Money issue for visa renewal

Is your "Non O for retirement" (more accurately your permission to stay) the initial 90 days you received when entering Thailand using a Non O visa; or is it already an extended permission to stay, with you having received a one-year extension last year? This is highly relevant as the rules for this year's extension are different depending on whether or not it is your first extension.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks so much folks!

I am on my sixth year here. I had a money issue a year ago (maybe due to my misunderstanding?) and I did a Mae Sai border crossing and immediately back, and then got my new visa after that.

Am I good to go with 2 months? My account never went below B500,000

42 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Yes you are as long as it did go below 800k baht for 3 months after you applied for your extension last year.

14 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Do I have to get the bank to show my bank book for the entire year?

Some offices are wanting a one year bank statement from the bank.

Unless you updated your bank book every month it would not likely show the entire year.

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

(4) At least 2 months prior to filing date and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have fund deposit in a Thai bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can then withdraw the fund 3 month after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,000.

Order35-2561 change 327-2557 (2019) Eng.pdf

Did your balance remain at or above 800K for 3 months following last years extension?

16 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Do I have to get the bank to show my bank book for the entire year?

They may request a 12 month bank statement which will have to be order at your local branch.

Your passbook should be updated and copies of every page for the previous year supplied.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have already had the money in the bank for the required 2 months (changed from 3 months last year). You could  apply for your extension today.

Do you have a link to this latest order changing the requirements for keeping 400000 in a Thai Bank for only 2 month on consecutive Non-O extensions based on Thai Wife?
I'm sure its here somewhere but I cant find it, and I would like to show it to my Visa Agent who is insisting it is still 3 Month.

am i reading this right, for a retirement extension we don't now need to keep 400K in the bank all year, we can spend down the 800K then once the extension runs out, go get a new non-o and start all over again?

sounds too good to be true! they can't actually allow this repeatedly? 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

am i reading this right, for a retirement extension we don't now need to keep 400K in the bank all year, we can spend down the 800K then once the extension runs out, go get a new non-o and start all over again?

The problem is that theoretically the moment your balance falls under 400k your extension is void.

I think usually nobody will check this, but if you run into the wrong IO...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rastaputin said:

Do you have a link to this latest order changing the requirements for keeping 400000 in a Thai Bank for only 2 month on consecutive Non-O extensions based on Thai Wife?

It has been 2 months for over a decade for extensions based upon marriage.

Maybe this page on the immigration website will be enough. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

Your certainly reading it wrong.

The financial requirements for extensions based on retirement or marriage are totally different.

For retirement, the funds requirement (800K) for 2020 is to have maintained 800k for 3 months from your previous extension in a Thai bank, then 400K for the remaining period up to 2 months prior to your 2020 application date,  when the balance must be topped up to 800K again.

Effectively 5 months @ 800K, 7 months @ 400K.

For marriage, the funds requirement is 400K for 2 months prior to the date of application.

It's recommend to maintain that balance whilst your application is under consideration.

Once the extension is granted there is no requirement to keep any funds in a Thai bank until 2 months before submitting a new application.

Effectively 3 months @ 400K, 9 months no financial requirement.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Some offices are wanting a one year bank statement from the bank.

Unless you updated your bank book every month it would not likely show the entire year.

On my NON-O extension renewal at CW BKK last week, they wanted the full 12 month statement, bank letter and full copy of bankbook. The IO checked the 3/2 months balances very carefully drawing lines with ruler to check the balances withing the date periods.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

Yes you can do this. I have had to do this, with my Thai wife extension, out of necessity two times because I was traveling outside of the kingdom for work at the time of my renewal. It is a big pain in the ass however, as you have to get your 90 day Non-O again, which requires you to then leave the Kingdom and return again, to then finalize the one year in the specified time frames. If you simply keep 400,000 in after 3 months and top up back to 800,000 2 months prior you can simply do an extension renewal that does not require you to leave the kingdom. 

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Is your "Non O for retirement" (more accurately your permission to stay) the initial 90 days you received when entering Thailand using a Non O visa; or is it already an extended permission to stay, with you having received a one-year extension last year? This is highly relevant as the rules for this year's extension are different depending on whether or not it is your first extension.

@BritTimis fully correct.

In the first case OP only needs to show 2 months of seasoned and foreign origin proven 800K on his thai bank-account to apply for his first 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

In the second case when he already received a 1-year extension last year, when applying this year he would need to prove he maintained at least 400K during the full year on his thai bank-account, and 800K during the first 3 and last 2 months of that preceding year.

27 minutes ago, mauroest said:

my European wife is under 50 and has no income. Does she also must have 800k in the bank or  my money are enough?

Your wife can get an extension based upon your extension of stay based upon retirement for being your spouse without any financial proof.

She will need a single entry non-o visa to apply for it. Your marriage certificate will need to be legalized by your embassy or a authority in the country where it was issued.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife can get an extension based upon your extension of stay based upon retirement for being your spouse without any financial proof.

She will need a single entry non-o visa to apply for it. Your marriage certificate will need to be legalized by your embassy or a authority in the country where it was issued.

Hi @ubonjoe

Does this mean that his wife first needs to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa including meeting the financial requirements.

And then in the last month of that 90-day Visa when applying for the 1-year extension doing this for reason of being married to a Non Imm O -retirement Visa holder?

37 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Does this mean that his wife first needs to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa including meeting the financial requirements.

No it does not. I means getting a non-o visa from an embassy or consulate.

Also she would not be able to that since she is under 50.

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

And then in the last month of that 90-day Visa when applying for the 1-year extension doing this for reason of being married to a Non Imm O -retirement Visa holder?

She would apply for extension of stay based upon being his spouse on the same day he applies for an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa extension). If not able to do it at the same time it could also be done later but it would only be issued to the date his extension ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it does not. I means getting a non-o visa from an embassy or consulate.

Also she would not be able to that since she is under 50.

She would apply for extension of stay based upon being his spouse on the same day he applies for an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa extension). If not able to do it at the same time it could also be done later but it would only be issued to the date his extension ends.

Thanks UJ for clarification.

> But from your response I conclude that the only way for his wife (being under 50) to long-stay in Thailand is via the EliteVisa.

If she is on the brink of becoming 50, she could of course 'bridge the period' by staying in Thailand on TouristVisa and VisaExempt (but obviously after 6 months of doing so, chances are she might get refused on entry).

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

> But from your response I conclude that the only way for his wife (being under 50) to long-stay in Thailand is via the EliteVisa.

If she is on the brink of becoming 50, she could of course 'bridge the period' by staying in Thailand on TouristVisa and VisaExempt (but obviously after 6 months of doing so, chances are she might get refused on entry).

While it is academic right now, because there is no way to travel to a consulate to get the visa, there is no need to be over 50. His wife could apply for the Non O on the basis of her husband's one-year extension of stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BritTim said:

His wife could apply for the Non O on the basis of her husband's one-year extension of stay.

The problem now is getting the non-o visa since it can only be applied for at an embassy or consulate. Immigration does not issue a non immigrant visa (category O) for family members of a person on an extension of stay based upon retirement. 

You would think immigration would be a little flexible now since it is not possible to enter the country after leaving to get a non-o visa at this time.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Under normal conditions she could get the non-o visa based only upon him having a non-o visa based upon retirement at a nearby embassy or consulate or after getting the extension.

She does qualify for the extension even being under 50 but the problem at this time is getting the non-o.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1