DLT: No need to renew your driving license until 15 days after the Emergency Decree is over

webfact

DLT: No need to renew your driving license until 15 days after the Emergency Decree is over

10pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The Department of Land Transport has announced that if your Thai driving licence is about to expire there is no need to go into an office and renew it.

Its validity will remain active until 15 days after the Emergency Decree is lifted, or until another announcement is made. 

The decision comes after Transport minister Saksayam Chidchob contacted the DLT and other agencies to order extensions to licences and contracts.

All issuing of extensions and new licences will cease from March 31st until further notice. 

DLT offices are still open for tax renewal and registration renewal of vehicles. This can also be done at the "drive thru" service at the main DLT offices. 

But tax, license and registration facilities at outlying offices at places like department stores are being stopped for now.

All testing is also ending on March 31st though people who have already gone through online learning portals will be credited with that when they come to renew their licenses after the state of emergency is lifted. 

This relates to the viewing of training videos of between one and three hours duration that are necessary for new licences and extensions. 

The sensible DLT moves on extensions to licenses will be seen in stark contrast to the visa extensions for tourists, notes Thaivisa. Tourists still need to go to immigration offices. 

Indonesia issued an order that said tourist visas were automatically extended. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-30
  • Like 1

Wishful thinking, I know but would it not be an excellent opportunity to take the big broom and get rid of all that bureaucratic dust lying in layers all over Thailand's governmental agencies?

43 years ago I was passing my European driving license, luckily never had an accident and never got fined. Yet I still have to show up every five years at the DLT, going through that absolutely idiotic "retraining", all in Thai and as I am an alien, I am given the 2-hours video (for the newcomers) while my sons got a lifetime driving license. 

Maybe the DLT puts a lifelong driving license back into place at the second five-years extension. Likewise get all those without a license off the road at juicy fines and a training weekend at the DLT. Would facilitate the entire operation, less staff and less administration; the B555 extension fee does certainly not pay for the expenses in extending the license in the first place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Wishful thinking, I know but would it not be an excellent opportunity to take the big broom and get rid of all that bureaucratic dust lying in layers all over Thailand's governmental agencies?

43 years ago I was passing my European driving license, luckily never had an accident and never got fined. Yet I still have to show up every five years at the DLT, going through that absolutely idiotic "retraining", all in Thai and as I am an alien, I am given the 2-hours video (for the newcomers) while my sons got a lifetime driving license. 

Maybe the DLT puts a lifelong driving license back into place at the second five-years extension. Likewise get all those without a license off the road at juicy fines and a training weekend at the DLT. Would facilitate the entire operation, less staff and less administration; the B555 extension fee does certainly not pay for the expenses in extending the license in the first place. 

They could try a proper on the road driving test as they do in developed countries as well. They would probably have riots unfortunately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Venom said:

Far more people will die on Thai roads this year than the Wu flu by a long shot. 

For now it saves more lives than Covid claims!

Read about a record low of 10!!! road deaths some one or two days ago.

About 50 lives saved.

• Like 1

Very Good Job !

Government offices should  ALL be doing similiar.

Its so stupid to tell people not to congregate , then insist people congregate at government buildings and offices ,  or face fines ,  or worse !

Well done DLT !

Its a pity more TV members cant give credit where its due.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For now it saves more lives than Covid claims!

Read about a record low of 10!!! road deaths some one or two days ago.

About 50 lives saved.

50 - 8 Covid-killed = 42 Covid-saved

14 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I went to renew mine last November my wife decided she wanted one she'd been driving in the US for close to 30 years no accidents or tickets I watched the video with her I don't speak Thai so didn't understand it I had to wait a couple of days for my permission letter to get mine. When I went back the same guy that gave her license was there had me do the color test and break test didn't make me watch the video again now I'm good for another 5 years 

• 2 weeks later...