Sending parcels/letters abroad during Covid-19

bluesofa

Firstly, I've posted here as the Covid forum specifically says it's not for political discussion. It's not intended as political, but I can't see any other reason for what's happening.

I don't know if it might be moved elsewhere by a mod?

I went to the Post Office earlier today to send a parcel to Finland, as I've done regularly for a few years.

I asked the woman who puts the packages into the Thailand Post cardboard boxes, to box up my package, telling her it was going abroad.

She told me straight away that it was not possible to send packages abroad right now.

When I asked why, she said is was due to Covid, adding that I could only send parcels to China and Hong Kong.

I couldn't help but ask why China & Hong Kong were OK, but the rest of the world weren't?

The lady called across to the counter staff who just replied "Covid!" I said to them that I wasn't arguing, but as Covid was worldwide, why was China & Hong Kong OK?

The only reply they could come up with was "Covid" every time.

Came home and did a search on TVF.

I found a topic by CharlieH who posted a link to Thailand Post's recent statement on Covid-19. They mention 'changes on transportation information by its partner airlines'.

Their list shows that China & Macao (but not so much Hong Kong) seem to be offering most letter & parcel air mail services.

According to the list few other countries are still offering surface mail services.

Finland doesn't even get a mention on the list of suspended destinations.

• Like 1

This is not only Thai post.

Many postal services world wide drastically reduced the countries to which they deliver.

Last week Germany - Thailand was still possible. Since yesterday the German post does not accept parcels to Thailand anymore.

I assume that previously they could ship parcels in passenger planes for quite cheap.

If they want to ship parcels now they have to charter planes. At the current rates they probably make a loss, so they just canceled it.

I guess that we will see an increase of shipping cost in the near future and then the services will resume.

Some post offices seem to be of the opinion that both airmail and surface mail has been suspended  to most countries. I was told this at the Silom Road post office 2 days ago trying to send a package to Denmark  I then walked down to the main PO  on Charoenkrung road and sent my package by surface mail with no problem.

I have a sort of linked query. I tried to send back a faulty laptop battery to China about 4 weeks ago. I wasn't sure if they would take batteries normally anyhow although I received it from China in the first place.

2 different POs told me cannot and one suggested that I could only use what sounded like UPS......presumably normally any courier would be ok but that would make it uneconomical to send so did not pursue it.

Anybody know for sure about batteries outside of the current covid situation?

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

See this

And find that airmail is basically down to most of the world.

Reports about refusing at the post offices pile up since days.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, topt said:

I have a sort of linked query. I tried to send back a faulty laptop battery to China about 4 weeks ago. I wasn't sure if they would take batteries normally anyhow although I received it from China in the first place.

2 different POs told me cannot and one suggested that I could only use what sounded like UPS......presumably normally any courier would be ok but that would make it uneconomical to send so did not pursue it.

Anybody know for sure about batteries outside of the current covid situation?

Some time ago I tried to send a Chinese mini iPad back to China using Thailand Post. 1st PO said I cannot send it because of the battery. 2nd PO accepted the parcel but after a few days sent a notice saying they could not send it and asked me to go to the PO for a shipping refund (which I did). I just gave up on it.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

just sent in my 2019 tax form. told me it would take upto three months to get to the states  LOL

I posted  mine on Mar.23 and it's still sitting at swampy. At least that's what EMS tracking says.  The IRS isn't going to be happy about that excuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone mentioned that Thailand post ,I think they said ,was going to "possibly" be opening up again on the 14th of April . Anybody know the current  status of mail coming in or out?

Thanks

Edited by riclag

I sent a parcel from the uk on friday here's the transit so far it shows freight routes are still open unless they fly back empty! its guaranteed to arrive 22nd or money back  ????

20/04/2020 - 01:23 International shipment release - Import - SAMUTPRAKARN TH  
20/04/2020 - 00:13 In transit - SAMUTPRAKARN TH  
19/04/2020 - 21:10 At destination sort facility - SAMUTPRAKARN TH  
19/04/2020 - 18:53 In transit - GUANGZHOU CN  
19/04/2020 - 18:41 Departed FedEx location - GUANGZHOU CN  
19/04/2020 - 14:49 Arrived at FedEx location - GUANGZHOU CN  
19/04/2020 - 10:27 In transit - NEW DELHI IN  
19/04/2020 - 10:24 In transit - NEW DELHI IN  
18/04/2020 - 23:42 Departed FedEx location - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 22:54 In transit - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 22:00 Shipment exception - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 21:40 In transit - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 20:40 In transit - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 19:21 Arrived at FedEx location - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 19:15 In transit - STANSTED GB  
18/04/2020 - 18:45 In transit - STANSTED GB  
18/04/2020 - 18:31 In transit - STANSTED GB  
18/04/2020 - 01:07 Left FedEx origin facility - RIDGMONT GB  
17/04/2020 - 13:33 Picked up - SWINDON GB

11 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I sent a parcel from the uk on friday here's the transit so far it shows freight routes are still open unless they fly back empty! its guaranteed to arrive 22nd or money back  ????

20/04/2020 - 01:23 International shipment release - Import - SAMUTPRAKARN TH  
20/04/2020 - 00:13 In transit - SAMUTPRAKARN TH  
19/04/2020 - 21:10 At destination sort facility - SAMUTPRAKARN TH  
19/04/2020 - 18:53 In transit - GUANGZHOU CN  
19/04/2020 - 18:41 Departed FedEx location - GUANGZHOU CN  
19/04/2020 - 14:49 Arrived at FedEx location - GUANGZHOU CN  
19/04/2020 - 10:27 In transit - NEW DELHI IN  
19/04/2020 - 10:24 In transit - NEW DELHI IN  
18/04/2020 - 23:42 Departed FedEx location - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 22:54 In transit - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 22:00 Shipment exception - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 21:40 In transit - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 20:40 In transit - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 19:21 Arrived at FedEx location - ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR  
18/04/2020 - 19:15 In transit - STANSTED GB  
18/04/2020 - 18:45 In transit - STANSTED GB  
18/04/2020 - 18:31 In transit - STANSTED GB  
18/04/2020 - 01:07 Left FedEx origin facility - RIDGMONT GB  
17/04/2020 - 13:33 Picked up - SWINDON GB
21/04/2020 - 04:37 Delivered - CHIANG MAI TH

21/04/2020 - 03:22 On FedEx vehicle for delivery - CHIANGMAI TH  
21/04/2020 - 03:13 At local FedEx facility - CHIANGMAI TH
  • Like 1

Just now, sammieuk1 said:
21/04/2020 - 04:37 Delivered - CHIANG MAI TH

21/04/2020 - 03:22 On FedEx vehicle for delivery - CHIANGMAI TH  
21/04/2020 - 03:13 At local FedEx facility - CHIANGMAI TH

There is of course a cost value of parcel £120 cost of sending £54 and the absurd cost of receiving 2386bt £60 or £114 to send a £120 parcel won't be doing that again????  

I have 2 renewed  credit cards at my home in the states! I want to have my family send them to me(the institutions would only send to a  US mailing address on file).

I could be wrong,as it stands I believe that Thailand is only excepting mail  from international surface transport.

Any suggestions ! Should I wait for the lock down to lift and wait for normal air transportation for mail or use  this surface transportation with  skepticism !  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 3:55 PM, Yankeesvsredsox said:

I have 2 renewed  credit cards at my home in the states! I want to have my family send them to me(the institutions would only send to a  US mailing address on file).

I could be wrong,as it stands I believe that Thailand is only excepting mail  from international surface transport.

Any suggestions ! Should I wait for the lock down to lift and wait for normal air transportation for mail or use  this surface transportation with  skepticism !  

Personally, I would wait.  Credit cards are too valuable to chance getting routed to who knows where.  That said; I have U.S. VISA cards but I have my Thailand address on the accounts and they are sent directly here (in normal times).  If you wish to use your cards online, which is the only time I use them, you really don't need the card in your possession.  Just get the updated information on the card from your family. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Personally, I would wait.  Credit cards are too valuable to chance getting routed to who knows where.  That said; I have U.S. VISA cards but I have my Thailand address on the accounts and they are sent directly here (in normal times).  If you wish to use your cards online, which is the only time I use them, you really don't need the card in your possession.  Just get the updated information on the card from your family. 

Thanks for your interest ,I appreciate that very much!

Yes, I'm gonna wait it out! I'll have my daughter send it through USPS as a document, hopefully the mail will get back to normal next month. 

• Like 1