Hospital care for foreigners

banagan

8 minutes ago, rickudon said:

How many respirators in Thailand? I think the answer is not nearly enough. And is the government procuring more?

If they do procure more, it will obviously be from their mates in China.

Thry are already making live or let die decisions in Europe and elsewhere. It will start here as hospitals and staff become overwhelmed, and not enough ventilators to go round. These decisions will never be challenged. Need I say more?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

I didnt bribe a doctor, or anybody else, yet a received first class treatment/ care in a government hospital.

Communication with doctors/ nurses, not a problem.

Nice to hear although not enough of these story to go around.  Sadly the government leaders just pass a law saying it is o.K. to charge foreigner different hospital even the public.

Not just hospital, just a month ago I needed a haircut and a shave, I waited like everyone ahead of me while waiting I was anticipating getting the same treatment but when it was my turn she rush through everything short changing me telling me I didn't even need a shave. So I got up and said how much she quoted me 100 baht, I told her you have two choice finish the job or you get no more than 40 baht out of me. Then I came to my senses and toss on the floor 50 baht stepped on it and walked out!????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, atyclb said:
13 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

However, if you were going in for the same care in a hospital in your homeland, you can easily "lose" much more.

I spent 900,000 baht (insurance covered) on a procedure at BKK Hospital. It was performed with a huge staff attending, recovered a couple nights in a private room outfitted like a 4 star hotel including a mini bar (no alcohol). 

Since the surgeon has an identical clinic in the US, I asked him how it compared to the same procedure Stateside. He said the staff would be much smaller, less equipment, and I would recover in a multi-patient ward. It would be billed out at close to $100,000 (3 million baht).

amorn poomee ??

he is a Canada/US residency trained plastic surgeon had office in usa and thailand

Would be better if you could pay after rather than in advance, incentive to keep you alive. I'm pretty confident a private hospital would fleece you to the max.  A govt hospital may not have enough equipment, but probably both hospitals will be struggling when the big wave comes

On 3/31/2020 at 9:55 PM, sirineou said:

Well think about it.

You are in your home country and you have a decision to make,. You only have one ventilator and two patients, of equal health and age, One is Your countryman and the other one is a foreigner. Not only a foreigner but a foreigner who always looks down or you, and talks bad about you at every opportunity.

Which one would you choose??I say the foreigner is screwed.  

I would choose to save the person who had a better chance of survival. If both have the same chance of survival then the <deleted> talker is toast, no matter where he comes from.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

How?

I need to get back to the UK by August/September, but I'm not at all certain anybody will be flying by then.

I read that cargo ships can take up to 12 passengers, maybe that would be the answer, a few months at sea safely away from the rampaging virus.

It's  bit late to start hitch-hiking, anyway!

Should have left sooner perhaps 

another great thinker!

5 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Thry are already making live or let die decisions in Europe and elsewhere. It will start here as hospitals and staff become overwhelmed, and not enough ventilators to go round. These decisions will never be challenged. Need I say more?

Any foreigner here that thinks he will get first dibs on treatment when shot hits the fan is not thinking right!

thais will take care of thais first

period

their hate for foreign people will outweigh anything 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

I would choose to save the person who had a better chance of survival. If both have the same chance of survival then the <deleted> talker is toast, no matter where he comes from.

That's why I said "of equal health and age " in other words all thing being equal, but I did not say that, because all things are not equal, one is a foreigner and the other is your countryman. 

On 3/31/2020 at 3:09 PM, banagan said:

Do you think a hospital would prioritise a Thai patient over a foreigner, where medically the foreigner would have a better chance of survival, for example, younger. Or does it all come down to who can pay? 

I guess maybe this would be a kick up the proverbial bottom then to change your life, get rid of that beer belly, drink less alcohol and exercise more if they did prioritise - though I fear most of us would be beyond saving 

6 hours ago, rickudon said:

How many respirators in Thailand? I think the answer is not nearly enough. And is the government procuring more?

I've heard that if you need a ventilator then there's a 50-80% chance you'll die anyway. Probably better to sweat it out at home and hope for the best which is what most Thais will be doing anyway. 

33 minutes ago, bartolo57 said:

I've heard that if you need a ventilator then there's a 50-80% chance you'll die anyway. Probably better to sweat it out at home and hope for the best which is what most Thais will be doing anyway. 

Yeah this is the impression I get as well. If you need a ventilator, you're pretty much stuffed already. Best to avoid getting to that point.

Aside from minimizing risk of exposure, I think keeping well rested is the next best thing you can do after that. It seems the hospital workers who are overworked (exhausted) and/or with high exposure to the virus, are seeing worse outcomes than the rest of the population.

There was a recent Bangkok Post article about how many ventilators there are in Thailand and it's an extremely worrying 1500 or so. Compare that to the UK where they've just opened a new field hospital called NHS Nightingale which alone will have 4,000 ventilators.

In terms of who gets treatment, you would hope the doctors would follow standard medical ethics which is to treat those who would be most likely to survive as a result of treatment. If there are too many who would survive, then the next question is who would survive longest. It would be medically unethical to make a choice based on nationality.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 7:48 AM, banagan said:

Good to hear. Do you mind me asking, for the China Virus?

If things got to Italy levels though...

In Italy, they were triaging new patients, deciding whether someone was worth attention or put on a cot in the dying ward.

If it gets that bad, it'll depend wholly on your age and condition.

Don't get sick is still the best plan.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:55 PM, sirineou said:

Well think about it.

You are in your home country and you have a decision to make,. You only have one ventilator and two patients, of equal health and age, One is Your countryman and the other one is a foreigner. Not only a foreigner but a foreigner who always looks down or you, and talks bad about you at every opportunity.

Which one would you choose??I say the foreigner is screwed.  

Must be very sad where you come from, in my home country it’s needs based not the color of your skin.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

well i have had treatment in 3 govt hospitals ,not as an in patient ,i have always been treated well and not charged a vast amount 

That’s been my experience as well although not three hospitals.

On one occasion I was taken by ambulance which unlike my home state in Australia was free.

The treatment and service was excellent and the cost minimal.

• Like 2

If you're talking about a government hospital, Thais will always have a better treatment.

False.  You claim "always".  In order to disprove your claim, I need only one example.

I have been treated as well or better than Thais in a government hospital.  Because I try to speak a little Thai. And I dress humbly in a white shirt and fisherman pants. 

I guess if you go into a government hospital with a superior attitude, you will get inferior service.

But I am guessing you only go to private hospitals and your false statement was just hearsay and bigotry. ✓

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

If you're talking about a government hospital, Thais will always have a better treatment.

False.  You claim "always".  In order to disprove your claim, I need only one example.

I have been treated as well or better than Thais in a government hospital.  Because I try to speak a little Thai. And I dress humbly in a white shirt and fisherman pants. 

I guess if you go into a government hospital with a superior attitude, you will get inferior service.

But I am guessing you only go to private hospitals and your false statement was just hearsay and bigotry. ✓

I also paid for Vip treatment at the government hospital (falang prices, not much, but little bit more) and my gf speak perfect thai, and we dressed like one million dollar ???? 

We for sure got better treatment and more help than the locals, and I felt sorry for them and made me a bit uncomfortable. 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:09 AM, baansgr said:

Do you really need to even ask this question, the answer is obvious. Its not the NHS you know.

You can say that again. The treatment I have received here in government hospitals far superior to the NHS.

About 15 years ago I had to wait over 2 years to see a consultant at the Hallamshire Hospital.

Not much better, a friend of mine in East Anglia, his 84 year old wife has a cancerous growth on her leg and not seen a doctor for 6 months, only nurses, was due to see the doctor this week but all appointments got cancelled.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:49 PM, edwardandtubs said:

There was a recent Bangkok Post article about how many ventilators there are in Thailand and it's an extremely worrying 1500 or so. Compare that to the UK where they've just opened a new field hospital called NHS Nightingale which alone will have 4,000 ventilators.

In terms of who gets treatment, you would hope the doctors would follow standard medical ethics which is to treat those who would be most likely to survive as a result of treatment. If there are too many who would survive, then the next question is who would survive longest. It would be medically unethical to make a choice based on nationality.

That's right.

And the UK has also started sending SARS Cov2 tests to Germany:

"It was also revealed today that hundreds of NHS workers' coronavirus swabs have reportedly been flown to Germany because the results are coming back in half the time. 

Samples passed to Public Health England are believed to be taking up to four days to process but those on the Continent can come back in just two."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8182767/Scientist-casts-doubt-coronavirus-spread.html

That should help the UK as well.

Perhaps Thailand could equally outsource tests to China.