbers vary, but the upper end is 1.4 billion infected with 500,000 dead (Wikipedia). Another factor with swine flu is that it died out in 2009 only to re-appear in 2010.

The economic impact of the approach to COVID 19 is going to be horrendous.  The suffering this will cause can only be imagined (or perhaps can't). I have asked myself, before Trump even raised it, - is the cure worse than the illness? 

Unfortunately I cannot answer my own question.  What I would like to have is a professional and definitive answer to the question - why is COVID 19 being treated differently to Swine Flu?

At a minimum 3% fatality rate....let's just work out the tens of millions of deaths worldwide....will shadow Spanish flu..

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Nice troll post. 

As I am not an expert of communicable diseases nor aware of what can be done to cure cases of serious infection then I am not very well placed to agree or disagree. 

Professionals who, on the other-hand, do know what to do I am sure are doing their best to do the right thing.  

Sheryl is correct however as a mate of mine who is waiting to have definitive tests as to whether of not he has cancer, is waiting for CT scans etc because his local hospital is currently preoccupied. 

You might want to hold back on troll accusations.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, baansgr said:

At a minimum 3% fatality rate....let's just work out the tens of millions of deaths worldwide....will shadow Spanish flu..

You have a point, but before we estimate the numbers relating to a 3% mortality rate we need to know the infection rate numbers. Some experts are predicting something closer to  a 1% mortality rate.  We will not know until it is over.

The world seemed to go to a lock down mentality before the extent of the spread was known.  History will, perhaps, show that this was the correct approach.  Until we get to that time I cannot help but have reservations.

Still, we have gone down that road and it is too late to change.  Time will tell.  

Edited by CRUNCHER

6 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

You have a point, but before we estimate the numbers relating to a 3% mortality rate we need to know the infection rate numbers. Some experts are predicting something closer to  a 1% mortality rate.  We will not know until it is over.

The world seemed to go to a lock down mentality before the extent of the spread was known.  History will, perhaps, show that this was the correct approach.  Until we get to that time I cannot help but have reservations.

Still, we have gone down that road and it is too late to change.  Time will tell.  

Of course...but would you like to put it to the Italians with almost 11% fatalities....herding can be done over a longer period....not the let's just everyone infected mentality.

1 hour ago, R123 said:

A well known British newspaper carries an opinion that the only way to solve the problem is to allow the virus to run its course and in effect 'cull' the weakest.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What is being done in countries where it has reached the level of community spread will also achieve this, but at a slower rate so as to not totally overwhelm health services.

Allowing it to run rampant would get it over with faster but kill far more people, and not just the weakest and not just from COVID. Everyone in need of medical care would be jeopardized.

Good to hear from you Sheryl.   I understand the reason for containment, home isolation, etc... to reduce the possibility of overwhelming health services.  But if younger healthy people are likely to only have mild symptoms, I think they should be allowed to go back to work.  Otherwise, a global economic depression may end up causing long term stress, death, and starvation/homelessness possibly for those who have spent all their savings staying home with no income.  Mortgages, car payments, grocery bills all need to be paid or you lose them/cannot afford.   

Governments cannot bail people out forever.  They need taxes coming in also

I certainly do not have the answer.   Feel the CDC, WHO, NIH, NHS and all are doing their best and will continue to do so.  Time will tell. 

Hoping we can all get through this together

Peace and Health 

• Like 2