If there was a Lockdown.......

ianezy0

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Back on topic.....what is the likelihood of a full lockdown?

Thanks brewster for bringing this back on topic. Where I am living they are introducing a curfew from 20:00, with checkpoints running during the day as well. It would not take much to extend that.

As the OP stated: He is "concerned, living in Thailand through this period of uncertainty"  It is unfortunately probably too late to prepare for these uncertain times, but maybe when this all blows over people will have a slightly different attitude to being prepared.  

The OP asks "Will there be a rise in crime"?  When money is short, it is inevitable. Too often I have seen comments on this forum like "I have never locked my door in 30 years - never had a problem"

From US Department of Homeland Security - Federal Emergency Management Agency:

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready/areyouready_full.pdf

This is what the checkpoints look like now - not very intimidating, but that can change.

I agree with most of what is being said here ,, but one thing will save thailands tourism ,, the sex industry in the medium term  as men are libidinous risk takers  and will be prepared to come for cheap pussy and fun  ,, so it will go back  to the old days in the bars   but cheaper than now as there will be oversupply of  desperate women for the sex tourism ,, but the family type tourism will not be the same .  may be a rest to the way it was in mid 90s  for a while anyway

Edited by liddelljohn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I agree with most of what is being said here ,, but one thing will save thailands tourism ,, the sex industry in the medium term  as men are libidinous risk takers  and will be prepared to come for cheap pussy and fun  ,, so it will go back  to the old days in the bars   but cheaper than now as there will be oversupply of  desperate women for the sex tourism ,, but the family type tourism will not be the same .  may be a rest to the way it was in mid 90s  for a while anyway

Dream on

Most probably they will need a Covid-free certificate AND medical insurance.

Even if the outbreak is over by ..say..September, it will take a full year for tourism to rebound.

Keep in mind also that we are entering a Recession (or Depression) worldwide.

I already regretted that '1 year' prediction ????

12 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

We re just a third into the year NOT the decade....is it my toke next?!?!

I've actually had a pretty good first 3 months ....... 

As for the lock down, I've another months booze in the kitchen so no problems there.

So far plenty of sex, booze and weed ...... if the next 9 years and 9 months are as good, I'll be a happy bunny.

Although as an old person, I'd probably just settle for surviving that long.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

Dream on

Most probably they will need a Covid-free certificate AND medical insurance.

Even if the outbreak is over by ..say..September, it will take a full year for tourism to rebound.

Keep in mind also that we are entering a Recession (or Depression) worldwide.

I already regretted that '1 year' prediction ????

Not at all.

Even in the time of AIDS women and men were engaging in one night stands. The Libido is more powerful than Thanatos and always has been.

But yes, tourism will take a year to recover, like with the tsunami.

23 minutes ago, Salerno said:

To the tune of "If I was a rich man"?

Just for the record, the title and lyrics of that song in the musical "Fiddler on the roof" used the text "If I were a rich man"

Now, who is going to write the lyrics for "If there were a lockdown" to go with that tune?

19 hours ago, johng said:
21 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

what do they do to motorbikes?

The chase and bite the riders legs and/or run out in front of the rider causing them to crash! 

A picture paints a thousand words... 

IMG_20200402_084310.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losworld said:

The time to act in slowing this was many months ago but instead the rolled out the red carpet for the Wuhan tourists.

A typical comment from a one track mind. Many Thais are of Chinese descent and every time there is a holiday thousands of Chinese come to Thailand to visit relatives, not tourists. I can understand that to the simple mind that anyone coming on a cheap tourist package must be a tourist. Do you really think the Thais were going to stop their relatives coming on the back of an unknown, with the new year in Jan many would have already been here or on their way.

We are now in the Quing Ming period and normally there would have been a huge influx to pay their respects to the deceased but this year the temples and graveyards are deserted.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

A typical comment from a one track mind. Many Thais are of Chinese descent and every time there is a holiday thousands of Chinese come to Thailand to visit relatives, not tourists. I can understand that to the simple mind that anyone coming on a cheap tourist package must be a tourist. Do you really think the Thais were going to stop their relatives coming on the back of an unknown, with the new year in Jan many would have already been here or on their way.

We are now in the Quing Ming period and normally there would have been a huge influx to pay their respects to the deceased but this year the temples and graveyards are deserted.

The Thai Chinese families here are third or fourth generation already. The mass influx of recent Chinese tourists have no relation to them at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The Thai Chinese families here are third or fourth generation already. The mass influx of recent Chinese tourists have no relation to them at all. 

You must be really missing the bar stool.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You must be really missing the bar stool.

Guilty as charged - like many other people here I would love to pop out and have a beer right now. 

Not the point however. Your post is full of clueless drivel with no factual grounding at all. The Thai Chinese families here were mostly settled a century ago, and by the 1970s, 90% of them had renounced their Chinese nationality. They don't speak Chinese and have zero in common with the Chinese tourists who are visiting - not even ethnicity, - which in the past few generations has been mixed and integrated with the local population. I guess you think the Indian tourists who were arriving in droves until recently were here to visit the Thai Indian families who settled here a century ago too... 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

China doesn't give anyone the choice.

You're Chinese nationality or you're not.

Even though they were entitled to dual citizenship, the Thai born Chinese mostly renounced their Chinese citizenship and took Thai instead. 

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Guilty as charged - like many other people here I would love to pop out and have a beer right now. 

Not the point however. Your post is full of clueless drivel with no factual grounding at all. The Thai Chinese families here were mostly settled a century ago, and by the 1970s, 90% of them had renounced their Chinese nationality. They don't speak Chinese and have zero in common with the Chinese tourists who are visiting - not even ethnicity, - which in the past few generations has been mixed and integrated with the local population. I guess you think the Indian tourists who were arriving in droves until recently were here to visit the Thai Indian families who settled here a century ago too... 

You really think that thousands of Chinese "tourists" come to Thailand to attend graves, those that have never seen a Chinese graveyard, far less at Quing Ming, fail to understand. In common with many, what you are unaware of just does not happen.

As far as you are concerned, being part of a 1st,2nd and 3rd generation Thai-Chinese family equates to "clueless drivel with no factual grounding at all", but you are free to carry on thinking you know it all.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, lamyai3 said:

Not the point however. Your post is full of clueless drivel with no factual grounding at all.

Like a war zone around here this morning with Quing Ming coming to an end.

I haven't gone to the grave with the family as there would be too many present.