WHO myth busting web site.

Moonlover

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Covid-19 is the respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 (Virus) - but the WHO seem to be dumbing down their information, as if they think people are incapable of recognising the difference. 

Sometimes highly intelligent people suffer when trying to communicate to those of lesser intelligence (i.e. WHO scientists to the masses). In the same manner they have fallen foul of providing flawed advice with ‘mask wear’..... 

this is not the answer to the question.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

Then  pin this  one as  well but that goes  against a  Thai profs  advice

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Yes I agree. I will only wear a mask where it is mandated. For me that only means Big C. There are only 3 items that I need to visit that store for and I'm well stocked on all 3 right now.

Most of the useless rags that I've seen on peoples faces a joke anyway.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

might try to use common sense and wear a mask. the first thing the WHO said not to do.

And do you ever ask why? The reason is two-fold. While a mask will help to reduce the spray of virus laden croplets if you sneeze or cough, it does not help to significantly reduce the transmission because most masks are not designed to do that and people can contaminate the mask when putting it on or off.

In addition, as is clear from reputable news sources from developed countries, if everyone gets a mask, there will be none for the folks who should get them, namely medical staff. And remember, this is not the medical staff being selfish - they wear a mask to ensure you don't get their infection. So next time you try to impugn what the WHO are saying, remember that they are in possession of far more data and understanding than you are.

• Like 2

Not a myth but real science !

The New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

• Like 1

The mortality rate is deaths/total infected.

Given that most people recover from the disease, but recovery takes up to 2 or 3 weeks, then - as new infections start to flatten out because of prevention measures - recoveries will keep on increasing and eventually far outrun infections. Thus the 'fatality rate' as measured today is mostly just a statistical artifact of time: early on you have many infections & few recoveries. Mostly now the fatality rate will improve steadily, whatever further we do

Edited by mfd101
  • Thanks 2

Wearing a mask on a motorbike is in vogue, unfortunately wearing a motorcycle safety helmet isn’t so fashionable.

Anyone noticed the mask of choice is either plain black or multicoloured. 

Love a trend don’t they. 

• Like 2

There are some good basic statements made, but I will never believe WHO. They're nothing but 'international' bureaucrats. Look back and see how they parroted China in Dec/Jan and continue to applaud China and their handling of the virus.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Because SARS-CoV-2 is directly attributed to China from bats and pangolins, while covid-19 is more vague.  It is the WHO afterall.  

No. Because SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus that causes the disease, and Covid- 19 is the name of the disease ( Corona Virus Disease -2019)

In exactly the same way HIV was the name of the virus, and AIDS was the name of the disease it caused.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If you need further confirmation go to the site linked below and count how many cold countries trail behind Brazil (on the equator) on the list.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I've been convinced for quite some time that the climate here in Thailand is working in our favour and I'm still convinced, despite WHO's apparent skepticism.

I've also been studying this web site and, to me, it's just about irrefutable.

We will prevail! 

• Like 2