Emergency could be extended

snoop1130

Emergency could be extended

By THE NATION

800_c6a89a0f29b030f.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

The government, if need be, will extend the state of emergency for another month or two depending on the Covid-19 situation, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said today (March 31) after a cabinet meeting.

He said the government is reviewing the situation each week.

The premier announced the state of emergency, which took effect from March 26 and goes on until April 30.

Prayut said that at the moment the government is unlikely to lift the state of emergency soon.

He added that some rules under the emergency can be relaxed if the situation gets better. State agencies will consider tightening some rules in areas that show no improvement.

The premier said the rising numbers of confirmed cases over past seven days reflected the fact that the government was ramping up screening and that more people with symptoms were turning up at hospitals nationwide.

While many are concerned that more people travelling back to their hometowns will heighten the risk of virus infection and want to see a complete shutdown of public transportation networks, Prayut said the consequence of such an order must be taken into consideration before a decision is made.

He has also asked involved state agencies to see if the government should limit the frequency and capacity of public bus service on a daily basis.

If most people still failed to shelter in place, the government might have to suspend all public transportation systems.

The total number of Covid-19 cases in Thailand rose to 1,651 with 127 new infections confirmed over a 24-hour period while one person died, Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Tuesday (March 31).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385145

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-31
  • Haha 1

from one side I understand that all this is nonsense , statistically it makes no sense to even take it serious as medical problem, a lot more different problems in world, so it is political and  economic tool professionally managed, turn off the internet and virus will be over fast. I personally can adjust to everything, and will find something positive in every situation, so go on , don't be shy, lets continue this emergency for some year or two :)) I am just looking how much money I save not going out spending at bars so that's good for my wallet 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Wind bag.   Stifling Pattaya and Bangkok lead to many going back to their rural homes to infect their elderly relatives.  Testing is far from 100% accurate, so few countries have a handle on the number of infected or the number who are immune.  Is cha cha claiming he knows?  That rings of an April 1st. statement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“While many are concerned that more people travelling back to their hometowns will heighten the risk of virus infection and want to see a complete shutdown of public transportation networks, Prayut said the consequence of such an order must be taken into consideration before a decision is made.“

isn’t this the wrong way round? Shouldn’t the consequence of NOT giving such an order be taken into consideration before a decision is made?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zikomat said:

The idea of reopening the places like Pattaya bars and massage saloons any time soon is idiotic in itself. Even if they will be allowed to open again (the will not be) - where will they get their customers from?

Nice point but I suggest there's plenty of low intelligence farang and Thais who will readily rush to Pattaya, for no reason other that 'bars are open' and with no other thoughts. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was unable to board my fight as Thailand locked down last week, just as well. There must be so many thais who have lost their work in Pattaya and suffering financial crisis to cover food and rent. Not covered by welfare. Greatly concerning and feedback appreciated.

• Sad 1