BANGKOK
miketu

Child Support In Thailand If You Father A Child?

Hi all, what is the law in Thailand if you father a child?  Are you obligated by law to pay child support to the mother like in western countries?

Thanks

An aquaintence of mine had a child with a thai woman. They got divorced and when i asked about the child he said the law required him to pay 100baht per day for his child. Don't know if he pays or not, not in contact with him

The only child support in Thailand is the mother having to sell her Jim usually the father has done one, 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Not to be too blunt about it as I don't know your situation or your future plans, but there is nothing stopping you getting on a plane and jetting off back home without paying a single baht if that is what you wish to do, is there? They will hardly come looking for you abroad (they aren't the CSA 😁

Not that I am advocating such behavior, just presuming that what you want to do otherwise you wouldn't have asked! 

Some time ago I read about German lawyers helping Thai women (who live in Thailand) to get money from the German fathers of their babies.

If unmarried, there is no legal obligation to pay maintenance. DNA test changes nothing. Even if you agree to a legally set up contract, this can be viewed as 'voluntary' and is only with difficulty enforceable, especially outside of Thailand. 

I am married and know that a Thai document claiming maintenance if I go live back home (Switzerland) for a year or two would be of little value for tax purposes etc.

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

They will hardly come looking for you abroad (they aren't the CSA

The CSA didn't look for you abroad either (not called the CSA anymore).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, miketu said:

Hi all, what is the law in Thailand if you father a child?

Tell us more.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:33 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read about German lawyers helping Thai women (who live in Thailand) to get money from the German fathers of their babies.

What happens if the German father is divorced in Germany and his ex claims alimony for herself? 

2 minutes ago, micmichd said:

What happens if the German father is divorced in Germany and his ex claims alimony for herself? 

I don't know the details. But what I know is that the child is made #1 priority. And it does not matter where the child is.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:12 AM, BritManToo said:

If unmarried there are no laws to enforce child support, and you have no rights as a father.

I had a child with a Myanmar lady in Thailand. We were not, and still not married. Her and my names are on the birth certificate but because she was from Myanmar, me Australia and baby born in Thailand the birth certificate listed him as no nationality. He chocked on his milk at 6 weeks, died on the way to the hospital, revived but suffered brain damage from being without oxygen for so long. As he was stateless I applied for him to become Australian Citizen by Descent. This took about 7 months but finally happened then I got his Australian passport. In that time his mother started neglecting him (we were not living together by her choice) so I went into discussions with Queensland state adoption. Now he is in the care of a wonderful foster carer in Australia.

I guess what I am saying is not married but still managed to get all this done as his father.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1