Hospital loses 24 staff to quarantine after infected patient withholds information

webfact

Hospital loses 24 staff to quarantine after infected patient withholds information

By The Nation

800_bc6518c0d0691b1.jpg?v=1585636944

Photo Credit to Bang Len Hospital

The failure of a patient to make full disclosure of her condition has led to 24 medical personnel at Bang Len Hospital in Nakhon Pathom province being quarantined.

A female patient, 56, received medical treatment from Bang Len Hospital for cough on March 27 but she did not inform the doctors that she was at risk of being infected with Covid-19.

Her daughter later told the doctors on March 28 that she had made contact with another Covid-19 patient and the hospital found that she was infected.

The hospital ordered 14 days self-quarantine for the 24 personnel who had made contact with the patient.

Bang Len Hospital decided to close its outpatient ward for 30 days to sanitise the zone and will only accept emergency cases.

Nakhon Pathom has 15 cases of Covid-19 but only 11 remain in the hospitals.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385129

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-31

I had reason to go to our local, private hospital last week where I am well known.   It took ages for me to convince them that i had no virus symptoms and was there for something completely different.

• Like 1

Protection 101, presume that all patients are positive.

Same reasoning within gay community in may western countries slowed the transmission of HIV and instilled a culture of community safety. "If its not on>>Its not on" This stopped transmission to nurses and doctors in most cases. STANDARD PRECAUTIONS

Surely health care workers treating a client with a "cough" should have been alerted and where were their PPE??
This is medical incompetence.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

My niece is a doctor in Germany, and the patients can tell them what they want.

Patients are treated as they could carry the virus, not what a patient tells them.

That shouldn't be different here. 

So all staff should be in complete plastic suits with face masks and caps on all day long?

19 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

So all staff should be in complete plastic suits with face masks and caps on all day long?

No it called as with all potential contagious ilnesses>>

Standard Precautions. Assume each client is potentially infected, take necessary precautions

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

A female patient, 56, received medical treatment from Bang Len Hospital for cough on March 27 but she did not inform the doctors that she was at risk of being infected with Covid-19.

Thainess... sheer stupidity.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Shouldn't doctors and nurses always protect themselves against infections?

A patient telling them "I am not sick" should be no reason to ignore safety rules.

Or not?

if she insists she's not sick,

- then why did they admit her in the first place?

so... she already knew she'd been told of her wuhan hooping cough from being tested after her contact!

- that means she should be Charged for deliberately infecting these staff!

maybe @Yinn could explain the mindset of the thais who remain steadfast on silence, rather than share their 'private' with outsiders?

11 minutes ago, tifino said:

if she insists she's not sick,

- then why did they admit her in the first place?

so... she already knew she'd been told of her wuhan hooping cough from being tested after her contact!

- that means she should be Charged for deliberately infecting these staff!

maybe @Yinn could explain the mindset of the thais who remain steadfast on silence, rather than share their 'private' with outsiders?

it is called FACE, never admit your wrong, rarely ask for help, and act like you know how to do something when you do not.  If you do blow up and embarrass someone higher up, no matter if you were right, you are expected to wai and prostrate yourself and kiss tootie...

• Thanks 1

A patients non disclosure of information is not an excuse for the hospital not to take adequate care of it's staff. That said however if patients are not punished either financially or by naming & shaming within the local community, this scenario will continue to pan out & be a burden to hospitals across the country. With increasing patients due to Covid19 (& due to one persons irresponsibility) now reduced hospital staff. It will affect the level of care that hospitals can give to other patients. Shame on the hospital, shame on her. TIT.

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Protection 101, presume that all patients are positive.

Same reasoning within gay community in may western countries slowed the transmission of HIV and instilled a culture of community safety. "If its not on>>Its not on" This stopped transmission to nurses and doctors in most cases. STANDARD PRECAUTIONS

Surely health care workers treating a client with a "cough" should have been alerted and where were their PPE??
This is medical incompetence.

It is quite possible that there is no PPE available for them to wear because of "shortages".

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is quite possible that there is no PPE available for them to wear because of "shortages".

I saw on the news this morning that they are using those very flimsy  plastic rain ponchos that motorcyclists use as PPE in the hospitals.

16 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

So she came to a hospital for a cough, and had contact with 24 hospital staff. Isn't that just overkill.

God help she has summat serious wrong with her, ooops,  sorry, she does now it has been diagnosed.

Actually it is not overkill at all if you think about it, and understand the hospital system.

In the local hospital there is/are

1 nurse to take your BP and weight

3 staff in the admission/documents

3 nurses on the central desk

1 doctor to check you out

1 porter and any hospital department staff usually a minimum of 2.

back to the doctor

up to 5 people in the emergency room if you need treatment

4 people in the pharmacy

3 people in accounts payable

That is at least 23 staff without contact with any other patients

34 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@Antonymous Where did you get this picture? I like it...  Got to have it.

It was taken in Chennai India and that's a policeman wearing the amazing headgear. I did not take the original photo but cropped the one I found somewhere online.

Pretty imaginative idea.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

It was taken in Chennai India and that's a policeman wearing the amazing headgear. I did not take the original photo but cropped the one I found somewhere online.

Pretty imaginative idea.

I guess not so funny if you have family amongst those who have died.

Surprised he has not been held to account by superiors

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually it is not overkill at all if you think about it, and understand the hospital system.

In the local hospital there is/are

1 nurse to take your BP and weight

3 staff in the admission/documents

3 nurses on the central desk

1 doctor to check you out

1 porter and any hospital department staff usually a minimum of 2.

back to the doctor

up to 5 people in the emergency room if you need treatment

4 people in the pharmacy

3 people in accounts payable

That is at least 23 staff without contact with any other patients

I don't like nit-picking but u seem quite skilled in the art, so let me tell u when I visited my local hospital last wednesday, I interacted with just 4 people.

The nurse at the desk who asked why I had come, and took my particulars.

The doctor in his room who asked why I had come. He typed a prescription for me on his computer.

The girl at the pharmacy window who game me my subscription.

The girl at the finance window who took my money.

This hospital has free-standing machines for height, weight, waist size and BP.

I did not require a porter as I wasn't on  a stretcher or wheel chair bound.

I did not visit the emergency room

• Confused 1