TEFL or TESOL

With nothing to do during the lockdown I was considering getting my online TEFL certificate, and do some online teaching. A couple of questions about this. Is an online course equivalent to an in-class acquired certificate, in that most schools and online teaching platforms will accept it? I suppose that right now with schools closed nationwide online is the only option anyway.
What are reputable schools, whose certificates are recognized worldwide, and among those which one would be the cheapest?

What’s the difference between TEFL, TESL and TESOL?

TEFL, TESL, TESOL are NOT certifications or qualifications, these are terms that refer to where and to whom you are teaching English. These terms are used interchangeably, so it can sometimes be confusing to know what they mean!

• TESL refers to Teaching English as a Second Language: programs in English-speaking countries for students whose first language is other than English.
  • TEFL refers to Teaching English as a Foreign Language: programs in countries where English is not the primary language and is not a lingua franca.
  • TESOL, which stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, is a general name for the field of teaching that includes both TESL and TEFL.

Many online companies still want a BA. A TESOL, or a TEFL are no certificates that allow you to teach at a government school.

An online course is not the right way to go.

If you can gain some in class experience and have real students, it will help you in the future, no matter if you find an online teaching job or as an ESL teacher.

It looks like you're using Google translate to post this thread. Now is the time to learn as much as you can. Please check Future Learn.

They offer free courses, I'm currently doing one on the Covis 19 virus and another one on online teaching.

You can sign up for the online teaching job here: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/online-tutoring

It's free, if you want a certificate that you could use to find an online teaching job, it's around 35 quit. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What makes you think I used Google translate? As I am currently residing in Vietnam, my original post was on a Vietnam expat forum, and as a former LOS expat of 20 years, I thought why not copy and post it on Thaivisa as well. Got a lot of constructive advice on Vietnamexpat, not so much in this thread. The thing is after over twenty years of language school teaching, I have enough classroom experience. All I need is the da.. certificate that most of the online providers require. 

14 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

What makes you think I used Google translate? As I am currently residing in Vietnam, my original post was on a Vietnam expat forum, and as a former LOS expat of 20 years, I thought why not copy and post it on Thaivisa as well. Got a lot of constructive advice on Vietnamexpat, not so much in this thread. The thing is after over twenty years of language school teaching, I have enough classroom experience. All I need is the da.. certificate that most of the online providers require. 

Sure there will be online TEFL etc courses and your experience may give you some exemptions and it will be easier for you as you have a lot of lesson plans.

Another was would be to do an online Bachelor of Teaching degree. So you can get a year off the course because of experience and maturity. Then if you have the time and work hard you can knock the degree over in 2 years. It's a while ago since I did it but Central Queensland University and many other universities had online teaching degrees. You do have to spend minimal time at residential school.

• Like 1

None of it matters in Thailand. You won't make a satang more. It's how you sell yourself and later how you perform. To the latter I don't think either will help anymore than just reading on the internet.

The industry is doomed to covid and technology. Don't bother.