Explaining the Thai resilience to the virus

Brunolem

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

If these workers have tested positive, they have (normally) been added to the daily total of new infections. 

Where did you read that private hospitals don't report their cases? 

Why would you want these specific cases to make the news? Why are they different from the other cases? 

You just spoilt OP's evening.

• Confused 1

Well walking along Jomtien beach today, a Thai guy sitting on the beach was vomiting. I didn't think nausea was a symptom of CV19, but reading about it just now, it is one of the main symptoms :sad::sad::sad:. I can't say I've ever seen someone vomiting on the beach, so this is actually pretty alarming. To think there's no police presence to even monitor this kind of thing.

The reader might be asking, what am I doing taking a stroll down the beach. Shouldn't I be staying home? I had critical things to attend to, at immigration. Namely standing in a huge queue shoulder to shoulder, to get a 7 day extension.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Well walking along Jomtien beach today, a Thai guy sitting on the beach was vomiting. I didn't think nausea was a symptom of CV19, but reading about it just now, it is one of the main symptoms :sad::sad::sad:. I can't say I've ever seen someone vomiting on the beach, so this is actually pretty alarming. To think there's no police presence to even monitor this kind of thing.

The reader might be asking, what am I doing taking a stroll down the beach. Shouldn't I be staying home? I had critical things to attend to, at immigration. Namely standing in a huge queue shoulder to shoulder, to get a 7 day extension.

Vomiting is one of the main symptoms - where did you get that information?

Everything I've read says cough, fever, tiredness and difficulty breathing. But I stand to be corrected.

Up-chucking on Jomtien beach is usually due to alcohol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Vomiting is one of the main symptoms - where did you get that information?

Everything I've read says cough, fever, tiredness and difficulty breathing. But I stand to be corrected.

Up-chucking on Jomtien beach is usually due to alcohol.

Good to hear it's a frequent sight on Jomtien beach!

The info was the first hit from a search

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-wuhan-coronavirus-patients-have-nausea-vomiting-diarrhea-2020-2?op=1

"Almost half of coronavirus patients experience nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea before they get a fever"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-wuhan-coronavirus-patients-have-nausea-vomiting-diarrhea-2020-2?op=1

"Almost half of coronavirus patients experience nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea before they get a fever"

Thanks for the link. I have not seen nausea/vomiting listed as a symptom on any of the WHO or NHS sites.

I think it's the weather, lack of reporting, people stay at home seriously ill put of habit maybe now in fear, essentially no testing. None. When people die the death listed anything but covid for variety of reasons.

The poor will suffer and the wealthy will put up with some of the residual blowback.

But look at Singapore, low mortality also although it works at it. In Thailand it's just head in sand and wish it away.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

'some' patients... most only have diarrhea according to WHO and international public health departments

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

The UK coronavirus death toll has risen by 209 in 24 hours from 1,019 to 1,228. A total of 127,737 people have now been tested for coronavirus, with 19,522 positive results.

Edge Health, a UK health care data analysis company, revealed that while the official figure of coronavirus cases stood at 10,000 on March 26, the company's estimated true figure for infections in the UK was1,614,505.

With widespread testing not yet available in Britain and swabs only being given to those in hospital and some NHS critical care staff, there could be thousands who have COVID-19 and are not aware of it, the study suggests.

Those with milder symptoms who are not admitted to hospital are also not accounted for in official figures. 

•  

Comparing your post #24 with this one, Yinn, there's a quite remarkable change in literacy and expression.

Have you decided it's time to drop the Thai girl shtick? Or was this post a copy and paste?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Comparing your post #24 with this one, Yinn, there's a quite remarkable change in literacy and expression.

Have you decided it's time to drop the Thai girl shtick? Or was this post a copy and paste?

I suspect that it's c/p; realises that her intellectual capacity, is perhaps not up to par.

8 hours ago, JIMHILL said:

As yet research into how the Thai people physiology deals with the virus is still pending, 

however, from my observation living in Bangkok, I have noted: -

1. Just about everybody is wearing a mask. 
2. The ambient air temp hovers around 30C, over 10C the virus rapidly degrades and brakes down. 
3. Handshaking, kissing or hugging is not seen

These simple behavioural and climate aspects of Thailand must give Thais an advantage against viral contagion.

I'm surprised it took me to get to page 5 to see this. Absolutely correct on points 2 and 3. Also UV is stronger at this time of year than Europe. Other points on poor reporting are also correct. Most villages here in lower Buriram are quite strict about isolating when ill. Not many will go to the hospital, more likely to get a monk from the temple to do a few chants. If somebody dies the cremation will be done quickly. The poo-yai will probably wait until he gets the all clear from the authorities before he ventures into town to report on the events as he was told to stay in the village and to set an example of staying there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

I think mask help a lot.

China, South Korea, Taiwan, HongKong most people wear mask.

Now it less.

Italy, Spain, UK, US, France most people not wear mask. Refuse.

Now have the most. 

see youve  stopped  quoting Singapore  now then.......doesnt  fit the bias  eh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

l Thais are less fat than Italians.

you may want to  look at life expectancy figures from Italy and Thailand before  talking cack Italians  live  way  longer and hence their death rate with Covid is  higher

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JIMHILL said:

1. Just about everybody is wearing a mask. 
2. The ambient air temp hovers around 30C, over 10C the virus rapidly degrades and brakes down. 
3. Handshaking, kissing or hugging is not seen

and  compare to Singapore.................most dont wear a  mask and told not necessary......the virus  lives in your body just fine at 37c and Singapore is virtually the same as Thailand with heat BUT what they do  have is great screening/testing and compliance unlike that Thais who couldnt care less in many cases............yesterdays  party nearby, still ongoing

20200330_173337.jpg

30 minutes ago, Chazar said:

you may want to  look at life expectancy figures from Italy and Thailand before  talking cack Italians  live  way  longer and hence their death rate with Covid is  higher

Yeah weight and age are playing a big factor. Skin color and or race do not. 

I saw an article on a study of different strains.. the conclusion seemed to be that this virus has a relatively low rate of mutation.. the good news from that if it correct is that a one off vaccination may be enough to give long term immunity.. unlike 'flu which needs to be upgraded each year...

Another study suggests that the high rate of mortality in Italy and Iran could possibly be related to a high degree of antibiotic resistance which both countries have from very high use of antibiotics..  

Bloomberg science and health news is my source..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mattd said:

I don't think it is cultural, it is economics.

Most Thais that can afford it run to the doctors at the slightest sign of anything wrong with them, the doctor hands over a bag of assorted colour pills and all are happy.

Hospitals and pharmacies are lucrative businesses.

In Thailand economic inequality might be considered part of the culture heritage, Thailand one of the highest societal inequality in the world.