Sakon Nakhon governor BANS sale of alcohol until 16 April

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I learnt something out of this whole exercise; the real rulers of the Land are those governors. They can overrule, instruct, implement and cancel at will. 

On the other hand, this regulation might allow for some pocket money by the controlling authorities, i.e. the BiB as they, in turn, have financial needs too .......... 

The same as the state governors in America and the state premiers in Australia, it is the same the world over where you have states and provinces, they all have their own leaders.

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Out here in the moo ban, the bros-in-law and I have gone through a box of big Leos, and two 1 liter bottles of Blend 285. Now they're doing small bottles of lao khao every evening before dinner, which is too hardcore for me. Next on the menu is a 1.5 liter bottle of 100 Pipers, which by the looks of things we'll have to stretch out. Bah. I could really go for some Jack.

Must be some of the few Thai men who drink Leo. It's considered a woman's drink around where we live.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The Midget has just informed me that this might happen nationwide as we come upto Songkran as Thai people cannot control themselves, Im going to Makro this morning just in case for a few cases,

Exactly what I would do. Gonna be drunk at some time anyway, good to have a stash!????

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Surprisingly since I moved to Thailand from Cambodia 3 years ago, my personal alcohol consumption has dropped from 'a lot' to almost zero, so this doesn't bother me though I ask, what's the point?

However my rural village are not going to be happy about this. From day 1 here i could not help notice the amount of Lao Khao consumed pretty much 24/7. Many residents are permanently drunk, on my morning walks there would be several invites to join a group 'breakfast-drinking'. I asked one small shopkeeper if the village had a problem with hangovers, answer 'No, never stop drink, never have hangover'

My first wife died from alcoholism at age 48, a few years after we divorced. When the poo yai broadcasts local deaths, he actually says 'cause of death - too much Lao Khao'.

Maybe do some people good if they can't drink for a few weeks.

Jeez,that Lao khao you could run a 2 stroke motorsai on it,same when i used to live in a village one guy would come to my ex wife's shop and down a mi50 bottle of it before work,then about 5pm he would come and buy a regular bottle,his wife did not like it ,so he used to go and hide in the banana trees and sup it there.

In Thailand, it is often all about control, with no practical purpose behind the order. And, as usual with laws that make no sense, businesses outside of the big-name stores like Tesco and 7-11 will ignore the rule, with every little local shop selling as usual.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Denim said:

Looks like a s**t load of alcohol will be sold by mom and pop shops at sunrise tomorrow.. A veritable stampede with Lao Khao becoming as rare as hens eggs.

Within a week the place will be over run by Somchai Kapones and there will be stills in all the eucalyptus plantations. Bootleg booze smuggled in on every dirt track.

Just need some enterprising people to erect some booze tents just over the border of Sakon Nakhon and make a nice bit of wedge.

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

The alcoholics won't be happy with this one, there will be big problems from this.

Making people stay at home is one thing, preventing them from having a little drink while sitting in their home with absolutely nothing to do is something very different.

riots coming soon

2 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Not everyone who likes to relax with a drink is a drunken addict you puritan.

people running stills in Saudi and Kuwait that I saw were a little more into than 'wanting to relax with a drink' lol. These are folks that cannot live without it (for in the M.E. they faced imprisonment) under any circumstances. I don't care if alcohol is your drug of choice but when your behavior affects the safety of others then it may affect my family or myself for its a terrible drug to be on for decision making. There's a lot of addicts out there that don't have a clue because denial is an alcohol junkies worst enemy.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

people running stills in Saudi and Kuwait that I saw were a little more into than 'wanting to relax with a drink' lol. These are folks that cannot live without it (for in the M.E. they faced imprisonment) under any circumstances. I don't care if alcohol is your drug of choice but when your behavior affects the safety of others then it may affect my family or myself for its a terrible drug to be on for decision making. There's a lot of addicts out there that don't have a clue because denial is an alcohol junkies worst enemy.. 

Happy memories of distilling SID in Saudi. Made a fortune.

3 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Split by an abstainer?. Nut job.

Domestic violence will rise due to the fact there is NO booz.

People get more irritated then ever.

Only the drinkers. It is a proven fact in Australia that domestic violence is 95% caused by drunken males 

• Confused 1

Don't they know that these type of actions can lead to lawlessness? Why would they further stress and already stressed population.

They will turn people to drugs which may be more available than alcohol. 

No rhyme or reason to this one. Does this apply in Bangkok? Tourists stuck here until the pandemic breaks will be pleased! No pubs, clubs, restaurants, massage parlours, girls, lets face it, no entertainment and then they take away what precious little is left? They are trying peoples patience. Maybe they want a riot to try out their new crowd control toys using mind altering waves? 

Edited by Sumarianson
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mung said:

absolutely ridiculous. I am sure having a drink in their own home during a stressful lockdown situation, was a small comfort to many. 

but it is like everything, there are some people out there that will not do as instructed and they ruin things for everybody and it is not only here in Thailand. People cannot do as instructed. You will get some people that will hassle the corner mom and pop stores to sell them their alcohol and then cause problems for those people. Some people are just down right selfish and don't care about what happens to other people as long as they get what they want.

Edited by Russell17au

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

The alcoholics won't be happy with this one, there will be big problems from this.

Making people stay at home is one thing, preventing them from having a little drink while sitting in their home with absolutely nothing to do is something very different.

A quick trip to the neighboring province to stock up will solve this problem.

Or the back door at mom & dad supermarket.