Emergency could be extended

snoop1130

15 hours ago, samtam said:

Thanks.

My memory of timeline is a bit vague, because I was only looking out for the symptoms that were being identified at the time - dry cough, high fever and aches. I didn't have the first 2, and the aches seemed more pronounced than the usual neck and shoulder pains, which are chronic; in addition I had pains in both legs. I was desperate to have massage, but being aware of the dangers of close proximity to anyone, I avoided that completely. I also had very dry eyes, not painful, but discomfort, and then I developed a stye. These eye symptoms were self-treated and went away. I was also quite tired, and took to my bed in the afternoons a few times, and I had some diarrhea. I also had short painful headaches, but nothing too severe. Now I have occasional tiredness, and the dry eyes have returned, but this could be because of the pollution. I am in Bangkok, and am 63, (as of yesterday), so I put all of these things down to "just getting older". I usually swim 1200m every other day, but have stopped for 2 weeks, and we finally closed the pool yesterday. So I'm missing my usual exercise, but have taken to heavy house cleaning as a substitute, as I asked the daily maid not to come in about 2 weeks ago, and I stretch to ease my neck and leg aches.  

But who knows? Perhaps all these symptoms are coincidental; I just didn't feel 100%. I have had no respiratory symptoms. I am basically self-isolating, except for my weekly visit to the supermarket. I would dearly love to go to the ophthalmologist, dentist and to have my annual check-up at the hospital, but obviously avoiding all these establishments until we have a clearer picture of the situation. 

Many of your symptoms overlapped with ours.  If you dont have a pre-existing condition it sounds like you can enjoy a healthy recovery.  Self isolation for 14-21 days sounds like a good move to protect others.  Stay safe and keep well ????

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, peter48 said:

In the UK 381 citizens died of the virus yesterday. The total now is 1,789 deaths. Confirmed cases = 25,150. Thailand has 12 deaths and 1771 cases that is  around 7% of UK cases. The difference is very high. 

Population density ????   Ease of social distancing ??? Thailand is bigger (square km) than YUK (as Bette Middler calls us)  but with equivalent population therefore easier to distance ?

6 minutes ago, keithathome said:

Population density ????   Ease of social distancing ??? Thailand is bigger (square km) than YUK (as Bette Middler calls us)  but with equivalent population therefore easier to distance ?

A lot of the high density area is within Bangkok. And that is indeed where most infections are and will be.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:59 PM, Brigand said:

Let's hope that all the remaining freedoms they have taken away because of this situation are reinstated fully at a reasonable time when it's over and not endlessly drag on in a diluted form for month after month with lame half-arsed excuses.

That's my concern too...but it's not limited to Thailand. The entire world is now in the same boat. My guess is they will use every excuse in the book to limit certain freedoms indefinitely after the state of emergency is lifted. This includes restrictions on free speech both in person and online, possibly attempts at restricting free assembly in public (max. of 5-10 people in a group or something) and the possibility of intrusive temperature checking when entering certain businesses - although I see that as happening with thermal monitors as opposed to handheld thermometers. Also, surveillance through tracking apps and the list goes on.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, sukhumvitneon said:

Yup, just like in America.  Once a liberty is taken away in the USA it's sadly gone forever. PATRIOT Act, Brady handgun law, invasive TSA security etc.  are now part and parcel of American life and will never ever be rolled back.

And most of these are the blueprint which have been used to restrict civil liberties in other countries too. In America, they restricted non-passengers from being allowed to enter the airside areas after domestic security immediately after 911, though Australia continued to allow it until recently. However, having to take your laptop out of it's bag, taking off shoes, limits on liquids in carry-ons and a list of other things have eventually been rolled out worldwide, after first having been implemented in the USA.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, TheDark said:

Thinking of the last sentence.

People who have experienced liberties are probably very keen to restore their previously owned rights. I would think that the temporarily lost liberties are not a difficult to get back. Otherwise there would be civil disobedience, which the people in power are afraid of. 

You are pretty naive. I'm sure some civil liberties will be restored quite quickly, otherwise what you fear will happen. However, I doubt ALL civil liberties will be restored. "Never let a crisis go to waste" as someone once said.

5 hours ago, drbeach said:

You are pretty naive. I'm sure some civil liberties will be restored quite quickly, otherwise what you fear will happen. However, I doubt ALL civil liberties will be restored. "Never let a crisis go to waste" as someone once said.

Naive and ignorant of countless examples.

E.g., after 911 with all of the wild pro-war sentiment abounding, there were those pointing out that the USA's Patriot Act was dangerous to civil liberties.

The response was always "Don't worry, the bill  has an end date".

I forget how long, I think a few years.

And now 19 years later it is still there. 

Edited by JimmyJ