To go or not to go, to a restaurant ?

Golden Triangle

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's against social distancing to meet friends for ANYTHING including going to restaurants.

If it's the people in your family group or living in the same place already, then that's different.

Pattaya restaurants those that are open are now required to social distance even within the same table. 

Getting to the restaurant depending on your mode of transport is an issue if it's public transport.

My take is reducing all risk is impossible but if you happen to be going out for a needed excursion (food shopping, pharmacy, etc.) that it wouldn't be so bad to stop at a restaurant that is complying with the new rules.

Clean your hands before and after the visit. Don't touch your face. Bon Appetit. 

Also keep in mind its all a bunch of nonsense....Bon Appetit

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I don't think public health measures to slow down the spread of this virus are nonsense. Not only social distancing of course. Mass testing, contact tracing, isolations when needed, and yes shutting most things down. It would probably be a good idea to shut down all the in house restaurant eating too but as long as it isn't and you're out anyway doing something essential, it doesn't seem that bad. I think plenty of people though will be using them as usual, making special trips to them, socializing there, so that would be a good reason to totally shut them down. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think public health measures to slow down the spread of this virus are nonsense. Not only social distancing of course. Mass testing, contact tracing, isolations when needed, and yes shutting most things down. It would probably be a good idea to shut down all the in house restaurant eating too but as long as it isn't and you're out anyway doing something essential, it doesn't seem that bad. I think plenty of people though will be using them as usual, making special trips to them, socializing there, so that would be a good reason to totally shut them down. 

We I am just going to enjoy my life on a flat earth and try and not worry about things to much....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Nicky's on Soi Buakhao closed at 5pm on Sunday and will now remain closed for at least the next two weeks. I suspect longer, at least throughout April. I live close by and used to eat there regularly.

For the expats in Central Pattaya and those stuck here currently, what eateries can you obtain food at? .. and what other farang restaurant closures have there been?

I know I could go out for a walk and find out for myself, but that's potentially a lot of streets to cover. A few kind words and updates from those here on the ground could save many trips out of confinement and keep unnecessary foot traffic down around town. Remember, not everyone has a vehicle.

p.s.  If it's open for eating in I think I'd still rather take away.

Edited by roger buttmore
  • Like 1

A fair few restaurants within 5 minutes walk from me were open today, one still is.

Did not go to any.

One has a sign, ready for tomorrow, take out/delivery only.

Fair enough.

I think there will be a couple that will still do dine in.

Could be wrong.

Prefer eat at home for now.

• Like 1

I'll just point out that restaurants are not the only issue. On the prom today I saw 6 ladies sat on a mat with food and whisky and not a mask between them. They were definitely enjoying themselves; I am sure they felt they have earned the right to party a little. All were wearing Tops t-shirts, so I guess they had just finished a shift at Tops Supermarket under Markland on Soi 1. I haven't seen the police doing patrols anywhere the last few days; they all seem to have gone to ground; so there is no enforcement of social distancing.

I think a lot of people are not  seeing or hearing any evidence that the virus is in Pattaya and are wondering why they and their families are having to suffer great hardship. The immediate future looks very depressing.

The only people making a good living seem to be Grab food delivery drivers, who must be high risk handling money from numerous customers day in day out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

how is takeaway safer? What if someone in the kitchen is asymptomatic and transmitting... and they handle your

plates, cutlery etc?

I doubt you get plates and cutlery with takeaway. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt you get plates and cutlery with takeaway. 

Ive had food delivered that has a plastic knife and fork tossed into the delivery bag along with some crumpled up napkins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

how is takeaway safer? What if someone in the kitchen is asymptomatic and transmitting... and they handle your

plates, cutlery etc?

Firstly you use your own plate and cutlery, in a restaurant there's lots of opportunity for staff and customers to cough or sneeze near you. Eating the food is the same risk in a restaurant or out of it. I can't recall one case worldwide where someone caught Corona from eating food, but it probably happens

21 minutes ago, Chazar said:

if  you  never  met or  had contact  with  another  person for the next few months what do you think your chances of  getting this is?

Very very low, need to be careful with deliveries from Supermarkets etc, the problem is none of us are safe until we've had a vaccination, which could be some time away

7 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Nonsense or not, I'm just thankful that all this has made more people aware of basic hygiene.

Hopefully the knowledge about the spread of disease will remain after this current episode has passed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

Until a vaccine is found and more importantly available to the general public.

You won't be sitting in a restaurant for 12 to 18 months. 

This virus is now in circulation so take your pick.

People maybe laughing at your 12 to 18 months but I have looked into this matter deeply and found this could be are real possibility.....But I certainly hope not...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Nonsense or not, I'm just thankful that all this has made more people aware of basic hygiene.

Hopefully the knowledge about the spread of disease will remain after this current episode has passed. 

At least we can dream about it!

Im useally paranoid when it comes to cleaning hands after toilet, when get in house, before go to kitchen etc, cleaning door nobs, cell phones, and so on, Sneezing in the albow, not in hands,  but more or less had to give up my mission when I decided to live in Thailand, and close my eyes, but hopefully they learn something now. 

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Some.

Even if you sit in your room for the next 2 months and only have delivery, something could be on that delivered package.  If you go out at all you are still touching surfaces which is a risk.

Then the lingering airborne.  Maybe someone sneezed in your elevator, hallway, or the place you are walking.

All this and you never had contact with anyone.

If you can load up with several months of food, and never leave your room, then very very low.

But, mental illness may set in and harming oneself is possible.

You can worry yourself to death for sure.....I choose not to worry about any of it...

Edited by fforest1