Buying shares in Uk companies. What do you recommend?

In the event of a significant stock market crash in the Uk what shares (equity) would you buy?

Im interested to hear that shares on RBS are down 50%. Whats your take on this company? As this is partially owned by the Uk tax payer

one can assume the govt will never let it go bust. Why is it down 50% and after china virus drama is all over can one expect this stock to pump back up?

Sending money to the Uk to buy shares on current exchange rates seems quite favorable. 

Any opinions are appreciated. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

As this is partially owned by the Uk tax payer one can assume the govt will never let it go bust.

Taxpayer bought it to "stabilize" the market at between 700 and 300 from Oct 2008 to Dec 2009.

Now available at 117.

not a good time to buy shares unless you have money to waste and the last place I would invest is RBS .i have a managed portfolio with a very well known investment management group and over the last two weeks my valuation portfolio  has dropped by more that 20K and although this is paper profit it’s going to take a year or two to recover to that level in my humble opinion I would recommend you stay well away from the markets at the moment . By the way RBS are in the middle of rebranding they are going to be renamed National Westminster I think this is down the the bad vibes over the years that RBS have got .

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 2

As always when buying into markets, timing is everything. Buying-in when the market has tanked is a sound strategy. However, has the market bottomed out yet? I doubt it, but then again have no idea when it will so sorry to say - you’re on yer own mate! When you do invest I recommend Fundsmith. An investment fund with a common sense philosophy and a stellar performance record in the 10 years I’ve been a client. 

• Like 2

Really depends on where you the economy will be in a years time.

IMHO it's too late to sell if you have an existing portfolio, so painful as it may look I shall be holding my existing positions.

Also, it should be noted that most FTSE companies have delayed reporting and suspended Dividend payments - a prudent if painful move IMHO. P/E ratios will need to be re-assessed as will Dividend yield. 

Obviously, as always,  companies with a large debt pile should be avoided.

To directly answer your question I will add to my positions in the following on a trickle basis:

AV. - IMHO was undervalued and plenty of spare cash

MARS - Pubs closed, off sales increasing, debt was decreasing

BOO - As long as warehouses function its stable of targeted fashion brands should jog along

PFC - A slim trim company since the SFO investigation was announced and hurt badly by Brent price.

GVC - Shops closed and sporting events cancelled but online still active and a rosy looking future in USA

ITV - Perennial takeover target

VOD - Bit trickier to gauge full debt commitments

As stated previously Fundsmith is a cracking fund as are Lindsell Train.

I do intend to hold for the long term but will top slice when I feel the time is right.

Best of Luck

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, retayl said:

As always when buying into markets, timing is everything. Buying-in when the market has tanked is a sound strategy. However, has the market bottomed out yet? I doubt it, but then again have no idea when it will so sorry to say - you’re on yer own mate! When you do invest I recommend Fundsmith. An investment fund with a common sense philosophy and a stellar performance record in the 10 years I’ve been a client. 

Fundsmith
Industry Investment
Genre Fund Management
Founded November 1, 2010 in London, England
Founder Terry Smith
Headquarters Cavendish Square, London , England

22 hours ago, plachon said:

"In the event of a significant stock market crash in the Uk what shares (equity) would you buy?"

Do you mean you don't think 30 % crash in FTSE 100 is "significant"? The crash has already happened and will continue for many months and quite possibly years to come. In fact, it may never recover as a global recession kicks in after COVID-19 pandemic is over. The only way is down, baby! ????

But if you did want to buy something that should be relatively crash-proof, then probably supermarkets and other food producers/retailers might be relatively safe, as it's hard to substitute food in one's daily life. But even these won't be immune, as people get poorer, they can afford to buy less and so overall demand will decrease in long run.....also fewer customers around. 

Optimistic type are we? Why be difficult, when with a little more effort you can be bloody impossible?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SERGERAMOS said:

I would buy oil and airline shares these will recover in the long term but expect to hold them for at least 5 years 

many airlines will either be nationalised, in which case any investment will be lost, or so devalued as to be useless, or they will go bust and you will lose everything.  Steer clear of travel companies, transport companies or anything else that  is likely to get nationalised and therefore massively devalue the share holdings of private punters.  See my further comment above, so don't take any notice of me.  I don't really know either. 

On 3/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, Surasak said:

Optimistic type are we? Why be difficult, when with a little more effort you can be bloody impossible?

No, just a pragmatic realist with a history of making correct calls on economic trends. But feel free to disagree and watching the recession unfold while you regret not having cashed in your equities when you had the chance. No skin of my nose. ???? 

On 3/30/2020 at 2:56 PM, Surelynot said:

Gone for 10k in each of RBS, Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC, Coke a cola, Ashstead, BHP,  Rio Tinto snd Just Eat. I'd keep clear of Just Eat. Uber threatening and monopolies commission reporting 9/5. As ever though DYOR.

Of the ones you mention I bought in last week Barclays and lloyds plus BP all on recovery plays over 12 months.

Frankly at these levels a licence to print money as long as Covid can be brought under control over next 6 months

Tullow (TLW) oil .............was 200p 6 months ago could of been bought a week ago for 10p a share currently 25p a share.............plenty of potential upswing to 60-70p within 3 months .......new CEO to be announced shortly........billion dollar asset sale ongoing to reduce debt..........possible takeover

I bought in after the December resignation of the last CEO at 43p only to see it rise to 78p and then drop down with the covid outbreak and drop in oil price........bought more at 10p to average down to 18p........happy to sit and hold

Edited by thaiflyer1

On the other thread I think I suggested Burberry and Wetherspoons, not sure if I mentioned i3e (gone from 3p to 9p at one point).

Suppose the gambling companies could have a big upswing?

Flutter, William Hill and GVC Holdings.

RAZZ

23 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Tullow (TLW) oil .............was 200p 6 months ago could of been bought a week ago for 10p a share currently 25p a share.............plenty of potential upswing to 60-70p within 3 months .......new CEO to be announced shortly........billion dollar asset sale ongoing to reduce debt..........possible takeover

I bought in after the December resignation of the last CEO at 43p only to see it rise to 78p and then drop down with the covid outbreak and drop in oil price........bought more at 10p to average down to 18p........happy to sit and hold

I looked at Tullow - risky! (but aren't they all at the moment!)

Good luck.

RAZZ

If you want an explosive tiddler which carries high risk so not for widows and orphans but buy Iconic Labs.

You can thank me later lol.  I'd need 10 A4 sheets of paper to explain how they got themselves into current position and how they're getting out of it.

High risk probably 50/50 of further dilution but upside I'd put at 2000% within 12 months but dont put your shirt on it. Its actually a main listing not an AIM stock despite the price

Edited by Chivas

On 4/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, Chivas said:

If you want an explosive tiddler which carries high risk so not for widows and orphans but buy Iconic Labs.

You can thank me later lol.  I'd need 10 A4 sheets of paper to explain how they got themselves into current position and how they're getting out of it.

High risk probably 50/50 of further dilution but upside I'd put at 2000% within 12 months but dont put your shirt on it. Its actually a main listing not an AIM stock despite the price

Quoting my own post from a week ago. Buy it Monday morning you can thank me later with a few beers in Pattaya. It wont be the same price Monday week . Dont go silly with it just a £1000 or so. I own for reference and acknowledge I hold around £5600 worth

• Like 1

Studio_20200419_132644.png.4780ef3a6f02d02d5f0d4881dcc7bafe.png

Many thanks for the tip Chivas, lets hope it performs tomorrow, the same as it did last Monday morning. I never cashed out, waiting hoping for the 12 month 2,000% returns. ????

Over the week it came back down again and is now trading at 0.0350

Chok Dee

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Studio_20200419_132644.png.4780ef3a6f02d02d5f0d4881dcc7bafe.png

Many thanks for the tip Chivas, lets hope it performs tomorrow, the same as it did last Monday morning. I never cashed out, waiting hoping for the 12 month 2,000% returns. ????

Over the week it came back down again and is now trading at 0.0350

Chok Dee

Yep 12 month hold. The same sequence we'll "likely" see this coming week with the finanacing fund completely out.

LSE is showing 0.037 albeit never totally accuarate. Come back to the thread next weekend lets see where we are. Tag me just in case I forget

First, assess your risk appetite.  There is risk in every investment.  Probably not prudent to dump all your cash into the stock market in one go, as any uptick we are seeing now is very likely a dead cat bounce. We simply don't know what's around the corner.  Banks may still take a mammoth hit as fall-out from the lockdown continues. Someone mentioned market timing.  It is next to impossible to time the market; time IN the market is the more sensible option, as is dollar/pound cost averaging.  The future is likely to be more online-based than ever.  Take a look at the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) which is reasonably well-regulated, in the UK, and pick a few penny stocks (after doing some research) which have the potential to be the next FB, Google, Twitter, etc. Whatever investment you choose, currently, is bound to be frought.  Be prepared!

25 minutes ago, allanos said:

First, assess your risk appetite.  There is risk in every investment.  Probably not prudent to dump all your cash into the stock market in one go, as any uptick we are seeing now is very likely a dead cat bounce. We simply don't know what's around the corner.  Banks may still take a mammoth hit as fall-out from the lockdown continues. Someone mentioned market timing.  It is next to impossible to time the market; time IN the market is the more sensible option, as is dollar/pound cost averaging.  The future is likely to be more online-based than ever.  Take a look at the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) which is reasonably well-regulated, in the UK, and pick a few penny stocks (after doing some research) which have the potential to be the next FB, Google, Twitter, etc. Whatever investment you choose, currently, is bound to be frought.  Be prepared!

Indeed banks could still suffer, a run on banks in the current climate can't be discounted, liquidity is everything at the moment.

As has been mentioned airlines could be nationalised, the future of travel is uncertain, so you'd have to hold for a long time if you buy airlines.

The oil companies are unlikely to have good figures given the forecast of a depression and low oil prices, again a very long hold.

Pharmaceutical companies could lose out if they don't have that one covid19 vaccine or medicine everyone wants.

It's not clear we've reached a bottom yet.

For someone willing to invest money they can afford to lose in the current climate rather than shares the Forex market looks a lot more interesting, with great volatility there is good money to be made there.

With Forex you can make anything from 1-10 per cent each month, that's right per month. You can only dream of returns like that for shares worth buying.

Of course the risks are greater with Forex as well, but you'd make a lot more money if you have a good strategy, risk management and self control..

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1