Chonburi ramps up virus measures - ALL bars and restaurants shut to patrons, alcohol sales BANNED after 6pm

webfact

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

The New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

Outdated, and almost certainly wrong based on results out of Korea. We'll have a conclusive answer for this soon with the antibody tests the UK is doing. Except you're positioned to reject those results as you don't trust the UK, so it would seem no amount of data will satisfy you.

28 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Are there any more people dying right now than on any usual day in each year ???

No !!! Look at the statistics and there are no more people dying than "normal".

Lombardy overall death rate was up 80% a few weeks ago. Who knows what that number is now. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Well, the people who die in Italy, according to the Italian Government,

are an average of 80 years old with 2 or more heavy conditions BEFORE corona !!!

About 2,000 people die EVERY day in Italy on any given day every year .... that's 14,000 every given week !!!

Are there any more people dying right now than on any usual day in each year ???

No !!! Look at the statistics and there are no more people dying than "normal".

What does the number 11,591 say ? Nothing at all as long as we do not know the conditions.

You can die WITH a virus or FROM a virus.

The numbers published on Corona Virus say nothing at all as long as we do not know how many people are tested

or if the test is actually working. According to Doctors the accuracy of the test is less than 50% !!!

... the Pandemic is in your head !!! The Panic is REAL !!!

Healthy 21 year old in the UK dead.  (see link) 

There's been about 61 healthy doctors in Italy die from it.  I gather of working age.  Most likely caught whilst treating patients.  Heros, every one of them.  (see link)

Same for the healthy 41 year old doctor in China.  I believe it was his death that started the global concern that it didn't just kill older people.   

We must not forget that the virus that first came out of Wuhan, may not be the virus doing all the killing today.  It could have mutated, but I'm not a virologist.  

So, I'm calling BS on your posts.    

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52041709

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-30-20-intl-hnk/h_d385acb67991afbdcf4c87aed856f0e6

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

I dont get the booze ban bit, what is the problem going to the store and buying a box of beer to take home while doing your shopping? What effect does sitting in your house drinking a beer have? 

It's all about control. Anyway, any store apart from the major companies will ignore it, same as they do with the 'can only buy in three hours of daylight 11-2' nonsense, and on religious holidays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lampangguy said:

hard to believe they are just doing this now....damn

So no beer sales after 18.00, but ok between 17.00 and 18.00 and this 18.00 ban will stop social gathering.

The only thing that will stop social gathering by  thais is confiscation of anything they may own, motorbike , truck etc and they don't get it back until it is road legal, there, two birds with one stone, 

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And sharing food is not a health hazard as long as minor precautions are taken. Do you really think people are sharing utensils and being that reckless at this stage? I see alot of Thais who are in a panic over this. It is possible that is exactly where the army wants them to be?

Your apparent seething hatred for the army appears to be impacting on your higher level intelligence functions.

Take a chill pill and reassess. 

Objectively, based on your posts, every government in the world are pulling the wrong policy levers.

Only you have the answer.

Hmmm......

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Dude. sorry, you are totally wrong. Have you done research on how incredibly easy it is to transmit this virus? It's not only utensils. Sharing a meal with friends whether sharing the same dishes or not generally means being close together and breathing perhaps coughing and sneezing in the same close space. Remember -- SOCIAL DISTANCING. That's the opposite. Also you may be touching surfaces that others have touched. Remember -- hand to face transmission. Also keep in mind that normal talking results in people spraying out even though it's not always visible like a sneeze. You're with your wife. Cool. If one of you gets it, it's highly likely the other will too. We're not talking about that. 

Spidermike007    Sharing a bottle of whisky with no glasses is common place, forget the utensils have you not seen the Thai's using there eating spoon to serve themselves from the common dish ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Of course I've been to them.  How many of them will still be around when all of this is finished?  Obviously, this is having a huge effect on domestic tourism as well. 

I think it is the opposite. Domestic tourism is the cause , not the effect. Cant imagine too many internal tourist specifically looking for a farang bar or restaurant. In a week or two domestic tourism, indeed internal travel will be finished for quite a while.

A little off topic, but for the people who think Thailand is going over the top with restrictions, as of tomorrow any gathering of more than 2 people is banned in Oz. Depending on which state you live in the fines range from 20,000 baht on the spot to over 35,000 baht and the possibility of jail.

Social distancing is the answer and it is being taken very, very seriously.

Lets leave the pedantic posts about what if...blah blah blah. Yes you can be with your family group at all times. But NO you cannot go and visit family who do not live with you if the number of people exceeds 2.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We had over a million Chinese tourists here in December and another million in January. In addition to another two million from elsewhere. All in close proximity and few practicing social distancing. 

Use your reason. If this thing was going to blow up, it would a have happened long ago. Barely a blip this far. Alot of panic over a nothing burger. 

In the UK 4 weeks ago we were told: "Wash your hands more often than usual, for 20 seconds using soap and hot water, particularly after coughing, sneezing and blowing your nose, or after being in public areas where other people are doing so. Use hand sanitiser if that’s all you have access to."

The next week were were told to social distance, avoid unnecessary journeys and meeting, avoid pubs and restaurants.

The next week Johnson closed pubs and restaurants.

Then last week lockdown and only now there seems to be a decline in numbers (over the last 3 days), even with the lockdown we still see people breaking the rules, do you think Thailand will be better disciplined???

11 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I think it is the opposite. Domestic tourism is the cause , not the effect. Cant imagine too many internal tourist specifically looking for a farang bar or restaurant. In a week or two domestic tourism, indeed internal travel will be finished for quite a while.

A little off topic, but for the people who think Thailand is going over the top with restrictions, as of tomorrow any gathering of more than 2 people is banned in Oz. Depending on which state you live in the fines range from 20,000 baht on the spot to over 35,000 baht and the possibility of jail.

Social distancing is the answer and it is being taken very, very seriously.

Lets leave the pedantic posts about what if...blah blah blah. Yes you can be with your family group at all times. But NO you cannot go and visit family who do not live with you if the number of people exceeds 2.

How can you think the opposite, then agree with me????

I agree with the total shutdowns in countries that have gone down that path.  The sudden and harsh halt to their economy will be painful, but last for a shorter period of time. 

You would think that Thailand, with its huge tourism industry, would have gone done the same path as well, not to mention, protecting its citizens, but they did nothing for so long, so their economy will keep sliding, long after other economies have opened up for business.  

I don't expect Thailand to come off the Foreign Office warning lists of many countries for quite some time, easily 6 months, possibly over 1 year. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheAceFace said:

Mexico, have little, next to US to......think about it folks, something not right here

Different time table. Almost no testing. Check back in three weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/coronavirus-mexico-us-border-covid-19/2020/03/30/18ad79b2-7061-11ea-a156-0048b62cdb51_story.html

• Like 1

Nice order not sure if I will go out tonight but so far since this all started aside from the massages and bars particularly owned and run by foreigners I don't see any changes from the Thais.  Places all along Nernpludwan on the Darkside still doing a booming business like all the popular Jim June BBQ places.

Sunday, out past the Lake all dried up but at the entrance Soi Siam cars parked packed while everyone is up there exercising?

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

OK, you pick up your food and go to the beach which is a public beach and not a beach that is owned by you for your exclusive use. So now I will get my food and my wife and go to the same beach and sit next to you and your wife and my next door neighbour will do the same and your next door neighbour will then do the same so it will not take long for maybe 100 to 1000 people get on the same beach. These same rules are in force in all countries in the world not just here in Thailand to try and stop the spread of this virus, but some people just cannot see beyond their own personal wants. The inane nonsense is the people wanting to congregate together and ignore any reasonable reason to try and stop the spread of this virus instead they only think about themselves. You say there is ONLY nine deaths nationwide, do you want to risk being number ten by not keeping safe distance from other people. What would your answer to this virus be to try and stop the spread and to try and stop people from dying from it? 

I agree.  If one couple can go to the beach, every one will go to beach, and then some will come home with the virus.  Then it just keeps going on, and on, and on.

I liken it to an air raid in WW2.  When the siren went off, everyone ran to a bomb shelter.  Well, for Corona Virus, they have sounded the siren through the global media, and the bomb shelter you need to head for is your home, and stay there, only coming out for essential items.  Eg. food. 

just the way a bomb didn't drop on every house during an air raid, but you still ran to the bomb shelter, you can't take the risk being outside, around other people. 

It's as simple as that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

I dont get the booze ban bit, what is the problem going to the store and buying a box of beer to take home while doing your shopping? What effect does sitting in your house drinking a beer have? 

Absolutely zero to do with the virus. Its yet another unnecessary and autocratic rule, because they can

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Absolutely zero to do with the virus. Its yet another unnecessary and autocratic rule, because they can

No, it is because idiots both Thai and farangs just want to get on the grog and not care about social distancing and it is easy to see that by some of the stupid post that have been posted

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacob29 said:

They're late to the party. The peak happens 2 weeks after quarantine. 5 dead easily turns into hundreds dead during this time, *if* it follows similar patterns of growth seen elsewhere. You don't really want to gamble on that if. Earlier is much, much better.

US went from ~61 deaths (Mar-16) to > 3000 today, that's 50x in two weeks.

NYC is a much more populated city than Pattaya, in fact, it makes Pattaya look like an Isaan village at the moment, also NYC has a subway that will no doubt have contributed just like London. 
Point being, the same methods of control are not required at each location

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Those dependent on alcohol will find this most difficult. The panic to find a drink will lead some to misadventure.

Why is this difficult? There are still 4 hours a day to buy it.... and it is available from hundreds of stores (in Pattaya). It couldn't be much easier.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Takeaway can be ordered by phone. In Bangkok they give you a number & an estimated time from ordering.

You can pick it up at the front door or get a motorbike taxi to do same.

In our apartment they are not allowed in so you need to go to the front entrance to pick it up..

Our apartment also has hand gel outside the lifts & masks MUST be worn in the lifts

They had hand gel actually in proper containers on the wall in the lifts but ,,,,, you guessed it

empty every 20 minutes with greedy bast.....s refilling their containers

So, how long does everyone think these restrictions will be in place?

I can see two outcomes:

Short term- 

Vaccine suddenly found & a mandatory requirement for immunisation (or confirmation that you've had the virus and have antibodies) before being allowed back into “normal”society?

Long-term-  

Twelve to eighteen months of different levels of lockdown and social restrictions after multiple waves of virus during the normal expected time to create a vaccine?

Any other options anybody?

9 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

NYC is a much more populated city than Pattaya, in fact, it makes Pattaya look like an Isaan village at the moment, also NYC has a subway that will no doubt have contributed just like London. 
Point being, the same methods of control are not required at each location

I agree, but the measures introduced here seem proportionate. In NYC they would be manifestly inadequate.

As I read it you will have 4 hours a day to buy your takeaway alcohol.

If you cannot plan this ,,,,,just maybe it is time for a break anyway.

Drinking in a public place is illegal & is on the statute books already.

Just the BIB cannot be bothered enforcing,

I think we all know that it is not the alcohol being restricted from a responsible drinking point of view but the rules unfortunately need to take into consideration "the lowest common denominator"

That is the nice way of saying it