Grim forecast of coronavirus infections refuted by senior health official

webfact

Grim forecast of coronavirus infections refuted by senior health official

000_1OK4A4.jpg

A senior doctor at Thailand’s Disease Control Department (DCD), has dismissed as “very unlikely” the grim forecast by some doctors that by April 15th COVID-19 infections in Thailand will reach 350,000, with about 7,000 fatalities.

DCD Deputy Director-General Dr. Thanarak Phlipat said on Facebook today that he has received many enquiries about whether forecasts of an exponential rise in the number of infections and fatalities is reasonable. He responded by saying it is “very unlikely.”

With less than 20 days to go before April 15th, Dr. Thanarak said that the predictions of 7,000 fatalities for Thailand, in the case of no lockdowns, and 485, if a lockdown is imposed, are inflated. Thailand’s death toll up to March 29th stood at 7, out of the 1,388 confirmed COVID-19 infections.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/grim-forecast-of-coronavirus-infections-refuted-by-senior-health-official/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-03-30

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

senior doctor at Thailand’s Disease Control Department (DCD), has dismissed as “very unlikely” the grim forecast by some doctors that by April 15th COVID-19 infections in Thailand will reach 350,000, with about 7,000 fatalities

What does he base his scepticism on .. In every country this has gripped the number's have dramatically increased day on day with a mortality rate of at least 5% in some countries despite the best efforts to contain it .. and yet here again they are batting away what could and may well happen with their customary head in the sand outlook .. 

Nowt so blind as those who don't want to see .. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

We will all  face the ravishes of this  pandemic equally  short of the opportunities  the mega rich have to avoid it.

It won't be easy for most of us but  that's just how it is.

Worrying about what we can't control seems like a waste to me.

I'd rather think about  flowers or anything else   rather than how bad things are.

Maybe this is the time for  all the "fire and Brimstone" members to come forward if that's what  get them interested. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

We will all  face the ravishes of this  pandemic equally  short of the opportunities  the mega rich have to avoid it.

It won't be easy for most of us but  that's just how it is.

Worrying about what we can't control seems like a waste to me.

I'd rather think about  flowers or anything else   rather than how bad things are.

Maybe this is the time for  all the "fire and Brimstone" members to come forward if that's what  get them interested. 

We can all help control it. NPI everyone. The govt didn't close the borders early enough (listened to CCP and WHO) and people didn't employ NPI soon enough BUT everyone has a role to play. Head in the sand may not be the best way to go. If everyone thought this way then we will be forced into it a 24hr ongoing curfew. Protecting others from yourself and yourself from others is a must.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is depressing me.

We have had no village water for 6 days now, our well is quite deep, but it is not enough for my wife and I to wash and to water the garden.

If it doesn't rain soon we will be out completely.

A groundwater drill will cost 100,000 baht apparently, so when I suggested we do this my wife said what's the point we may not be here in 2 years.

I am thinking at this rate we may not see Christmas.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

This is depressing me.

We have had no village water for 6 days now, our well is quite deep, but it is not enough for my wife and I to wash and to water the garden.

A groundwater drill will cost 100,000 baht apparently, so when I suggested we do this my wife said what's the point we may not be here in 2 years.

have a shower in the garden, kills two birds with one stone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Assuming the current figures are correct.

Otherwise,who knows.

The figures ARE correct - except that in China they stated that these are ONLY the 'confirmed' cases, which means ones which have been tested. Keep testing down and you keep the figures down...

There are a few thousand WAITING to be tested, and we have no idea about other people as it spreads in the community. My guess is that if they don't get very sick, they'll keep it quiet.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

We can all help control it. NPI everyone. The govt didn't close the borders early enough (listened to CCP and WHO) and people didn't employ NPI soon enough BUT everyone has a role to play. Head in the sand may not be the best way to go. If everyone thought this way then we will be forced into it a 24hr ongoing curfew. Protecting others from yourself and yourself from others is a must.

What is NPI?

• Thanks 1

hundreds of tests everyday will keep a lid on the stats and hospital admissions

do thousands and it will resemble euro zone and fill ICUs

Hospitals will have lots of spare capacity with less road fatalities due to less economic activity

no one is dodging this bullet

Govt have a tight reign on information so far

Edited by sameasb4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

This is depressing me.

100k sounds inflated, I had one drilled (28 meters) for around 20k. Why water the garden? it is normal here that everything drys up in the hot season and when it rains everything is green again.

• Like 2

Hopefully he is right but, since no one has any idea how many infections there are now and we will still won't be close to knowing on 15th April, there is little point in making or refuting predictions. The only think we know for sure is that there are a lot more infections than the number of reported cases.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Confused 1

Test everyone, isolate those with the virus (who may be asymptomatic) and tell the rest to keep dancing.

It worked in one Italian town in the middle of that country's danger zone.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/eradicated-coronavirus-mass-testing-covid-19-italy-vo

It also helps to keep the economy rolling along.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Test everyone, isolate those with the virus (who may be asymptomatic) and tell the rest to keep dancing.

It worked in one Italian town in the middle of that country's danger zone.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/eradicated-coronavirus-mass-testing-covid-19-italy-vo

It also helps to keep the economy rolling along.

Yes, but with 600-700 tests done a day, Thailand is magnitudes off from the amount of testing that is needed.