Foreigner helps support Thai Family

JohnFlory

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

sorry for you, that is your question, not mine... I don't share because I want them to like me or hope they will... I quite consciously have shared because I LIKE THEM and want to make their life better... and yes, for most of us who help the family, it usually starts with our wife who feels a duty and caring for her family... I am fortunate that my wife has a wonderful family... 

I have heard it said... 

"A Thai lady cannot be happy drinking out of fine crystal while her mother drinks from a coconut shell." 

The truth is that sharing makes me feel better too... which is usually the case with most giving.. people give to large charities and share with total strangers... why do I have to take <deleted> here for sharing with people that i see and interact with every day?

My mother loves me and she never asks me for money.

My previous and current wife never asked me for money. 

For most people who get together the last thing on their mind is to be supported and paid by someone else.

If sharing makes you feel better you could give all your wealth to truly less privileged, but you choose to give it to someone who is not even your family. And the only reason you do this is because you receive something in return.

It's a transaction. We understand. 

52 minutes ago, Pravda said:

but you choose to give it to someone who is not even your family. And the only reason you do this is because you receive something in return.

They are my wife's family and are as close to me as my biological family... what I receive in return is that I feel good for having helped wonderful people who were extremely poor before I arrived... 

why do you assume that they asked me for money? I never said that.. and I actually do give money to other poor people who are in need... do you?

why do you feel a need to attack people who surely have more than you do and choose to share their good fortune with their family... do you find generosity to be a character flaw or is it that it makes you look bad for not being able to help others around you?  

If you hit the lottery, would you not share 10% with your wife? I think you would.. 

ps - glad your mommy loves you... and I don't care how you spend your money, why is it so important to you how I spend mine?

Edited by kenk24

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

No. Because on the great scheme of things Thais probably only account for 0.000001% of the UK's GDP (or anywhere else in the west for that matter).

We account for anywhere between 6 and 20% of yours.

Big difference. 

Ok, so how about Arab, Indian and Pakistani?

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

When will a Thai person buy my mum/dad/sister/brother a house and put all their illegitimate kids through school ? Answers on a postcard .... 

Sometimes

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Ok, so how about Arab, Indian and Pakistani?

They wont be coming back either!

you will see just how much your country needs foreigners when Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai & Pattaya all close down due to lack of tourists and millions are out of work.

Edited by Liverpoolfan

I'm the ATM. I accept that, and don't worry about it because it is within my means. My GF and her family also accept they are there to help me when it's needed, as they have proved several times.

I'd much rather be here than in some aged-care establishment in Australia, where in return for an arm and a leg for entry, the management experiments with how much dog food they can get away with feeding their clientele.

I don't feel any altruism in helping my Thai family. It's a transaction, win-win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

For most people who get together the last thing on their mind is to be supported and paid by someone else.

Are you serious? The lo-so class of female in Thailand all dream of a farang who will take care of them. Beats the hell out of a Thai male who gets drunk, gambles, beats them and does a runner in the event they get pregnant. In my GF's village, her single female friends all ask me if I can find a good heart farang for them.

In Western countries, most women want a provider. And if it goes belly up, they know they'll get a minimum of 50% of the assets.

Most ridiculous post I've seen on TV for some time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

The thing is, many people before you have been stung, so statistics are against you.

I would never advocate giving more than you can afford... and have said so many times... I don't advocate loans or any expectations tied to any money given.. and that includes to farang... my experience is that Thai are far more likely to pay me back...

the most infamous con men in the world excelled in their criminality because of their art of persuasion.  Add sex to that,

yeah, never really had a quirk that I wanted sex with con men... but thanks anyway... 

the finances are only flowing in one direction down the street

well, I don't track traffic but I don't need money from them... it is rare I need help with anything, but, as I have gotten older, they have been willing in a moment to do whatever I have needed without a word from me... 

And yes, I have been here long enough that I have seen silly guys taken by bargirls 20 years younger... and I understand that many posters here know nothing of Thai culture, language and people and go to Pattaya where the job of the ladies is to get everything they can out of the customers and then these customers post on forums like this as if these girls are representative of the entire culture... 

It is pretty sad here that I get attacked for helping out my family.. one idiot seemed to imply they weren't even my family??

My main advice to newbies here is to not burn your bridges back home, and don't give what you can't afford to lose. 

I agree. But I am not a newbie here... I have been married for 20 years and have a terrific family and it makes me feel good to help them along in their lives... I get as much credit from them for my devotion to raising a niece since she was 1 yr old and not well... 

And most of my friends have similar good relations w/Thai families..

good luck to you too..

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In my GF's village, her single female friends all ask me if I can find a good heart farang for them.

In Western countries, most women want a provider.

Absolutely... even in the Western World most parents would prefer their daughter marry a doctor then a penniless poet tattooed biker w/no gainful employ... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

If a shop cashier ever gives me those funny little coins that are under 1 bath I toss em in the begging box thats on the counter.

You should save them to make merit at the temples.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:58 PM, phutoie2 said:

it's all about wives and sweethearts.

wives will always be taken care of,  but not forget the sweethearts.

Today I have had a distress call from my regular caddy. Single mum, three children. golf course closed, no work, no money.

Caddy? I hate golf. 

48 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

If a shop cashier ever gives me those funny little coins that are under 1 bath I toss em in the begging box thats on the counter.

Sample them, once you've got a million of them do it as the Thais do. Throw them on the counter at a 7 Eleven and let the others wait. 

9 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Sample them, once you've got a million of them do it as the Thais do. Throw them on the counter at a 7 Eleven and let the others wait. 

No thanks, Only time I do coins is to pay the waterman when he delivers my 18lt water bottles on Sunday and I sure as <deleted> aint standing in the sun whilst counts out 120b worth of those worthless little coins.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

It is pretty sad here that I get attacked for helping out my family.. one idiot seemed to imply they weren't even my family??

I'm certainly not attacking you. 

The issue of "family" is interesting.  I know of several cases where guys, either lovingly, or through manipulation, over time, moved all their money to Thailand, to the benefit of their "new Thai family."  When they have passed, their children back in their home country were left with nothing.  Now, I don't know if that good, or bad, or right, or wrong.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

yeah, never really had a quirk that I wanted sex with con men..

I am sure you got the mean behind my comment. 

Basically, it's the people you thought would never screw you over, have been screwing you over for years.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

I understand that many posters here know nothing of Thai culture, language and people

Every poster's experience of Thailand, Thai culture, and Thai people is unique.  I don't profess to know everything, and feel I am always learning here, but yes, you occasionally come across those that think Pattaya is Thailand, and they have never been anywhere else in Thailand, or the region, for that matter.

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I am sure you got the mean behind my comment

yes, I was just joking with you... I have been a businessman for many years... it doesn't take long to figure out a con... 

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

moved all their money to Thailand, to the benefit of their "new Thai family." 

sounds like that had to be a conscious act... most of my money is accessible by me only... and yes, I have seen friends who were not at a point in life where they should lose their life savings, lose it... but, they recently lost through their own actions... and both will tell you that it was their own stupidity... you sound like a bright fellow and it will not likely happen to you.... and it wasn't you so much as others here who assume every Thai lady and their family are the enemy... it is no wonder they have strained relations. 

Edited by kenk24

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I hate chilli and it is banned from my house.

Learn to love it, or try wasabi. Great defence against any beasties in food. Thailand would be awash with gastroenteritis without chili.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Chilli, but I hear Wasabi is even worse so it goes into the rancid bag as well, along with curry.

Wasabi actually crisps the nose hairs as it infiltrates the nasal tract from the mouth. Together with salmon sushi, one of the great food pleasures in life, along with a good mussuman curry. Are you throwing up yet?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Wasabi actually crisps the nose hairs as it infiltrates the nasal tract from the mouth. Together with salmon sushi, one of the great food pleasures in life, along with a good mussuman curry. Are you throwing up yet?

No not throwing up, but if a person tries to bring it into my house they will be thrown out.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

No not throwing up, but if a person tries to bring it into my house they will be thrown out.

I assume you'll be applying a nose peg while that is happening.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm the ATM. I accept that, and don't worry about it because it is within my means. My GF and her family also accept they are there to help me when it's needed, as they have proved several times.

I'd much rather be here than in some aged-care establishment in Australia, where in return for an arm and a leg for entry, the management experiments with how much dog food they can get away with feeding their clientele.

I don't feel any altruism in helping my Thai family. It's a transaction, win-win.

Real honesty that shouldn’t be knocked .