Child Support In Thailand If You Father A Child?

miketu

An aquaintence of mine had a child with a thai woman. They got divorced and when i asked about the child he said the law required him to pay 100baht per day for his child. Don't know if he pays or not, not in contact with him

11 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Not to be too blunt about it as I don't know your situation or your future plans, but there is nothing stopping you getting on a plane and jetting off back home without paying a single baht if that is what you wish to do, is there? They will hardly come looking for you abroad (they aren't the CSA ????

Not that I am advocating such behavior, just presuming that what you want to do otherwise you wouldn't have asked! 

Some time ago I read about German lawyers helping Thai women (who live in Thailand) to get money from the German fathers of their babies.

If unmarried, there is no legal obligation to pay maintenance. DNA test changes nothing. Even if you agree to a legally set up contract, this can be viewed as 'voluntary' and is only with difficulty enforceable, especially outside of Thailand. 

I am married and know that a Thai document claiming maintenance if I go live back home (Switzerland) for a year or two would be of little value for tax purposes etc.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:33 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read about German lawyers helping Thai women (who live in Thailand) to get money from the German fathers of their babies.

What happens if the German father is divorced in Germany and his ex claims alimony for herself? 

2 minutes ago, micmichd said:

What happens if the German father is divorced in Germany and his ex claims alimony for herself? 

I don't know the details. But what I know is that the child is made #1 priority. And it does not matter where the child is.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:12 AM, BritManToo said:

If unmarried there are no laws to enforce child support, and you have no rights as a father.

I had a child with a Myanmar lady in Thailand. We were not, and still not married. Her and my names are on the birth certificate but because she was from Myanmar, me Australia and baby born in Thailand the birth certificate listed him as no nationality. He chocked on his milk at 6 weeks, died on the way to the hospital, revived but suffered brain damage from being without oxygen for so long. As he was stateless I applied for him to become Australian Citizen by Descent. This took about 7 months but finally happened then I got his Australian passport. In that time his mother started neglecting him (we were not living together by her choice) so I went into discussions with Queensland state adoption. Now he is in the care of a wonderful foster carer in Australia.

I guess what I am saying is not married but still managed to get all this done as his father.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

No Thai citizens were involved, so no Thai authorities cared.

True

Actually the paediatrician and the infant neurologist at RAM hospital in Chiang Mai were very good on his 7 week stay in hospital and afterwards.

Edited by Dazinoz

Fathers in Thailand have no legal responsibilities whatsoever regarding their offspring. Only when you are married with the mother, some responsibilities come into play, but good luck for the mother in pursuing those in court.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maprao said:
On 3/31/2020 at 7:33 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Unenforceable 

Really?

As far as I know the German father goes to jail in Germany if he does not comply.

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

As far as I know the German father goes to jail in Germany if he does not comply.

The minute a German lawyer started sniffing around or filing for paternity tests etc you could just fly to thailand have the courts in thailand demand you pay 3500 thb month and then tell the german lawyers to politely get ****** lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I had a child with a Myanmar lady in Thailand. We were not, and still not married. Her and my names are on the birth certificate but because she was from Myanmar, me Australia and baby born in Thailand the birth certificate listed him as no nationality. He chocked on his milk at 6 weeks, died on the way to the hospital, revived but suffered brain damage from being without oxygen for so long. As he was stateless I applied for him to become Australian Citizen by Descent. This took about 7 months but finally happened then I got his Australian passport. In that time his mother started neglecting him (we were not living together by her choice) so I went into discussions with Queensland state adoption. Now he is in the care of a wonderful foster carer in Australia.

I guess what I am saying is not married but still managed to get all this done as his father.

Wow  .. what a nice person you are. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, miketu said:

Are you obligated by law to pay child support to the mother like in western countries?

Not really, but might depend on if you are legally married. I read some time ago that there have been court cases with 3,000 baht to 5,000 baht a month stated as child support.

If you are not married, a name on a child's birth certificate is no proof of father-ship, as @BritManToo says. You have no legal rights, and probably no obligations. For legal rights you might need a DNA-test and court order; or if the child is old enough, seven years or older (I believe it is), together with the mother confirm that you are the father at an amphor office; I've used the amphor-method myself for legalization.

Another thing is the moral issue – if you are sure, you are the father – and donate some, for both parts, reasonable level of child support.

????

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I genuinely admire you for the action that you took particularly in view of your son’s disability.

Unfortunately there are many and it’s not only in Thailand, who think that children are dispensable to be thrown aside to become a responsibility for others.

I obtained custody of my seven year old son in Australia in the days when it was unusual for a father to gain such rights and there were no single parents pensions for men.

I have no regrets and he remained at home until he married as an adult and during those years did not obtain one cent in support from his mother.

I shake my head in despair when I read posts asking is there an obligation to support your child.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I genuinely admire you for the action that you took particularly in view of your son’s disability.

Unfortunately there are many and it’s not only in Thailand, who think that children are dispensable to be thrown aside to become a responsibility for others.

I obtained custody of my seven year old son in Australia in the days when it was unusual for a father to gain such rights and there were no single parents pensions for men.

I have no regrets and he remained at home until he married as an adult and during those years did not obtain one cent in support from his mother.

I shake my head in despair when I read posts asking is there an obligation to support your child.

Agree. I guess only difference is that "farang" ask if obligation. Thai men just take off. That last point maybe a bit generalised but EVERY single girl with a child I have spoken to the father just took off and left. And I have spoken to quite a few.

Why are you asking if you are legally required to pay child support.  The question should be ethical and moral.  If you were man enough to biologically father the child then you should be man enough to support the child.  If not, then you are not a man.