German repatriation flight from Phnom Penh “half empty” – UK tourists stranded in Cambodia unaware of its existence

geovalin

I am registered at my embassy as staying in Thailand, and got this message yesterday. 

Travelers in Thailand and Cambodia are advised to return home by commercial scheduled flights as far as possible.

This week, they will set up some European repatriation flights to Europe from Bangkok, Phuket and Phnom Penh that Europe can request to be accommodated. There is a limited number of seats, and priority is given to passengers from the countries that have set up the repatriation shelter.

We note that it is the traveler himself who has to pay for the flight, and that you are responsible for moving on from your destination. The embassy has so far no information on the costs in this regard.

12 hours ago, britanicus said:

We are and want to be part of Europe, what we don't want to be part of is the tyrannical and anti democratic European Union, more like dis Union these days.

You guys screwed that one up quite good. Well done

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

An Australian invented it, and the Germans are manufacturing it - that's what you said essentially. Was it invented by an Australian or the Brits? Make your mind up! 

On balance, given the massive global shortage of ventilators, the CPAPs are a necessary back-up to preserve lives in hospitals. With the correct protective equipment, NHS workers will face minimal risk from the CPAP 'exhaust'. I'm sure this minimal risk will have been taken into account. 

Wow, you're blaming us now for your infernal Covid19 spreading machine?

It's a UCL design! UK all the way...the design that is...

Minimal risk from Covid19...I'm sure the nurses will love that...as long as it's minimal....

It's the face mask not the exhaust! You can't fix that, unless you intubate with a filter like with a ventilator...

My God, you invented a Covid19 dispersion machine....Smh

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/27/822211604/cpap-machines-were-seen-as-ventilator-alternatives-but-could-spread-covid-19

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

"CPAP Machines Were Seen As Ventilator Alternatives, But Could Spread COVID-19

Officials and scientists have known for years that when used with a face mask, such alternative devices can possibly increase the spread of infectious disease by aerosolizing the virus, whether used in the hospital or at home.

Indeed, that very scenario may have contributed to the spread of COVID-19 within a Washington state nursing home that became ground zero in the United States. First responders called to the Life Care Center of Kirkland starting Feb. 24 initially used positive airway pressure machines, often known as CPAPs, to treat residents before it was known the patients were infected with COVID-19.

But county public health authorities recommend that first responders avoid using CPAP machines altogether. Redmond Fire has now discontinued use of CPAPs for COVID patients.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/27/822211604/cpap-machines-were-seen-as-ventilator-alternatives-but-could-spread-covid-19

So, congratulations, the UCL people in the UK have basically invented a Covid19 distribution machine. 

Excellent stuff, keep up the good work, UK.

The idiocy continues....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Sorry, but you're getting confused. I said CPAP was invented by an Australian. However to design a CPAP device for Covid 19 patients, when CPAP devices are known to spread Covid19 frankly seems a bit careless...

I simply corrected another poster who was unware that the Mercedes F1 team is wholly German/Austrian owned. Hey, we're just helping you to manufacture this, we didn't invent the Covid19 spreading machine, that were the UCL people in the UK.

"The key issue, Finigan said, is how the device connects to the patient. Ventilators require a breathing tube and operate as closed systems with a filter that traps any pathogens. Face masks generally used on CPAPs or BiPAPs allow air to escape, pumping the virus into the surroundings and potentially infecting other patients, caregivers or anyone nearby."

That the people in the UK who have to use the CPAPs will most likely infect anyone around them with Covid19 was also considered in this design?

The only mention of who invented CPAP came from you.

Who was unaware that the Mercedes F1 team is wholly German/Austrian? Who cares who owns it? Oh, I know!

The new CPAP relies on a fully sealed, full-face mask that does not allow droplet exhaust. It is a new design. Get over it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Wow, you're blaming us now for your infernal Covid19 spreading machine?

It's a UCL design! UK all the way...the design that is...

Minimal risk from Covid19...I'm sure the nurses will love that...as long as it's minimal....

It's the face mask not the exhaust! You can't fix that, unless you intubate with a filter like with a ventilator...

My God, you invented a Covid19 dispersion machine....Smh

As I understand it, the team disassembled and analysed an already patented device, and through computer simulations were able to design a mass production version. 

And of course the minimal risk is with the exhaust. The droplets exhaled (exhaust) go into the air. 

It was you who claimed the Brits had nothing to do with this initiative, with an Australian inventor and a German manufacturer. You only changed your tune when you discovered an American report that poured scorn on CPAP for Covid 19. Now you decide this IS a British invention and product. 

If you want to twist everything to fit your anti-UK agenda, that's up to you. But don't then deny it!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

As I understand it, the team disassembled and analysed an already patented device, and through computer simulations were able to design a mass production version. 

And of course the minimal risk is with the exhaust. The droplets exhaled (exhaust) go into the air. 

It was you who claimed the Brits had nothing to do with this initiative, with an Australian inventor and a German manufacturer. You only changed your tune when you discovered an American report that poured scorn on CPAP for Covid 19. Now you decide this IS a British invention and product. 

If you want to twist everything to fit your anti-UK agenda, that's up to you. But don't then deny it!  

You guys sound extremely desperate. 

Here you have a free version, 3d printed adapter made from a decathlon snorkling mask: https://www.designboom.com/design/engineers-hack-scuba-masks-to-use-as-ventilators-03-26-2020/

Can safe you some time up there. 

Decathlon, french company, nice as they are even provided the STL files for their snorkeling masks to the open source community. Good french people. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You guys sound extremely desperate. 

Here you have a free version, 3d printed adapter made from a decathlon snorkling mask: https://www.designboom.com/design/engineers-hack-scuba-masks-to-use-as-ventilators-03-26-2020/

Can safe you some time up there. 

Decathlon, french company, nice as they are even provided the STL files for their snorkeling masks to the open source community. Good french people. 

Great. One of the few positives coming out of this crisis is the innovation and adaptability from companies around the world. 

We don't need this to be a competition between countries (as a certain poster wants it to be). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

I think you are totally wrong. What made you think you should have a seat in a German Government flight?

To contact the German Ambassador is a joke. 

Your contact is the UK Govt. 

So again with the wrong passport you have to queue until??? 

Good Luck. 

I volunteer for a German organization that helps Germans in emergencies.

The German embassy is working with us, no matter what's happening.

Why would I, as a German, contact the UK government?

Where's the joke here?

I've received an answer to my questions from the German Ambassador a few hours ago.

Germans have priority, but they do take anybody from an EU country on board of these Condor flights, and they'll expand them.

I was only trying to be helpful to the guys who were left stranded.  

It's new to me that I've got the wrong passport. 

Can you please elaborate on this one?  

20 hours ago, donnacha said:

When I see these news stories, with photos and videos of angry littles faces, so furious that their government is not doing enough to rescue them, I am just astonished at the brass neck of these people.

March is now ending. We have known since January that this problem was serious, at least serious enough to keep a close eye on. We then spent February watching country after country instituting travel restrictions, and airlines starting to cut routes.

It was clear which way thing were going by the end of February. The penny dropped for me in the wee hours of the morning on the 21st of February. I had arrived in Manila, just a couple of days before and was really looking forward to the spending the next few months in the Philippines. I suddenly understood that we had reached a point at which things were only to get more difficult, expensive, and dangerous for any Westerner caught in Asia. I considered returning to Thailand but saw that, while it might initially be safer, the sudden collapse of their tourist industry was going to cause massive ripples. What was going to happen was unprecedented, there was no way to predict how matters might develop. I could also get badly trapped between visa idiocy and no travel options.

Sitting there in my hotel room, at 3 or 4 in the morning, it was very clear that, for the first time in over two decades, I would have to make an unplanned return to the relative safety of Ireland. I was gutted to leave, and realized I might not be able to return for a very long time, but knew it was the only choice. I paid Emirates $670 for a one way ticket to Dublin, flying out that night. Then I slept for eight hours, did some shopping, had a nice meal, packed my stuff, checked out at 9PM, and caught a taxi to the airport.

20 hours later I was in Dublin Airport. I collected my suitcase and headed towards the exit. A uniformed lady stopped me. Ah, I thought, here at last is some sort of check to make sure infected travelers aren't wandering into the country. Don't worry, I said. I'm not coming from China, just the Philippines. She looked confused. Oh, she said, that. No, I just want to check if you're bringing cigarettes into the country.

During the layover in Dubai, I got chatting with some English tourists heading in the other direction to enjoy a few months in S.E. Asia. They told me it was a last minute decision, made mainly because they received a terrific deal on a resort hotel and the flights had been unusually cheap too. They planned to travel around for at least a couple of months. I was able to confirm that, yes, they would definitely be able to find hotels at unusually good prices, especially in Vietnam where I had spent a month immediately before Manila. I did ask if they were aware of the Corona virus. They were aware of it but were confident it wouldn't be a problem and, they were so excited, I did not have the heart to reveal my own conclusion.

That was February 22nd. I hope they had a few good weeks but, then, by St. Patrick's Day, mid-March, the good sense to get their posteriors onto a plane home. I reckon they almost certainly did. These idiots in the article, trapped in Phnom Penh by their own stupidity, and all the other idiots trapped in places they should have left weeks ago, represent only the most irresponsible, delusional of travelers. As I see them tut, and complain bitterly about how "that idiot Boris" isn't helping them, and how all this "just isn't good enough", I find myself thinking "Som nom na".

????

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Did we, you have a.... ball.gif.1f4f946b4529a106067a6b096697d89c.gif.... then.....Where did you get it, I want one..............?    ????

It was a jok, nobody knows what future will bring, but going back to old days, and seperate common interest for europe, is maybe a step in wrong direction. A strong united Europe is what we need. It have been 70 great year for most of us, and sorry to learn Uk feel so F over by the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

It was a jok, nobody knows what future will bring, but going back to old days, and seperate common interest for europe, is maybe a step in wrong direction. A strong united Europe is what we need. It have been 70 great year for most of us, and sorry to learn Uk feel so F over by the rest. 

At this very moment we have a worldwide pandemic, Europe (EU) has been hit hard, now tell me, is the EU "united" to fix this very big problem, you know, helping member countries dilemma, I don't fink so, they are all on their own, same as the UK.........????

11 hours ago, Logosone said:

Yes, that's true, but I'm not sure this UCL invention is so revolutionary looking at the prototype:

scuba mask.jpg

If it's no good I know the best place to dispose of it. 

18 minutes ago, transam said:

At this very moment we have a worldwide pandemic, Europe (EU) has been hit hard, now tell me, is the EU "united" to fix this very big problem, you know, helping member countries dilemma, I don't fink so, they are all on their own, same as the UK.........????

At least we are not shooting at each other, or invading each other yet! Maybe soon we will need to put the Viking helmet on, but there is no more beautiful women left on that island, so why bother? 

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

At least we are not shooting at each other, or invading each other yet! Maybe soon we will need to put the Viking helmet on, but there is no more beautiful women left on that island, so why bother? 

What Island..?

On 3/31/2020 at 4:40 AM, robblok said:

That is for sure but given the strife i see on Thaivisa between Germans and people from the UK im not sure it would have been a good thing. Though in times like this differences are often set aside.

Reading continental newspapers you will find that the rift is widening between Germany and other EU countries. Germans just too often "are superior" to others.