New York greets hospital ship with cheers; California cases soar

webfact

36 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Did you read the OP?

"The Comfort will treat non-coronavirus patients"

I am sure that will work out just fine, how will they know when some one newly infected comes on board for a regular old cut or broken leg. They check the guy ok he is clear the whole time spreading the virus. No way they can keep a spreader off unless they will not except patient. Trumps legacy of failure will follow him for years, it is called history and his handling of this emergency will be exposed he cannot hide, cover up or lie away the virus and his incompetence

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Is that the Govs last numbers? He has a press conference every day, how many NYers are on ventilators right now?

Article below says only 2,352.

This is the thing I do not understand.  I grew up with flus, worked in Alaska for 20 years and saw many many people get the flu, only a few went to a hospital.  There is no "treatment" for flu other than fluids and bed rest.  Those who reach the viral pneumonia stage need hospitalization and ventilators. 

"In New York, the number of people hospitalized was 9,517, up 12 percent from yesterday. Of those, 2,352 are in ventilator-equipped intensive care rooms"   

So why are an additional ~7,200 people being admitted into hospitals if they are not on ventilators?

From March 30.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I am sure that will work out just fine, how will they know when some one newly infected comes on board for a regular old cut or broken leg. They check the guy ok he is clear the whole time spreading the virus. No way they can keep a spreader off unless they will not except patient. Trumps legacy of failure will follow him for years, it is called history and his handling of this emergency will be exposed he cannot hide, cover up or lie away the virus and his incompetence

Wouldn't that be the same if the guy with the broken leg goes to any other hospital?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

In California, another hard-hit state, Governor Gavin Newsom said the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations had nearly doubled over the past four days and the number of ICU patients had tripled. By Monday, 1,421 California patients had been hospitalized, up from 746 four days ago, he said. 

All rubbish...

Harry says it safer than Canada that why he is moving to LA.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, donnacha said:

When they announced, in late January, the ban on travel from China, I remember thinking "Wow, someone there actually understands what is happening". No other country grasped the necessity until later months. Of course, the government was heavily criticized and denounced as racist by the media/Democrats, but that brave decision bought the American people invaluable time.

Nice set of lies! Directly from Trump's tweets!

(1) Most developed countries declared a China travel ban around the same time, I.e. Italy before the US

(2) the Dems did not criticize the CHINA travel ban. You will not be able to make any quote mentioning the CHINA travel ban to support this lie! 

Edited by candide

6 hours ago, candide said:

Nice set of lies! Directly from Trump's tweets!

(1) Most developed countries declared a China travel ban around the same time, I.e. Italy before the US

(2) the Dems did not criticize the CHINA travel ban. You will not be able to make any quote mentioning the CHINA travel ban to support this lie! 

(1) The US and Italy introduced their restrictions on the same day. They were the only countries to act in January. Italy was already in deep trouble by then, the US deserves some credit for taking action at a significantly earlier stage. At the time only six people in the US were confirmed to be infected, and no deaths.

(2) Joe Biden called Trump’s Chinese Coronavirus travel ban ‘Xenophobia’. Joe Biden is a member of the Democratic Party.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:03 AM, SimpleMan555 said:

I did the research for you.... (TET: 3m)      'Google' is your friend  ????

"USNS Comfort docks in NY 10 days after Rachel Maddow said it would take 'weeks' 
(Fox News headline)

https://www.foxnews.com/media/usns-comfort-ny-rachel-maddow

The US Navy Hospital Ship is "like adding a whole other hospital to New York City," mayor says.
(CNN Headline)

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-30-20-intl-hnk/h_2f7ca98871d68447e7e5c9da15680e88

Chomp, Chomp.... ????

But, she was only parroting what your own government was predicting.

Maybe revoking the licence of the current government would actually also not such a bad idea.

On 3/31/2020 at 5:12 AM, webfact said:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who was among the dignitaries to greet the ship's arrival. He said preparations for the ship, including dredging, took eight days, much less than the two weeks initially expected.

• Like 1

"Some bystanders chanted, "Trump, Trump, Trump," as the huge vessel neared the Midtown Manhattan pier where it docked."

Yes, President Trump is bringing the country together.  Three months ago, these New Yorkers hated him.  Now they love him.  

Trump 2020 guaranteed!

• Like 2

A guy with some of the most progressive views here.

Yeah R. Maddow is fake news and a shill for the neo-liberal agenda. She gets like 50k a month to do a huge disservice to the American people. Shame on her IMO.

Well, after all said and done. She is an actress...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

"Some bystanders chanted, "Trump, Trump, Trump," as the huge vessel neared the Midtown Manhattan pier where it docked."

Yes, President Trump is bringing the country together.  Three months ago, these New Yorkers hated him.  Now they love him.  

Trump 2020 guaranteed!

Although I would like to see Bernie win. I think Trump will in deed win. Christ, who can vote for Biden? Biden will probably have a health problem and his VP will take over.

Also as I mentioned last week on here, I have more support for Trump now despite many of his issues. I just wish we could have more transparency.

I can understand Trump needs to keep his base. The guy has no allegiances and is open to any creed or any ideology that will help himself. Given that, I do believe he always has his personal interests in mind rather than the American People.

p.S. If you don't think your government is corrupt and filled with corporate shills. You may be naive.  They can't impeach Trump if they have done the same wrongdoings for years before him. Eye for an eye...

Edited by Solinvictus

12 hours ago, Susco said:

But, she was only parroting what your own government was predicting.

Maybe revoking the licence of the current government would actually also not such a bad idea.

It is hard to understand why the arrival of a hospital ship would require dredging, unless it was sent to a wharf/pier that was unaccustomed to receiving ships of any kind. A hospital ship carries virtually no cargo, so should be relatively shallow drafted.

19 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

A guy with some of the most progressive views here.

Yeah R. Maddow is fake news and a shill for the neo-liberal agenda. She gets like 50k a month to do a huge disservice to the American people. Shame on her IMO.

Well, after all said and done. She is an actress...

She gets about $600k/mo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

President Trump was tied up with the impeachment hearings while the virus was getting going.  Pelosi drained valuable resources from the government at a critical time with her treasonous efforts.  After Trump is reelected, there will be hell to pay for the traitors.

Other than his non stop Tweeting, what about the impeachment occupied the President's time?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

It is hard to understand why the arrival of a hospital ship would require dredging, unless it was sent to a wharf/pier that was unaccustomed to receiving ships of any kind. A hospital ship carries virtually no cargo, so should be relatively shallow drafted.

perhaps it was pre-stocked to maximum weight capacity with medical supplies, water, etc etc ??

or other possibility you mentioned

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 7:55 PM, Skallywag said:

Article below says only 2,352.

This is the thing I do not understand.  I grew up with flus, worked in Alaska for 20 years and saw many many people get the flu, only a few went to a hospital.  There is no "treatment" for flu other than fluids and bed rest.  Those who reach the viral pneumonia stage need hospitalization and ventilators. 

"In New York, the number of people hospitalized was 9,517, up 12 percent from yesterday. Of those, 2,352 are in ventilator-equipped intensive care rooms"   

So why are an additional ~7,200 people being admitted into hospitals if they are not on ventilators?

From March 30.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html

admission criteria is not limited to requiring a ventilator. comorbid diseases needing support/treatment, some are social= have no help where they live and are too fragile/old debilitated to care for themselves. some require supplemental oxygen short of intubation, etc etc

1 minute ago, atyclb said:

perhaps it was pre-stocked to maximum weight capacity with medical supplies, water, etc etc ??

or other possibility you mentioned

Maybe, but it can make it's own water and that would be 10's of thousands of tons of cargo and given it is for the use of humans I assume it is mostly empty space. Even a hospital ward is mostly empty space. It's not really important, it just had me wondering. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 9:43 AM, Skallywag said:
On 3/31/2020 at 5:12 AM, webfact said:

1,000-bed U.S. Navy hospital ship arrived in New York Harbor and docked on Manhattan's west side on Monday (March 30) after departing Norfolk, Virginia

Hospitals in the city have been overrun with patients suffering from COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the virus. New York state accounts for almost half the country's more than 152,000 cases and more than 40% of its more than 2,800 deaths,

Might as well just tell severely infected to visit the local mortuary and lay in a coffin.  1,000 beds is not what is needed.  30,000 ventilators is what is needed.

Anyone who does meet the demographic and are currently not exhibiting "severe" symptoms, should not be given a hospital bed, no matter how good their insurance is. 

There are no drugs for a "flu" virus...fluids, rest, and ultimately a ventilator if respiratory system is failing is all that can be done.

"There are no drugs for a "flu" virus...fluids, rest, and ultimately a ventilator if respiratory system is failing is all that can be done."

Hmmm, no drugs for treatment, ok professor, you should contact mass general hospital, harvard medical school ASAP and inform them their Covid 19 treatment algorithm is wrong.  see below

https://www.massgeneral.org/assets/MGH/pdf/news/coronavirus/covid-19_domID_treatmentGuide_figure1.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 12.32.08.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Great job by Trump and all personnel to get this ship to NY on time

despite idiots like Rachel Maddow.

r maddow is far from an idiot (a rhodes scholar if i recall correctly) but she is paid to follow a specific narrative

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Great job by Trump and all personnel to get this ship to NY on time

despite idiots like Rachel Maddow.

Rachel Maddow reported the schedule released by the Pentagon.  How did that obstruct the progress of the ship?

• Like 1

Through all the treasonous efforts led by the main stream media and leftist politicians, President Trump stands tall.

Now a cheering New York is on his side.

MAGA 2020 is assured and with the help of true American patriots he will make the country even better.

Thank you, President Trump!

Edited by Kelsall
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Through all the treasonous efforts led by the main stream media and leftist politicians, President Trump stands tall.

Now a cheering New York is on his side.

MAGA 2020 is assured and with the help of true American patriots he will make the country even better.

Thank you, President Trump!

You clearly have a Trump-centric definition of treason that has nothing to do with reality.

It takes a small number of people to make noise at a pier.  Let's wait and see a proper poll of New Yorkers before concluding "New York is on his side".

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You clearly have a Trump-centric definition of treason that has nothing to do with reality.

It takes a small number of people to make noise at a pier.  Let's wait and see a proper poll of New Yorkers before concluding "New York is on his side".

Disagree.

Edited by Kelsall

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

r maddow is far from an idiot (a rhodes scholar if i recall correctly) but she is paid to follow a specific narrative

She should then state the following:  "I'm not an idiot but I play one on this television show."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

I look on from Australia ... maybe a more objective position from which to listen to POTUS messaging. A different take on cool demeanours and messaging ...

A pattern is clear to me ...

(a) If Trump speaks "naturally" (as, for example in any of his campaign or fund raising speeches or WH press briefings) he is speaking 'honestly' and 'from the heart'. imo that is a very distorted version of honesty and very dark place, but it's a genuine message. We can believe it reflects his state of mind and his nature as a human being.

I think history will judge him on these messages..

(b) If Trump speaks more slowly, many pauses, uses a vocabulary unusual for him, does not pause for effect etc., then he is reading from a teleprompter or script prepared by others. I believe his advisers have told him this message needs to be delivered verbatim to save lives or advance America's vital interest.

I think history will recognise these as simply 'public service' messages.

When he is delivering messages in (b) mode, he does not always keep fully to the script, but these departures usual happen after the 'public service' content has been delivered, for example in Q&A session or the next WH briefing or the next tweet. 

Of course, about 50% of folk interested in the topic may disagree with me ... but, as with any pattern, there is a simple test ... observe it over time .. see if you can detect it yourself.

There will be plenty of opportunities to do that in the coming months as the consequences of delivering the wrong message ... or delivering the right message wrongly ... prove not just politically important but ... literally ... fatal.

My guess? Death focusses attention and alters behaviour like nothing else so (a) will tend to diminish and (b) will tend to increase in future.

I'm an atheist, but i understand and accept that many US citizens aren't ... so ... God help America.

I wonder what you might conclude if he spoke like Joe Biden.

Slow, stuttering, confused, with advancing dementia.

• Like 2