China again

Thousands of people have started to flood back into Chinese wet markets, with bats, rabbits and dogs still on offer despite the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-chinese-wet-markets-still-operation-despite-covid19/news-story/104a81601ff7b94fec6dae3e158ad0a1

hey, has anyone confirmed that they actually sold (or ate) bats at the wuhan market?  it's been repeated endlessly, so it's taken as truth, but is it?  i know they eat a lot of weird stuff, especially in guangdong, but then an isaan guy drives up our soi every other evening with his motorcycle sidecar full of crickets and grubs, much like that guy with the bugs along the beach in pattaya.

i've seen dog, cat, horse, turtle, frog at the markets.  snakes in alcohol which i think you can get in thailand and cambodia also.  never bothered much with chinese medicine, other than roots and bark.  did see dried sea creatures at the pharmacist - seahorses, sea urchins, cuttlefish.  read about the rhino horn and bear bile but have no firsthand information.

i'm asking because i just read that the famous video of bat soup was actually filmed by a travel blogger in palau.  i decided to look that up as the link in the op has a series of photos of dogs in guangxi province (yes, they do indeed eat dogs there), but also a photo of bats sandwiched (no pun) in between. 

that's fine, but in tiny little letters says the photo of bats was taken in a market in indonesia, not china.  if this is so widespread, why knowingly use a photo from another country?  just asking, as it seems a little dishonest to me.

from what i'm reading, the source of the virus was a bat that infected another animal or animals, which in turn made it's way to the market, in turn infecting a chinese there.  don't know what the intermediary animal(s) were, but didn't dna testing indicate a pangolin?  and then somehow made it's way to a shrimp vendor (currently the closest found to patient zero) at the wuhan market?

The Pangolin carries a virus which is extremely close to the SARS CoV-2 virus...  (but not an exact match). 

One of the theories is the illegal trade and confined ’storage’ of this mammal may have led the interspecies exchange of genetic fragments of coronavirus. 

That is a very dumbed down summary...   this article goes into greater depth. 

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30106-7/pdf

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

hey, has anyone confirmed that they actually sold (or ate) bats

Wife  said  she used to eat bats as a child 40  years in Loei  ago, the humane  method was to catch them and throw them straight onto the fire.......lovely

• Haha 1