BANGKOK
Mister Fixit

Krabi Immi now only giving 15 day third extensions

Posted (edited)

My nephew and pal arrived on 29 January on a 30 day visa exemption and extended it in Surat Thani for a further 30 days, expiring last Saturday, 28th March.

Since then, they moved on to Koh Lanta and the virus and flights issue worsened, so they went to Krabi Immi last Wednesday for advice.

They were told that morning that they needed a letter from the UK embassy, so they emailed for one that afternoon.

The letter didn't arrive with them until Saturday morning when Immi was closed so they went in this morning.

They were a bit taken aback when they were only given 15 days extension and not the 30 that were apparently being given last week.

When they queried this, they were told by Immi staff that they had been instructed to only issue 15 day extensions from this week on.  No other explanation.

Would anyone know any more about this and why they have reduced the extension time?  Is it a money-making scam so that people trapped here have to get 2 a month?  Or have to pay overstay when they eventually leave?

I had read there may be an overstay amnesty, but doesn't look as though that will happen any time soon.

Edited by Mister Fixit

Other offices have been giving a under consideration stamp to with a report back date on it. I think that is what they got not a 15 day extension.

When they go back they would get the remainder of the 30 days or maybe a longer permit to stay that may be allowed soon that immigration has proposed to the cabinet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What happened to there return flight,,,,,There is still flights out so they not really trapped here yet.

Edited by taninthai

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Other offices have been giving a under consideration stamp to with a report back date on it. I think that is what they got not a 15 day extension.

When they go back they would get the remainder of the 30 days or maybe a longer permit to stay that may be allowed soon that immigration has proposed to the cabinet.

Ah, I'll check that with them because they aren't really up to speed on the terminology and how the system works in the way we are.  

8 minutes ago, taninthai said:

What happened to there return flight,,,,,There is still flights out so they not really trapped here yet.

There are many folk genuinely stuck here.

There are soooo many using it as an excuse. I travel a lot and often meet young backpackers. Many times I have heard..." great we can milk this for few months"

Mind you that was before to all the closures and now curfew Phuket. 

Bkk to follow. 

Quatar just announced reopen many flights to OZ. Yes only one country but there are flights out. 

The governments were advising all nationalities fly home NOW. Couple weeks back

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I didn't see this post by taninthai in my feed, only saw it embedded in DrJack54's post.

They don't have a return flight, so I didn't see the need to mention because either way, if there are no flights out, it's irrelevant.

However, this is a trip they have been planning for over a year. They came here on a ONE WAY ticket on 29 January expecting to stay 60 days, then move on to Malaysia as part of a SE Asian trip.  Then back to Thailand for Songkran for about 30 days then on to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, ending up in Australia to visit his older brother and wok on his in-laws pineapple form.

So yes, they ARE stuck here an could be in a bit of a pickle.

Edited by Mister Fixit

20 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

I didn't see this post by taninthai in my feed, only saw it embedded in DrJack54's post.

They don't have a return flight, which I didn't see the need to mention because either way, if there are no flights out, it's irrelevant.

However, this is a trip they have been planning for over a year. They came here on a ONE WAY ticket on 29 January expecting to stay 60 days, then move on to Malaysia as part of a SE Asian trip.  Then back to Thailand for Songkran for about 30 days then on to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, ending up in Australia to visit his older brother and wok on his in-laws pineapple form.

So yes, they ARE stuck here an could be in a bit of a pickle.

They can put this plan in the rubbish bin. You do not tell where they are from. Many countries have emergency flights to fly stuck travellers back. No excuse if there are flights organized by your government and you do not take one.

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There are many folk genuinely stuck here.

There are soooo many using it as an excuse. I travel a lot and often meet young backpackers. Many times I have heard..." great we can milk this for few months"

Mind you that was before to all the closures and now curfew Phuket. 

Bkk to follow. 

Quatar just announced reopen many flights to OZ. Yes only one country but there are flights out. 

The governments were advising all nationalities fly home NOW. Couple weeks back

As my post in reply to taninthai, yes they are stuck here because they came on a one way ticket, expecting to explore Thailand and other SE Asian countries for 4 to 6 months.

As it happens, they did plan to visit Oz eventually because his older brother lives there, so I think their best bet is to bring it forward if they can.

Posted (edited)

No real problems for them then they just stuck in thailand instead of travelling s.e. Asia,if it opens up in time they can continue there travel plans or cancel them and return to Uk...

interesting no return ticket ,must have had ticket to somewhere they don’t normally let your board from U.K. on 1 way ticket to Thailand.

im sure Thai immigration will extend there visa again no problems

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

What has now transpired is that they didn't get an actual '15 day' extension.  They got a 14 day (for some reason) 'extension as their application was 'under consideration'.  Never seen one of those before.

Apparently they are issued when they want to keep tabs on people and hopefully, unless they can get a flight out to Oz or the UK, they will get another one in 2 weeks

Under consideration.jpg

19 minutes ago, taninthai said:

No real problems for them then they just stuck in thailand instead of travelling s.e. Asia,if it opens up in time they can continue there travel plans or cancel them and return to Uk...

interesting no return ticket ,must have had ticket to somewhere they don’t normally let your board from U.K. on 1 way ticket to Thailand.

im sure Thai immigration will extend there visa again no problems

Yes, that's it.  Their plans for the Grand Tour are up the Swanee but I can think of worse places to be stuck than in Thailand.

Not 100% certain about how they got past the airline without a return ticket but I don't recall ever having to show one when I have checked in, just the part for the outward leg.  In my case that's Thailand to the UK, not the other way round.

Yes, I think they will get another 14 day exemption in 2 weeks as well.  It's just that they will have to stay in Krabi province, but that's not a disaster.  

15 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Not 100% certain about how they got past the airline without a return ticket

Most likely, they had a confirmed flight out to Malaysia or Cambodia to show the airline.

36 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Apparently they are issued when they want to keep tabs on people and hopefully, unless they can get a flight out to Oz or the UK, they will get another one in 2 weeks

That is a standard under consideration stamp given while waiting for approval of a extension application.

When they go back the will get either the remainder of the 30 days or possibley longer if the proposed extensions to June 30th are approved.

• Like 1