Bank Transfer for Guardian Visa Restrictions

The NON-O Guardian visa for the foreign parent of a foreign student in Thailand requires THB500,000 in a Thai bank for a stipulated period of time before application. The question is must this money be an international transfer or not, or may it be money that has been transferred from another Thai bank account of long standing of the applicant or, perhaps, a transfer of the applicant's account from another long-standing Thai bank account, the original funds having always originally been international transfers.

Thanks, Ubonjoe,

The child is already in school in Thailand on a NON-O Education visa until April next year.  The mother already has a NON-O Dependent visa based on my NI-OA long stay visa which terminates in a couple of months; hence, a change is in order.

Also, while in touch,  I am curious whether or not my wife can get her conversion accomplished here in Thailand rather than go back to her home country and start all over for a new NON-O visa as a guardian.  

Can conversion be done before the termination of her existing visa  or must she wait until the  termination of her  existing NI-O and ME?

Stay well!

Edited by Mapguy
content

(5) In the case of parents, there must be an account deposit with a local bank made in the name of father or mother of not less than Baht 500,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months. For the first year, it should have that said amount in the bank account for not less than 30 days at the submitted date of the application. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Also, while in touch,  I am curious whether or not my wife can get her conversion accomplished here in Thailand rather than go back to her home country and start all over for a new NON-O visa as a guardian.  

If she is the one appling for the extension based upon being the parent of a child attending school she can change the reason for her current extension for being a member of your family near the end of her current extension. No need to do any conversion for a new visa.

All she has to do is go to immigration with supporting documents for the new extension and apply for it.

Be aware that only one parent per child can apply for the extension.

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Two questions. What is the required documentation and what official certification is necessary? Perhaps someone knows from experience or it’s known through past reports. Again, this is without having to return to the home country.

4 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Two questions. What is the required documentation and what official certification is necessary? Perhaps someone knows from experience or it’s known through past reports. Again, this is without having to return to the home country.

For the 500k baht in the bank a letter from the bank and a updated bank book showing it is has been in the bank for 30 days for the first extension or 90 days for the 2nd one onward.

Copies of applicant passport photo page visa, extension if any, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

Original legalized birth certificate and a copy of the child attending school. 

Copies of the child's passport photo page, non-ed visa, extension of stay stamp, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. Letter from school confirming their enrollment and possibley their registration as as school. 

I think most schools that have foreign students will be aware of what is required and can assist with getting the extension.

I converted from a non O based on retirement, applied for in Thailand (originally converting from a visa exempt entry) to being based upon child in education last November at CW in BKK. Three weeks ago my two kids and I all extended again at CW. No need to leave country.

As per Ubonjoe, no need for funds to come from abroad, seasoned 2 mths in Nov 19 as was first application and 3 months Mar 20. I.e. the money was unable to be withdrawn and stayed in the account all through.

Apart from the usual passport copies and paperwork, the school (Bangkok Patana) provided necessary docs to support proof of education.

To link the guardian to child requires original birth certificate (and original of certified translation if not fully in English / embassy registration of birth overseas). My daughter was born in China, so Shanghai consulate registration was sufficient.

Overall I found the process straightforward and logical, if cumbersome and time consuming. The school are very familiar with the paperwork required, which helped, as I did not need to second guess that.