German repatriation flight from Phnom Penh “half empty” – UK tourists stranded in Cambodia unaware of its existence

geovalin

When things go bad forget about your embassy, make your own plans.

The guy who chartered the flight was on the right track and that was some good thinking, look after yourself because nobody else gives a shot

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When things go bad forget about your embassy, make your own plans.

The guy who chartered the flight was on the right track and that was some good thinking, look after yourself because nobody else gives a shot

As I said before go to Condor. The flights are there. 99.99 Euros one way to Frankfurt from multiple destinations across the World including Phuket and Bangkok. You just have to get from Frankfurt to the UK and there are regular flights in place for this. That includes luggage ))) Anyone can book the seats.

And no, the Germans are not only looking out for themselves, The flights are open to all if they are not full. They are however doing a damn sight more than our own UK government.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

If you want a flight back just go to Condor. Anyone can book them. The UK government has been telling everyone as I saw it advertised on the live feed on the BBC over a week ago. Its all over Twitter. You have to make your way back to the UK from Frankfurt as that is the only destination. One ways are 99.99 Euros

image.png.14cdc25c4de76cf7bf2e605fd04bb4c4.png

image.png.426ae44bc77f248849a07002543f3d0d.png

These are not regular flights. That's the flights the German government has booked to get their people back. If you had scolled down a bit you'd have seen this:

Mir ist bekannt, dass es sich um einen Flug im Rahmen des Rückholprogramms des Auswärtigen Amtes handelt, das vorrangig deutschen Staatsangehörigen und deren Familienangehörigen zur Verfügung steht. Mir ist bewusst, dass das Auswärtige Amt nach § 6 Konsulargesetz berechtigt ist, neben dem an Condor entrichteten Preis für das Flugticket im Nachgang eine Auslagenerstattung von mir zu fordern. 

In English: I am aware that this is a flight as part of the Federal Foreign Office's return program, which is primarily available to German citizens and their family members. I am aware that the Federal Foreign Office is entitled under Section 6 of the Consular Act to request a reimbursement of expenses in addition to the price paid to Condor for the flight ticket.

Here's a form to fill out if you want to fly out. I'm certain that they let other nationalities on the plane as well. ( It's in German, English and French. 

Do you really believe that you can get a Non stop flight from Bangkok to Frankfurt for 99 Euros???And if you search an ordinary flight, Condor tells you that they don't fly this route.  

Form .pdf

Edited by Isaanbiker

9 hours ago, geovalin said:

2 flights to repatriate German tourists in Cambodia that left from Phnom Penh yesterday have been described as “half empty” – with stranded UK tourists expressing anger that they were not informed of the flights

wrong passport I would say.????

6 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

wrong passport I would say.????

Wrong statement, I'd say. 

Hell, no! If the German government would have known of them, they'd have taken them on board, believe me.

Now it turns out to be a Germany leaves UK people stranded  in Cambodia thread.

And that's in no way true.

I've just sent the Ambassador of Germany an email to get some clarification.

I'm volunteering for an organisation that works closely with the German embassy in Krung Thep. 

How should they have known how many others are stranded? 

Edited by Isaanbiker

17 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

These are not regular flights. That's the flights the German government has booked to get their people back. If you had scolled won a bit you'd have seen this:

Mir ist bekannt, dass es sich um einen Flug im Rahmen des Rückholprogramms des Auswärtigen Amtes handelt, das vorrangig deutschen Staatsangehörigen und deren Familienangehörigen zur Verfügung steht. Mir ist bewusst, dass das Auswärtige Amt nach § 6 Konsulargesetz berechtigt ist, neben dem an Condor entrichteten Preis für das Flugticket im Nachgang eine Auslagenerstattung von mir zu fordern. 

In English: I am aware that this is a flight as part of the Federal Foreign Office's return program, which is primarily available to German citizens and their family members. I am aware that the Federal Foreign Office is entitled under Section 6 of the Consular Act to request a reimbursement of expenses in addition to the price paid to Condor for the flight ticket.

Do you really believe that you can get a Non stop flight from Bangkok to Frankfurt for 99 Euros???

Try it and see if you don't believe me. 

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Try it and see if you don't believe me. 

As he said already, it's mainly for german citizens but they let you board as long as there are free seats. It's organised by germany to get germans back, but they let all EU europeans take the free seats if available. The 99EUR is just for reservation but more will be charged later, eventually.

Read yourself, from your own embassy: 

https://twitter.com/UKinIndonesia/status/1244523507473453056?s=20

Many countries around the world have closed their borders to help combat coronavirus, often at short notice.

As a result, many Britons on holiday or travelling abroad for work have become stranded. The British government has made new plans to help bring these people back to the UK.

More..

Coronavirus repatriation: What should you do if you are stuck abroad?

13 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

As he said already, it's mainly for german citizens but they let you board as long as there are free seats. It's organised by germany to get germans back, but they let all EU europeans take the free seats if available. The 99EUR is just for reservation but more will be charged later, eventually.

Read yourself, from your own embassy: 

https://twitter.com/UKinIndonesia/status/1244523507473453056?s=20

Yes, primarily for Germans but the planes are running half empty as stated in the article. If you want to pour water on it feel free but for those that want to go back seats are there. 

Its just a pity our own embassy doesn't bother to tell anyone.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

What utter drivel you write. No where is it stated that Germany transported 100 Italians to Germany for treatment. The first report a couple of day's ago was that it was just 6 patients from Italy to Germany. However, it is unclear why those six patients from Italy were chosen for treatment in Germany. Then that number supposedly rose to 41, but there's been no substantial conformation of that figure. You try to fudge the number by including France, which if you bothered to read my entire comment, you will note that I said that "their power axis buddy, France" was the only country getting additional aid. As it stands, Germany hasn't transported that many dying Italians to its hospitals, despite your exaggerated figure. Considering that Italy currently has 3,981 patients in critical or severe condtions, those chosen few must be VIPs or something, otherwise they're very fortunate to be chosen out of the remaining 3,981 critical patients.

Again, the thrust of my original comment was against FarFlung's imbecilic remark about the UK not being part of Europe diatribe.  Do I have to remind the dolt that following the approval of the Withdrawal Agreement, the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and entered a transition period, but continues to contribute to the EU as if it were a member. That means the UK is still paying its lion's share of contributions into the EU's coffers, much more than any other member state. What is needed from the German government and its EU project is cooperation, not opposition. The half-empty flight from Cambodia is just another example of them being unhelpful and disobliging in a time of crisis. No wonder the UK wanted to out of this elitist and Globalist club.

Because italys south had free ICU beds before. However, as always for you nutters facts don't matter. Germany also supplied ventilator, test kits and masks to italy. 

Just 1 single italian in a german ICU is unlimited percent more than your government helped so far. Fact. 

The half-empty flight from Cambodia is just another example of them being unhelpful and disobliging in a time of crisis. No wonder the UK wanted to out of this elitist and Globalist club.

Exactly why no one likes you guys, arrogance till death. Just making random <deleted> up while you own government <deleted> it up for you.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50707557/german-repatriation-flight-from-phnom-penh-half-empty-uk-tourists-stranded-in-cambodia-unaware-of-its-existence/

Here's a video from a passenger on the second German repatriation flight that flew yesterday... It was open to other nationalities but we were not informed of it's existence.

I've been told this flight could take about 350 pax but only half the seats were filled. There was reportedly nobody in premium economy.

2 flights to repatriate German tourists in Cambodia that left from Phnom Penh yesterday have been described as “half empty” – with stranded UK tourists expressing anger that they were not informed of the flights – and the chance to get back home – by the UK Embassy.

But hey at least the brits stuck their blame their own embassy.

19 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

The half-empty flight from Cambodia is just another example of them being unhelpful and disobliging in a time of crisis. 

The empty seats were bookable by Brits its just that the UK embassy in Cambodia didn't let anyone know. Don't blame the Germans. its not their job to tell us individually. They told the UK government but obviously no one passed the information on in Cambodia to the people stranded there. Put the blame in the right place here.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

Firstly, the Mercedes F1 is based in Brackley, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom, using a German licence. It's not solely German ingenuity, as you so inaccurately put it. The engineers and technicians that have developed the new designs are not German but British. It helps if you write the full story rather than half of it.

That's why the one-size-fits-all EU project doesn't work and is unravelling before your very eyes.

What utter drivel you write. No where is it stated that Germany transported 100 Italians to Germany for treatment. The first report a couple of day's ago was that it was just 6 patients from Italy to Germany. However, it is unclear why those six patients from Italy were chosen for treatment in Germany. Then that number supposedly rose to 41, but there's been no substantial conformation of that figure. You try to fudge the number by including France, which if you bothered to read my entire comment, you will note that I said that "their power axis buddy, France" was the only country getting additional aid. As it stands, Germany hasn't transported that many dying Italians to its hospitals, despite your exaggerated figure. Considering that Italy currently has 3,981 patients in critical or severe condtions, those chosen few must be VIPs or something, otherwise they're very fortunate to be chosen out of the remaining 3,981 critical patients.

Again, the thrust of my original comment was against FarFlung's imbecilic remark about the UK not being part of Europe diatribe.  Do I have to remind the dolt that following the approval of the Withdrawal Agreement, the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and entered a transition period, but continues to contribute to the EU as if it were a member. That means the UK is still paying its lion's share of contributions into the EU's coffers, much more than any other member state. What is needed from the German government and its EU project is cooperation, not opposition. The half-empty flight from Cambodia is just another example of them being unhelpful and disobliging in a time of crisis. No wonder the UK wanted to out of this elitist and Globalist club.

They didn't know about any other stranded UK nationals, don't you get it?

Why did these "stranded UK nationals" not check the Internet?

They would have taken them if the stranded UK citizens had gotten in touch with the Germans.

The UK wanted to get out because they were paying the most into the European Union after Germany.

( Sorry, the Netherlands pay a lot too) 

And guess what?

I'd love to see Germany leaving the EU and let these muppets solve their problems, not with German tax payers' money.

If the UK doesn't belong to the EU anymore, they don't have to wonder when laws change, and they experience repercussions.

Edited by Isaanbiker

23 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

Yes, primarily for Germans but the planes are running half empty as stated in the article. If you want to pour water on it feel free but for those that want to go back seats are there. 

Its just a pity our own embassy doesn't bother to tell anyone.

Thank you. Instead of blaming their own government, they blame Germans for having left them stranded. And that's a big lie. 

Should the German embassy have gotten in touch with all the other European ones to inform them that there are flights out?

Edited by Isaanbiker

1 hour ago, Senior Player said:

No where is it stated that Germany transported 100 Italians to Germany for treatment. The first report a couple of day's ago was that it was just 6 patients from Italy to Germany. However, it is unclear why those six patients from Italy were chosen for treatment in Germany. Then that number supposedly rose to 41, but there's been no substantial conformation of that figure. You try to fudge the number by including France, which if you bothered to read my entire comment, you will note that I said that "their power axis buddy, France" was the only country getting additional aid. As it stands, Germany hasn't transported that many dying Italians to its hospitals, despite your exaggerated figure. Considering that Italy currently has 3,981 patients in critical or severe condtions, those chosen few must be VIPs or something, otherwise they're very fortunate to be chosen out of the remaining 3,981 critical patients.

Kindly stop posting fake news and misinformation. 

The Mercedes F1 team is 60% majority owned by Daimler AG from Germany.

Venture capitalist Toto Wolff owns 30% and Niki Lauda 10%.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/sports/formula-one/formula-1-toto-wolff-and-niki-lauda-renew-contracts/

The Mercedes F1 team is therefore a wholly German/Austrian owned company, with the CEO being an Austrian. The headquarters are both Stuttgart and Brackley. The English are only employees. That's like saying Apple is Indian owned because it has Indian call centre operators. You're just service personnel.

The UCL "engineers" are using technology that was developed by an Australian, Colin Sullivan, and CPAP is not even that good, it's second rate technology with many disadvantages, including damage to the lungs. Of course the British engineers can't manufacture their brilliant idea, except with German help.  

I'm not even going to dignify your comments about the 100 Italian and French patients Germany has taken with an answer, there's no need. Suffice to say that it is of course you, the UK, who is looking only after No.1, as usual. Germany is helping other nations. You are not.

We do not need your contribution to the EU. Soon you will pay in tariffs far more than you ever paid as a member anyway.

Silly nationalists like you will cost the UK very dearly. Just as we saw when the UK refused the EU offer of collective respirator bargaining and with the UK not co-operating with other EU nations who are flying Europeans out, long before the UK is able to.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

As I said before go to Condor. The flights are there. 99.99 Euros one way to Frankfurt from multiple destinations across the World including Phuket and Bangkok. You just have to get from Frankfurt to the UK and there are regular flights in place for this. That includes luggage ))) Anyone can book the seats.

And no, the Germans are not only looking out for themselves, The flights are open to all if they are not full. They are however doing a damn sight more than our own UK government.

The Condor flight are only available because of intervention of the German embassy.

The prices are only so low because they paid some good money to have the ability to take people out, Germans, UK citizens, Americans, they let all on the plane if there are seats available. 

Blaming Germany that they'd only think about themselves made my blood boil and it shows again how opinionated some UK folks are. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Kindly stop posting fake news and misinformation. 

The Mercedes F1 team is 60% majority owned by Daimler AG from Germany.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/sports/formula-one/formula-1-toto-wolff-and-niki-lauda-renew-contracts/

The Mercedes F1 team is therefore a wholly German/Austrian owned company, with the CEO being an Austrian. The headquarters are both Stuttgart and Brackley. The English are only employees. That's like saying Apple is Indian owned because it has Indian call centre operators. You're just service personnel.

The UCL "engineers" are using technology that was developed by an Australian, Colin Sullivan, and CPAP is not even that good, it's second rate technology with many disadvantages, including damage to the lungs. Of course the British engineers can't manufacture their brilliant idea, except with German help.  

I'm not even going to dignify your comments about the 100 Italian and French patients Germany has taken with an answer, there's no need. Suffice to say that it is of course you, the UK, who is looking only after No.1, as usual. Germany is helping other nations. You are not.

We do not need your contribution to the EU. Soon you will pay in tariffs far more than you ever paid as a member anyway.

Silly nationalists like you will cost the UK very dearly. Just as we saw when the UK refused the EU offer of collective respirator bargaining and with the UK not co-operating with other EU nations who are flying Europeans out, long before the UK is able to.

And you tell people to stop posting fake news and misinformation. 

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

40 devices delivered, yes that should go a long way.

'If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time. '

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nauseus said:

As far as I see these things will not be needed long-term by any single patient and any side effects are far preferable to lung collapse. Individual patients will certainly prefer this to a ventilator, if it is suitable for them. UCL did not invent the CPAP but I am happy that UCL has been able to reverse engineer existing models to suit the needs of this virus. Merecdes F1 and others will assist in this modified CPAP manufacture. CPAP has already been used in Italy and China but very few suitable units were available, apparently.  

No flights required. I have a private jet. But thanks all the same.

"CPAP Machines Were Seen As Ventilator Alternatives, But Could Spread COVID-19

Officials and scientists have known for years that when used with a face mask, such alternative devices can possibly increase the spread of infectious disease by aerosolizing the virus, whether used in the hospital or at home.

Indeed, that very scenario may have contributed to the spread of COVID-19 within a Washington state nursing home that became ground zero in the United States. First responders called to the Life Care Center of Kirkland starting Feb. 24 initially used positive airway pressure machines, often known as CPAPs, to treat residents before it was known the patients were infected with COVID-19.

But county public health authorities recommend that first responders avoid using CPAP machines altogether. Redmond Fire has now discontinued use of CPAPs for COVID patients.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/27/822211604/cpap-machines-were-seen-as-ventilator-alternatives-but-could-spread-covid-19

So, congratulations, the UCL people in the UK have basically invented a Covid19 distribution machine. 

Excellent stuff, keep up the good work, UK.

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Probably not, because long term use of CPAP leads to reduced lung capacity and it damages the lungs because it tends to over-inflate the lung. It has also been found that after prolonged use patients find it hard to breathe without CPAP. CPAP is most definitely second choice when it comes to artificial breathing. The use of this method only shows that the UK is desperately short of the real thing.

By the way, CPAP was invented by Australian Physician Colin Sullivan. UCL didn't invent anything but used an existing method, and then asked Mercedes F1 to build it for them. You do know who owns Mercedes F1, don't you? Anyway I'm glad we Germans are able to help you again in this time of need.

I wish you the best of luck. If you need to flight to Thailand don't forget to check Condor. 

Here we go, another medical expert........ ZZZZZZZZZ

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

"CPAP Machines Were Seen As Ventilator Alternatives, But Could Spread COVID-19

Officials and scientists have known for years that when used with a face mask, such alternative devices can possibly increase the spread of infectious disease by aerosolizing the virus, whether used in the hospital or at home.

Indeed, that very scenario may have contributed to the spread of COVID-19 within a Washington state nursing home that became ground zero in the United States. First responders called to the Life Care Center of Kirkland starting Feb. 24 initially used positive airway pressure machines, often known as CPAPs, to treat residents before it was known the patients were infected with COVID-19.

But county public health authorities recommend that first responders avoid using CPAP machines altogether. Redmond Fire has now discontinued use of CPAPs for COVID patients.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/27/822211604/cpap-machines-were-seen-as-ventilator-alternatives-but-could-spread-covid-19

So, congratulations, the UCL people in the UK have basically invented a Covid19 distribution machine. 

Excellent stuff, keep up the good work, UK.

About an hour ago you told us CPAP was a German-Austrian / Australian initiative.  Now you discover it's a bad initiative you suddenly decide the UK is to blame? 

Let me remind you what you said an hour ago: 

"The Mercedes F1 team is 60% majority owned by Daimler AG from Germany.

The UCL "engineers" are using technology that was developed by an Australian, Colin Sullivan"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

About an hour ago you told us CPAP was a German-Austrian / Australian initiative.  Now you discover it's a bad initiative you suddenly decide the UK is to blame? 

Let me remind you what you said an hour ago: 

"The Mercedes F1 team is 60% majority owned by Daimler AG from Germany.

The UCL "engineers" are using technology that was developed by an Australian, Colin Sullivan"

Sorry, but you're getting confused. I said CPAP was invented by an Australian. However to design a CPAP device for Covid 19 patients, when CPAP devices are known to spread Covid19 frankly seems a bit careless...

I simply corrected another poster who was unware that the Mercedes F1 team is wholly German/Austrian owned. Hey, we're just helping you to manufacture this, we didn't invent the Covid19 spreading machine, that were the UCL people in the UK.

"The key issue, Finigan said, is how the device connects to the patient. Ventilators require a breathing tube and operate as closed systems with a filter that traps any pathogens. Face masks generally used on CPAPs or BiPAPs allow air to escape, pumping the virus into the surroundings and potentially infecting other patients, caregivers or anyone nearby."

That the people in the UK who have to use the CPAPs will most likely infect anyone around them with Covid19 was also considered in this design?

Edited by Logosone

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Wrong statement, I'd say. 

Hell, no! If the German government would have known of them, they'd have taken them on board, believe me.

Now it turns out to be a Germany leaves UK people stranded  in Cambodia thread.

And that's in no way true.

I've just sent the Ambassador of Germany an email to get some clarification.

I'm volunteering for an organisation that works closely with the German embassy in Krung Thep. 

How should they have known how many others are stranded? 

I think you are totally wrong. What made you think you should have a seat in a German Government flight?

To contact the German Ambassador is a joke. 

Your contact is the UK Govt. 

So again with the wrong passport you have to queue until??? 

Good Luck. 

27 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Sorry, but you're getting confused. I said CPAP was invented by an Australian. However to design a CPAP device for Covid 19 patients, when CPAP devices are known to spread Covid19 frankly seems a bit careless...

I simply corrected another poster who was unware that the Mercedes F1 team is wholly German/Austrian owned. Hey, we're just helping you to manufacture this, we didn't invent the Covid19 spreading machine, that were the UCL people in the UK.

"The key issue, Finigan said, is how the device connects to the patient. Ventilators require a breathing tube and operate as closed systems with a filter that traps any pathogens. Face masks generally used on CPAPs or BiPAPs allow air to escape, pumping the virus into the surroundings and potentially infecting other patients, caregivers or anyone nearby."

That the people in the UK who have to use the CPAPs will most likely infect anyone around them with Covid19 was also considered in this design?

An Australian invented it, and the Germans are manufacturing it - that's what you said essentially. Was it invented by an Australian or the Brits? Make your mind up! 

On balance, given the massive global shortage of ventilators, the CPAPs are a necessary back-up to preserve lives in hospitals. With the correct protective equipment, NHS workers will face minimal risk from the CPAP 'exhaust'. I'm sure this minimal risk will have been taken into account.