New requirements for a visa extension

While most countries are relaxing their procedures due to the coronavirus, good old Thailand decided to add some more.

For extending a visa you now also need a printed map of the location you are staying, plus a photograph of you standing outside of the premises you are staying. 

I was in the queue for ages today, like cattle.. all during the coronavirus too.
And when I finally got to see someone, they sent me away becasue I didn't have the two things listed above.
Embassy letter not enough.. you need a photograph and a map.

Now I understand why people criticize Thai procedure and protocol. It's totally nuts, especially at a time like this.
Starting to hate Thailand

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

For which type of extension and at which office?

For a Corona extension at Chiang Mai this is not required.

I got a 30 day visa on arrival at the airport, whatever that it's called.
At Chonburi immigration Jomtien/Pattaya.

Renewed it once already. 
Was going to do a border run, but can't obviously.

This seems to be a very new thing.
Never had it before.

When was the last time you tried to get a new visa?
You might find the same rules apply there now

Edited by theVenerable
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

When was the last time you tried to get a new visa?

I guess you mean extension and not visa: Today shortly after 1pm, for the same type of extension as you.

But i got it in Chiang Mai, you can see my report here: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1156705-getting-the-covid-extension-at-cm-report-from-3003/

So for people who want to get this extension in Jomtien it's good to know that they also might be required to prepare the documents mentioned by you, but it's not a country wide new rule.

Did you have a copy of the TM30 receipt in your documents?

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Just now, Aforek said:

Not new; some ( or many, I don't know ) ask for a map and a picture , mine too

but I read before what they need , so I got my plan and picture in front of the house 

Never been asked before.
I had TM30 documents.
Others in the office today were as shocked as I was.
Seems most people aren't privy to the same information as you.

• Like 1

I got it two - three months ago, and I got the list of documents I need before the extension

at that time, of course, nothing to do with covid 19, may be it's the first time for the picture, but for the map, many years already 

The precautionary principle: Always bring more than you think you will need, the full bunch of all possibilities. 

Then you have it if they ask for it. If they don't ask for it, then you still have it for the next time in case they do.

Be prepared!

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I got it two - three months ago, and I got the list of documents I need before the extension

at that time, of course, nothing to do with covid 19, may be it's the first time for the picture, but for the map, many years already 

Did you apply for a regular 30-day extension of the 30-day permission to stay you were given upon entering visa-exempt?

I extended my non-O visa (retirement) again on Tuesday 24th March, at CW, + multiple entry permit, as I posted about previously, (in at 6.30am and out before 8.30am). On that occasion (as on 2 previous years) I was asked to draw a map on the back of the application form to show the location of my condo. I’ve not heard anything about a copy of a map or photograph.

The information just seems to stay on the application and not be recorded anywhere. I do wonder about what happens to the vast amount of paper stored in immigration offices and can’t help feeling it would all be better scanned in online.