BANGKOK
michel7752

Renewal of one year Retirement Visa when not in Thailand

My one year retirement visa should be renewed by May 14th. As far as I know, you can do this only yourself being physically in Thailand. I am currently in Europe and do not see a way to travel to Thailand during the Corona period. Does anybody know about an alternative way?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You are correct that you must present yourself at immigration to renew your extension. They even make people wheel in sick, half-dead retirees to complete their extension.

Edited by Maestro
Removed trolling part of the post.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, michel7752 said:

My one year retirement visa should be renewed by May 14th. As far as I know, you can do this only yourself being physically in Thailand. I am currently in Europe and do not see a way to travel to Thailand during the Corona period. Does anybody know about an alternative way?

If you don't re-enter before May 14th your current extension will be lost and you'll need to start again. You will need to re-enter with a new Non O or O-A visa, or enter as a tourist and apply for a Non O once in Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OP, you can enter on tourist visa or visa exempt and obtain non o at immigration.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

You could contact a reliable agent and have them do it.

You will have to mail your passport/documents to them and of course pay a fee.

That would not work I'm afraid as you would have to present yourself to have your photograph taken.

15 minutes ago, maechanman said:

That would not work I'm afraid as you would have to present yourself to have your photograph taken.

Bigger problem is exit stamp without current entry stamp in pp.

Won't work.

He needs start over as outlined previously. No big deal.

Advising to return before the current extension date expires may be a moot point. At present, Thailand is not allowing most foreigners to enter under the Emergency Decree. Although it is due to expire, current media reports indicate that it may be extended.

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It depends.

But, I will leave it at that. 🙂

Depends on what ? How does he get round no entry stamp and no arrival card ? Visa offices may be good, but they dont forge those bits. 

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Advising to return before the current extension date expires may be a moot point. At present, Thailand is not allowing most foreigners to enter under the Emergency Decree. Although it is due to expire, current media reports indicate that it may be extended.

Not sure the entry restrictions are tied to the emergency decree. There is no end date shown on the IATA site.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Isn't the basic point that this is an extension, not a visa. Extensions can only be done in Thailand. Visas are obtained outside Thailand?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your answers. So there is no alternative to being personally present in Thailand for the yearly retirement visa renewal right now. Since this must affect many people being currently outside of Thailand and with various types of visa, we can only hope that a general automatic extension will be announced in the future. If not: start the whole process again from zero when Corona is gone.

Edited by michel7752
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, michel7752 said:

Thanks for all your answers. So there is no alternative to being personally present in Thailand for the yearly retirement visa renewal right now. Since this must affect many people being currently outside of Thailand and with various types of visa, we can only hope that a general automatic extension will be announced in the future. If not: start the whole process again from zero when Corona is gone.

The current leniency applies only to those in Thailand whose permission to stay is expiring and who cannot travel back to their home countries due to travel restrictions and/or non-availability of flights.  It does not apply to persons currently outside of Thailand.  At the moment, persons in Thailand may apply to extend their permission to stay by an additional 30 days if they can produce a letter from their own Embassy stating that the applicant cannot reasonably return to their home country.  The broader proposal being considered by the authorities (see below) is an automatic extension of the permission to stay until June 30, with no visit to Immigration required.  AFAIK, this proposal has not yet been approved, but again, it applies only to persons in Thailand.

The advice given is correct: if the borders are not re-opened and you do not return before May 14th, your current extension of stay and associated re-entry permit will expire and you will have to either apply for a new visa or enter visa exempt and apply for another one year extension.