Chonburi ramps up virus measures - ALL bars and restaurants shut to patrons, alcohol sales BANNED after 6pm

webfact

36 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How can you think the opposite, then agree with me????

I agree with the total shutdowns in countries that have gone down that path.  The sudden and harsh halt to their economy will be painful, but last for a shorter period of time. 

You would think that Thailand, with its huge tourism industry, would have gone done the same path as well, not to mention, protecting its citizens, but they did nothing for so long, so their economy will keep sliding, long after other economies have opened up for business.  

I don't expect Thailand to come off the Foreign Office warning lists of many countries for quite some time, easily 6 months, possibly over 1 year. 

Are you sure? Where is the proof that these measures will work? The infection apex has yet to be breached. (unless you believe China has done it). It's still just a theory but you're talking about it like it is a certainty.

The only certainty is that the world economy has been so badly affected by a worldwide shutdown that a depression is coming, the likes of which the world has never seen since 1930.

I see this:

1549909640_Thailandcovid.jpg.d06f4fe10e8dbe94d92c2210e0b24990.jpg

And this, in 2 months, is apparently justification to shut the country down indefinitely. The death rate in hot countries like Thailand is very low and virtually all victims are old and sick people. Even the 71 year old Prince Charles is out and about again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Do you seriously think that when the shutdown has been lifted, planes full of tourists will flock back immediately, and everything will pick up where it left off?  I don't think so

The selfish ones will. What needs to be thought of this example. Vietnam for example has not had 1 death so that country could be the first one to recover. That doesnt mean they are open for tourism, although their population might be safe to move around the country, they still cannot open their borders otherwise it will be back to square one

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

A lot of these bars and restaurants will cease to operate, and the landlord will be looking for a new tenant.   

The poor get poorer because they 

a) lose their business 
b) the landlord has to sell the building as no-one to rent to

The wealthy get more wealthy because it is these leeches that will benefit from cut price property and businesses

This whole thing stinks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Get real, on the 12th of March the UK had reported 8 deaths due to COVID-19, Yesterday they reported 1,408. the UK has a similar population to Thailand and better sanitary and hygiene.   

But Khan left the tubes open and people were still going to work? If you are going to amke comparisons at least do it like for like, New York and London/UK perhaps

2 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

But Khan left the tubes open and people were still going to work? If you are going to amke comparisons at least do it like for like, New York and London/UK perhaps

Yes, NHS workers have to get to work, and other essential workers, the rules were not clear enough so construction sites kept working too. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Healthy 21 year old in the UK dead.  (see link) 

There's been about 61 healthy doctors in Italy die from it.  I gather of working age.  Most likely caught whilst treating patients.  Heros, every one of them.  (see link)

Same for the healthy 41 year old doctor in China.  I believe it was his death that started the global concern that it didn't just kill older people.   

We must not forget that the virus that first came out of Wuhan, may not be the virus doing all the killing today.  It could have mutated, but I'm not a virologist.  

So, I'm calling BS on your posts.    

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52041709

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-30-20-intl-hnk/h_d385acb67991afbdcf4c87aed856f0e6

You were doing quite well throughout this thread and then I read this 1 where you call BS yet provide links from the BBC and CNN of all outlets haha credibility just flew out the Judge Rinder

26 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Yes, but a lot of that was due to authorities not ordering shutdowns early.  Those stories and photos of guys brooming down a street with some suds, comical.

Now, the world sits back and watches Thailand's tourism industry go down the toilet for an indefinite period of time.  

I was having a great time here, pre virus, but thinking to the future, it's looking more and more possible that I probably won't want to live in Pattaya a month or two from now, and not because of the virus, because of the economic destruction.

Why would the world sit back and watch Thailand’s tourism go down the toilet? Obviously going by your comments you do not look at or read any worldwide news items. Thailand is not the only country in your little world that has tourism. The whole tourism industry worldwide is effected. So enlighten us, where will you move to when you depart Pattaya due to the economic destruction. 

1 minute ago, Tongjaw said:

Why would the world sit back and watch Thailand’s tourism go down the toilet? Obviously going by your comments you do not look at or read any worldwide news items. Thailand is not the only country in your little world that has tourism. The whole tourism industry worldwide is effected. So enlighten us, where will you move to when you depart Pattaya due to the economic destruction. 

A question that must be worrying a lot of expat bar owners...

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Chonburi ramps up virus measures - ALL bars and restaurants shut to patrons, alcohol sales BANNED after 6pm

So what? You get stocked up at the right time 10 AM/ 2 PM and 5Pm /6 PM if one can't do that they shouldn't be drinking. 

50 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

No, it is because idiots both Thai and farangs just want to get on the grog and not care about social distancing and it is easy to see that by some of the stupid post that have been posted

Absolute cr@p Russel. "want to get on the grog and not care about social distancing" ????? There is no correlation between the 2. Bars are closed to avoid social distancing so what have those 2 things got to do with each other? 

So I can go buy pop and crisps and still sit with 4 people ? Jeez have a think before commenting such rubbish. Im an adult and dont appreciate being told Im not allowed a beer after 6. i dont drink that much tbh so Im not desperate to "get on the grog" I just like to be able to make my own conscious decisions, although its becoming quite obvious some people need others to dictate to them how they have to live

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tropo said:

Are you sure? Where is the proof that these measures will work? The infection apex has yet to be breached. (unless you believe China has done it). It's still just a theory but you're talking about it like it is a certainty.

The only certainty is that the world economy has been so badly affected by a worldwide shutdown that a depression is coming, the likes of which the world has never seen since 1930.

I see this:

1549909640_Thailandcovid.jpg.d06f4fe10e8dbe94d92c2210e0b24990.jpg

And this, in 2 months, is apparently justification to shut the country down indefinitely. The death rate in hot countries like Thailand is very low and virtually all victims are old and sick people. Even the 71 year old Prince Charles is out and about again.

South Korea did a good job of getting on top of it without big shutdowns.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/how-south-korea-flattened-its-coronavirus-curve-n1167376

The proof is in the maths.  For example, if one infected persons has contact with 10 people, and those 10 people have contact with 10 people, and son on and so on. 

The main goal is to stop the spread, but with self isolation and social distancing, hosts with the disease, don't have contact with 10 people.  That single host will either unfortunately die, or their immune system will kill the virus, like Prince Charles.  Either way, the virus is dead.  It never got a chance to infect 10 other people because the host, even not knowing they were a host at the time, isolated and distanced themselves.    

To simplify it, when we have the flu, we not only take a day or two off work because we feel like sh*te, but it also stops us giving it to out work collegues.  This is also social distancing and self isolation.  It's why school teachers send home sick kids, also. 

Having 300 people in a nightclub, in a city of nightclubs, with a global pandemic, is just ensuring many customers and staff and up infected, and in Thailand's case with tourism, those infected people hop on a plane two days later and go home to their city / country and spread it there.  You just can't have it.

Why do you think certain countries were quick to close their boarders, even locking out many of their own citizens?  Places like Pattaya were just a colony of Corona that has now left to the four quarters of the planet. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MR1888 said:

So, how long does everyone think these restrictions will be in place?

I can see two outcomes:

Short term- 

Vaccine suddenly found & a mandatory requirement for immunisation (or confirmation that you've had the virus and have antibodies) before being allowed back into “normal”society?

Long-term-  

Twelve to eighteen months of different levels of lockdown and social restrictions after multiple waves of virus during the normal expected time to create a vaccine?

Any other options anybody?

It will last as long as the ones who started it want it to last, or until enough old people have died and governments have saved enough on old age pensions to refill their coffers

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Vietnam for example has not had 1 death so that country could be the first one to recover. That doesnt mean they are open for tourism, although their population might be safe to move around the country, they still cannot open their borders otherwise it will be back to square one

Which is what I am saying.

Corona free countries will be accepting tourists from other Corona free countries, long before Thailand even accepts it has a problem. 

Each country will emerge from this in different time frames.  Thailand will be way behind most countries in the world.

The Thai Prime Minister could make a press release in 3 months declaring Thailand Corona free.  Do you think that Foreign Offices around the world will just lift their travel warning because of his press release? 

Remember, no travel insurance if you travel to a country with a travel warning on it.  Sure, you'll get a few mongers still come here, but families, couples etc, not a chance.    

We used to laugh how they have "killed the golden goose" here, well, now they actually have, but not in the way we have discussed in the past on TV. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

I agree, but the measures introduced here seem proportionate. In NYC they would be manifestly inadequate.

Banning the sale of alcohol is not proportionate in any way. I agree closing bars aids social distancing massively, but why not ban Pep$i or F4nta? You cant stop people partying at home if thats what they want to do (im talking Thais here) so why put a time limit on sales? It makes no sense whatsoever. If they banned sales altogether they would just get high on weed possibly passing the joint around!! I have tried looking at this from all angles and a time limit on when you can and cant buy ale is ridiculous

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

The poor get poorer because they 

a) lose their business 
b) the landlord has to sell the building as no-one to rent to

The wealthy get more wealthy because it is these leeches that will benefit from cut price property and businesses

This whole thing stinks

And who do you think is going to stroll in here, at the rock bottom, and buy up BIG?  Chinaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Geez, they can even continue to stop their citizens traveling here, to further cruel the Thai tourism industry, until Thailand practically begs the Chinese to buy assets here and let their citizens travel to Thailand again.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Yes, NHS workers have to get to work, and other essential workers, the rules were not clear enough so construction sites kept working too. 

To be honest its probably a good time to fix roads etc while all is quiet, as long as distancing is in order I dont see an issue. Getting people to stay in is the hard part. If the UK got like Italy and France and started beating people with sticks Im sure most would heed, but the UK has turned into a proper nanny state so thats hardly likely

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

You were doing quite well throughout this thread and then I read this 1 where you call BS yet provide links from the BBC and CNN of all outlets haha credibility just flew out the Judge Rinder

They were at the top of the first page, after a quick Google.  ????

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Corona free countries will be accepting tourists from other Corona free countries, long before Thailand even accepts it has a problem. 

Each country will emerge from this in different time frames.  Thailand will be way behind most countries in the world.

The Thai Prime Minister could make a press release in 3 months declaring Thailand Corona free.  Do you think that Foreign Offices around the world will just lift their travel warning because of his press release? 

Remember, no travel insurance if you travel to a country with a travel warning on it.  Sure, you'll get a few mongers still come here, but families, couples etc, not a chance.    

We used to laugh how they have "killed the golden goose" here, well, now they actually have, but not in the way we have discussed in the past on TV. 

Yeah sorry I wasnt arguing I was enhancing your point. I just hope like you say, only virus free countries allow travel between each other and no-one else

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

And who do you think is going to stroll in here, at the rock bottom, and buy up BIG?  Chinaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Geez, they can even continue to stop their citizens traveling here, to further cruel the Thai tourism industry, until Thailand practically begs the Chinese to buy assets here and let their citizens travel to Thailand again.   

Well they already control the Mekong so anything is possible

14 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

To be honest its probably a good time to fix roads etc while all is quiet, as long as distancing is in order I dont see an issue. Getting people to stay in is the hard part. If the UK got like Italy and France and started beating people with sticks Im sure most would heed, but the UK has turned into a proper nanny state so thats hardly likely

Could do, the problem seems to be London as in most parts of the country construction company workers would normally drive to work, as for working on the roads they take a lot of time to plan them with the intent to cause the most inconvenience to road users.

30 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Banning the sale of alcohol is not proportionate in any way. I agree closing bars aids social distancing massively, but why not ban Pep$i or F4nta? 

The ban of alcohol sales after 6pm didn't even register on my radar, it's such a non issue, seriously who cares, just buy it before 6pm. I was thinking about freedom to leave your room at will, which a few countries have revoked now.

14 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

The ban of alcohol sales after 6pm didn't even register on my radar, it's such a non issue, seriously who cares, just buy it before 6pm. I was thinking about freedom to leave your room at will, which a few countries have revoked now.

The issue for me is the control they cant help enforcing. The issue is rarely the crux, more the reasoning

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

To be allowed to travel we will have the equivalent of a bar code stamped on the back of our necks confirming you’ve either had a vaccine or have antibodies picked up after recovering from the virus