Hospital care for foreigners

banagan

In the event of hospitalisation, I'm wondering the differences between being Thai and being a foreigner. Cost, level of care...

Do you think a hospital would prioritise a Thai patient over a foreigner, where medically the foreigner would have a better chance of survival, for example, younger. Or does it all come down to who can pay? 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, colinneil said:

I didnt bribe a doctor, or anybody else, yet a received first class treatment/ care in a government hospital.

Communication with doctors/ nurses, not a problem.

Good to hear. Do you mind me asking, for the China Virus?

If things got to Italy levels though...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It would probably always be government hospitals. From what I've read, private hospitals are very unkeen on taking covid patients and they'd be transferred to government hospitals.

First I've heard of this. Do you have any links? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I'll dig. It was in the TVF threads about Bamrasnaradura, where it was mentioned people with confirmed infections would be sent to government hospitals. Was about 2-3 weeks back so might take some time.

EDIT: ok google produced a better hit, but it's in Bangkok Post that I'm not allowed to link to. Search Google for 'Hundreds of hospital beds readied'. You will find that there's supposed to be a "gentleman's agreement" with MoPH and private hospitals on them taking on covid patients. That's in response to complaints about being turned away. I don't think I've ever met a gentleman in Thailand.

Found it. "gentleman's agreement" what's that supposed to mean?

Edited by banagan

I've had to research a number of private and public hospitals for a condition I have, and I found they differ greatly. And doctors and individual departments/specialties differ. I know everyone generalizes that private are better, but it is not that simple and you have to do the legwork and even trial and error.

19 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well here most likely that Doctor will give his last ventilator to that farang patient simply because they can tripple their price for such patients !! 

Everyone who is at risk for the virus, have the money, buy yourselves a emergency respirator! Case closed

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barryofthailand said:

If your a foreigner and you don't have insurance you better go home

How?

I need to get back to the UK by August/September, but I'm not at all certain anybody will be flying by then.

I read that cargo ships can take up to 12 passengers, maybe that would be the answer, a few months at sea safely away from the rampaging virus.

It's  bit late to start hitch-hiking, anyway!

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It would probably always be government hospitals. From what I've read, private hospitals are very unkeen on taking covid patients and they'd be transferred to government hospitals.

quite a statement, evidence, from a reputable source, please

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guderian said:

How?

I need to get back to the UK by August/September, but I'm not at all certain anybody will be flying by then.

I understand flights are still running - all be it at exorbitant prices......British Ambassador has apparently just posted (another thread) that you should get yourself back now or be prepared to stay for the long haul - but you knew that anyway :smile:

8 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

However, if you were going in for the same care in a hospital in your homeland, you can easily "lose" much more.

I spent 900,000 baht (insurance covered) on a procedure at BKK Hospital. It was performed with a huge staff attending, recovered a couple nights in a private room outfitted like a 4 star hotel including a mini bar (no alcohol). 

Since the surgeon has an identical clinic in the US, I asked him how it compared to the same procedure Stateside. He said the staff would be much smaller, less equipment, and I would recover in a multi-patient ward. It would be billed out at close to $100,000 (3 million baht).

amorn poomee ??

• Confused 1