Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Cabinet to boost number of eligible cash hand-out recipients

Recommended Posts

Cabinet to boost number of eligible cash hand-out recipients

By The Nation

 

800_f32abe9917f201e.jpg

 

The Cabinet would expand the target group eligible for its cash-handout programme, a relief measure for those who have lost their jobs due to the Covid-19 pandemic, from 3 million to 9 million people, Prime Minister's Office spokeswoman Narumon Pinyosinwat said on Tuesday (March 31).

 

She said the Cabinet had approved the Ministry of Finance’s proposal to review the Cabinet's resolution regarding a second phase of the measure to expand the number of eligible recipients of the offer".

 

“After allowing 3 million people affected by Covid-19 pandemic to register for the income compensation programme from March 28 to 30. 18.8 million registrants were found over the quota, thus the number of affected individuals must be far more than estimated”.

 

“Insurers under Section 33, 39, and 40 the of Social Security Act are not eligible to receive benefits while being unemployed. Therefore, we need to provide assistance to these insurers as well”.

 

She explained that there are about 5 million insurers under Section 39 and 40, while there are 70,676 insurers under Section 33 that the government would provide assistance.

 

“Meanwhile, the Ministry of Labour and Social Security Office will consider further assistance for other groups of insurer under Section 33 soon,” she said.

 

She added that to compensate the victims thoroughly and in a timely manner, the Ministry of Finance will use a budget of not more than Bt45 billion which has been allocated by the Cabinet on March 24 for the first compensation payout in April this year.

 

“For the following months, the Ministry of Finance will propose to the Cabinet for consideration the appropriate source of funding,” she added.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385166?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Give some credit to the Government Leadership. I the last couple of days they have made some progress:

1. Planning to inject another 500 Billion Baht ($15 Bill USD) into Covid-19 Relief. They are working out the details and stated they won't be borrowing it from the IMF.

2. They have extended unemployment Benefits for Thai workers at half pay for 180 days. Previously it was 90 Days. However, they must have a letter from the Employers stated the worker was let go because Covid-19.

3. In this Article: they are extending the 5,000 cash hand-outs to 9 Million out of the 18.8 Million Registrants. An increase over the 3 Million they earlier projected.

 

Essentially, they are claiming the remaining 9.8 Million registrants are covered under Social Security Unemployment and are not eligible for the cash hand-out.

 

The Government has shutdown nearly every Daily Wage Earners income through its closure of most service industries; Retail outlets, Restaurants, Bar Staff, Noodle Shops, Fruit Sellers, Coffee Sellers,...etc...etc...

 

Is is true that these 9.8 Million they are claiming are ineligible for cash hand-outs really workers covered under Social Security Unemployment Benefits? 

 

Or, are these 9.8 Million being denied the cash handouts REALLY Daily Wage Earners   working at retail outlets, Restaurants, Bar Staff, Noodle Shops, Taxi's Tuk-Tuk, Fruit Sellers, Coffee Sellers,...etc...etc. and the have no income; and really affected by the closing of business' in Thailand, and not covered under Social Security Unemployment Benefits? 

 

I think I can casually say that I know a ratio of at least 100 daily Wage Earners who are not eligible for unemployment compared to every Worker who is eligible for unemployment.   

 

What will happens if there really is 9.8 Million People not receiving Financial support; and unable to support Mom. Dad, Sister, Brother, Grandpa, Grandma?

 

You can fill in the blanks for the rest of it.

 

Edited by exparte
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“After allowing 3 million people affected by Covid-19 pandemic to register for the income compensation programme from March 28 to 30. 18.8 million registrants were found over the quota, thus the number of affected individuals must be far more than estimated”.

It does not seem so difficult to me ... the 3 million decided at the start were absolutely few, I think that the people affected by the measures taken in panic, are much more than 20 million ... and as always, the government does not know the situation of the country...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, exparte said:

However, they must have a letter from the Employers stated the worker was let go because Covid-19.

I'm curious, is there any reason why an employer would refuse to provide such a letter, is the employer liable in any way for paying compensation if they let a worker go due to Covid-19?

 

The reason I'm asking is because my son called yesterday to say that his employer had called the staff in and told them that they would be kept on at a reduced rate on a new contract whilst the Covid pandemic lasted. They were told that in order for the new contract to be valid they first needed to resign from the existing one. 

 

Yep, you can see what's coming can't you - son duly signed the resignation letter they had prepared for him and was then told, thanks very much, bye bye, there is no new contract. He said he wasn't the only one that they did it to. The labour office have said that as he signed a resignation letter there is nothing they can do to help him plus he doesn't qualify for the government help.

 

He'd been with this company for several years and hadn't had any problem with them, just wondering why they would pull a stunt like that.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“For the following months, the Ministry of Finance will propose to the Cabinet for consideration the appropriate source of funding,” she added.

Thaiand all over, all meetings and no action - unless its buying military hardware

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard nothing on loan payments.  How will banks cover massive defaults?  Nobody has savings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...