Chiang Mai fires: "People's Army" mobilize to protect historic Doi Suthep temple

webfact

Chiang Mai fires: "People's Army" mobilize to protect historic Doi Suthep temple

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that an army of members of the public were mobilized at the weekend after fires got dangerously close to the historic temple of Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai. 

Monks and novices at an international Dharma learning center behind the temple were spooked as the flames and sparks got very close on Sunday. 

More than 100 locals joined firefighters in helping to extinguish the fires. 

Sanook said they grabbed whatever they could - hoes, rakes and other tools were all used to beat back the flames and protect the monks and the temple. 

9pm2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

After a two hour effort it was contained. 

Locals are in no doubt that the fires have been illegally set to burn old crop stubble, said the media. 

They have resulted in the northern Thai province having some of the worst air quality in the world in recent weeks, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-31

there is unfortunately only 1 solution possible if a foreigner decided to live (and not to die) in Chiang Mai: MOVING AWAY ! The signals set by government are pretty clear: Nothing will change ! There are new rumours that chinese companies are the buyers of these mushrooms.... then big money is involved.....Since middle of December last year it was not possible to do sports outside due to the air quality..... what a life !

Edited by Markus Rider
change font size
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Markus Rider said:

there is unfortunately only 1 solution possible if a foreigner decided to live (and not to die) in Chiang Mai: MOVING AWAY ! The signals set by government are pretty clear: Nothing will change ! There are new rumours that chinese companies are the buyers of these mushrooms.... then big money is involved.....Since middle of December last year it was not possible to do sports outside due to the air quality..... what a life !

I have heard that rumour also, and while I am not suggesting that the government is squeeky clean, a more rational explanation is that the independent minded mountain tribes are selling them direct. A big part of the problem is that it is hard to persuade soldiers or policemen to run round the mountains putting out fires, when you are paid peanuts - relatively - to do it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I have heard that rumour also, and while I am not suggesting that the government is squeeky clean, a more rational explanation is that the independent minded mountain tribes are selling them direct. A big part of the problem is that it is hard to persuade soldiers or policemen to run round the mountains putting out fires, when you are paid peanuts - relatively - to do it. 

what about the guys from the fire brigade who will get a bonus when they fight fires ? I also heard that even they have a vital interest that there are enough fires.... but only rumours around here from local people....assuming that due to the very tough economical situation Thailand will face with a substantial 2 digit loss in GDP, the very few democratic structures will dissipate...

19 minutes ago, Markus Rider said:

what about the guys from the fire brigade who will get a bonus when they fight fires ? I also heard that even they have a vital interest that there are enough fires.... but only rumours around here from local people....assuming that due to the very tough economical situation Thailand will face with a substantial 2 digit loss in GDP, the very few democratic structures will dissipate...

Well that is certainly a novel approach. Unfortunately I am self employed, and my "Boss" is unlikely to pay me a bonus for doing my job. You could try applying to your local Fire Brigade Union for a job as a negotiator!

Fine the local headmen or the landowner for the fires on their controlled land. Grab them by the wallet. And, have them pay for the damage to the trees and labor cost to extinguish the fires. Will be over soon. But hey weak Mr. Governor, you have to give the order! Don't be a pussy.

• Like 2

Drones and quick response fire brigades, including local volunteers. Catch fires quickly and go on the attack. How to fund hundreds of drones and the personnel to man (person) them? Sell a submarine.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

You'd be surprised ????

Exact ,

There are large plantations of coffee and litchees on the slopes of the mountain.
but to find out, you must first go up to the "false" minority village ", even higher than Bhubing Palace, then descend to Chiang Mai by the dirt road which has been in much better condition for a few years compared to the one I knew about fifteen years ago.

It is a road that we will neither take in sedan nor even with a 4x2 pickup; some portions are steep, both going down and up sometimes.
On the other hand on a  MTBike, it is very interesting.

I have been here for ten years and I cannot remember there ever being a fire around suthep temple. Been up and down the road many times and there is no crops planted any where near the temple or near the road. There are a lot of residences in that area and these people are worried about there homes in this area.

There was a very good article in the Sunday Bangkok Times about the fires this year, they have busted over three hundred people for setting fires this year.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Locals are in no doubt that the fires have been illegally set to burn old crop stubble, said the media.

Locals must be in no doubt as to who the farmers are... time to burn them out!

18 hours ago, Yom said:

Good idea, but ...?

No, sorry. - Have a look at   

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-overview/ 

19 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Fine the local headmen or the landowner for the fires on their controlled land. Grab them by the wallet.

Good idea, but ...?

19 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Will be over soon.

No, sorry. - Have a look at   

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-overview/ 

image.png.4257796c1e1f52b901bf8846056b2a36.png

Please do not partially quote as if you are US MSM.

'Will be over soon' wasn't directly coupled to the present fires as if these fires would be soon extinguished. It was meant in context with a governor's special order.