WHO myth busting web site.

Moonlover

I recall reading several articles that postulated that it was more effective for those already with the virus to be wearing masks than those trying to avoid it. I have also recently read that the asymptomatic cases could be between 33% - 40% of the total. On that basis there could be a number of people wearing masks thinking that they are trying to protect themselves from others who are in fact protecting others from themselves. Therefore I think wearing a mask is a good idea.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 11:59 PM, Chazar said:

Then  pin this  one as  well but that goes  against a  Thai profs  advice

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

South Korea and China showed that WHO is wrong. If we all wear a mask we reduce the amount of droplets. Some lucky ones may have FFP3 masks and be protected by a useless mask from breathing in droplets altogether. I wear one outside wherever I go.

23 minutes ago, Letseng said:

South Korea and China showed that WHO is wrong. If we all wear a mask we reduce the amount of droplets. Some lucky ones may have FFP3 masks and be protected by a useless mask from breathing in droplets altogether. I wear one outside wherever I go.

And Singapore shows that WHO is right. Compare Singapore's infection and death rates with those in China and South Korea.

Edited by CRUNCHER

On 3/31/2020 at 4:39 PM, DeeMak9 said:

The last pandemic was only a 100 years ago. The last world war less than 80. What makes you think this isn't going to happen again?

The last pandemic was 2009/10 - it is some times called swine fever.  Started in Mexico, although the first recorded cases were in USA.

5 hours ago, hargri said:

I recall reading several articles that postulated that it was more effective for those already with the virus to be wearing masks than those trying to avoid it. I have also recently read that the asymptomatic cases could be between 33% - 40% of the total. On that basis there could be a number of people wearing masks thinking that they are trying to protect themselves from others who are in fact protecting others from themselves. Therefore I think wearing a mask is a good idea.

... and that having a mask On, directly hinders nose picking, suckingthumbs, (and add glasses for the eye wiping)

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong. it' s named by the WHO using a standard notation.

(C)hina (O)rigin (V)irus (I)dentify (D)ate 20(19)

Utter rubbish.

The disease was quite specifically named in a way that did not refer to any geographic location  (if you don't quite understand the term: "China Origin" is a geographic location), and this is clearly stated on the WHO website when the name of the disease was announced on Feb 11th 2020.

Here is the quote from the WHO Director-General's speech on that date in which  he announces the disease name, and clearly and deliberately states that the WHO conventional naming system does not refer to the geographic origin of the virus, and a link so you can check for yourself.

"Now to coronavirus.

First of all, we now have a name for the disease:

COVID-19. I’ll spell it: C-O-V-I-D hyphen one nine – COVID-19.

Under agreed guidelines between WHO, the World Organisation for Animal Health and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, we had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, an individual or group of people, and which is also pronounceable and related to the disease.

Having a name matters to prevent the use of other names that can be inaccurate or stigmatizing. It also gives us a standard format to use for any future coronavirus outbreaks."

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-2019-ncov-on-11-february-2020

Try facts next time.

• Like 1