Foreigner helps support Thai Family

JohnFlory

"I just thought I'd post a positive contribution to Thailand by a foreigner, ie me."

Great way to pat yourself on the back. Keep it up and you'll have a looooong list of 'extended' family members turning up.

My stepson and my wife's grandma are here. No more.

• Thanks 1

What does your name and anyone being able to read English have to do with it? I think we all contribute to Thai society by spending our money here and frequenting their businesses.

Oh no! Do you know who I am? OMG!! I must change my ID stat!   ????

Word gets around quickly in this place White Knight.  These folks will love you until the funds dry up, then they'll move along. You might even get a 'thanks'.

Edited by dayward1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

What does your name and anyone being able to read English have to do with it? I think we all contribute to Thai society by spending our money here and frequenting their businesses.

Oh no! Do you know who I am? OMG!! I must change my ID stat!   ????

OK...not sure what you're going on about. I never said anything about people not contributing.

it's all about wives and sweethearts.

wives will always be taken care of,  but not forget the sweethearts.

Today I have had a distress call from my regular caddy. Single mum, three children. golf course closed, no work, no money.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Somebody who thinks he knows everything about Thai people: But doesn't.

I don't know if that is directed to me, but I certainly don't know everything about Thai people nor did I ever claim to.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

it's all about wives and sweethearts.

wives will always be taken care of,  but not forget the sweethearts.

Today I have had a distress call from my regular caddy. Single mum, three children. golf course closed, no work, no money.

Did you get a hole in one?Sorry couldn't resist you left that door wide open.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Oh dear watching this is facinating .

I think those of us who employ Thai staff will keep paying them and have over a period of time contributed to loyal people enabling children to gain an education health care etc. It is what you do if in a position to contribute to community.

The old addage is "it takes a village to>>>>>>>>" (add someting positive)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never did it and never will do it. Everyone has the chance to chose the "right" gf at the beginning ???? I respect everyone who has a different opinion, but seeing how some Thai friends treat there "teerak" abroad is just a pure shame.

In one case, a friend of a friend got what she wanted. Asked her UK bf after 2 yrs of relationship to pay her everything to set up a business. Guess what...all the promises "i will marry you, move with you to UK " blabla...forgotten. She lives now with her family in her hometown in Isaan again, the business works well for them, she never returned back to UK, but funnily is still in a relationship with that guy (twice per year 2 weeks holidays in LOS and he brings her tons off gifts (which are then shown of on FB/IG to see how deep and unique their love is lol) )

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh dear watching this is facinating .

I think those of us who employ Thai staff will keep paying them and have over a period of time contributed to loyal people enabling children to gain an education health care etc. It is what you do if in a position to contribute to community.

The old addage is "it takes a village to>>>>>>>>" (add someting positive)

Ditto

2 hours ago, dayward1 said:

"I just thought I'd post a positive contribution to Thailand by a foreigner, ie me."

Great way to pat yourself on the back. Keep it up and you'll have a looooong list of 'extended' family members turning up.

My stepson and my wife's grandma are here. No more.

At least this is more acceptable than the ugly bashings given out to others, just to feel oneself to be a saint.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, JohnFlory said:

OK...not sure what you're going on about. I never said anything about people not contributing.

I have done the same... adopted and raised as my own, a niece... helped other nieces and nephews w/education costs, bought farmland and let the family use and prosper.. my family can distinguish between loans and gifts and does pay back... they amazingly function as a unit... 

and for me, it has been wonderful.

Only on TVF will people find this a negative. 

• Like 2

Helping/contribuing ovasaionaly for essentials...why not...but when guys are already paying their gf/wife a monthly "salary" and then are asked/expected to pay more for other stuff is a total pee take..what happened to all that money over the years and also in most relationship s Tirak will have other family members that should be capable of "taking care"....not to mention the brother with a new pick up and sisters with latest I phones. Up to the individual but really guys should have more respect for themselves than being taken advantage of, because that's exactly what it is.