BANGKOK
michel7752

Renewal of one year Retirement Visa when not in Thailand

6 minutes ago, michel7752 said:

Does this not apply to my case of renewing the expiring one year retirement visa?

No

It is only for those that have been granted permanent residency in Thailand.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:40 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, you can enter on tourist visa or visa exempt and obtain non o at immigration.

But then - one cannot enter with a ONE WAY flight ticket?

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No

I am currently "stuck" in Oz. Usually, when renewing a Retirement Visa "IN" Thailand, this can be done ONE MONTH before the Expiry date - is there also a 1 month time period for "AFTER" the expiry date available? My Expiration date is 20th July, but if travel restrictions still are in place by June/July, I will not be able to get back to LOS before the expiry date? A possible 1 month AFTER timeframe would give me more leeway?Can anyone advise?

4 hours ago, Awinkl said:

I am currently "stuck" in Oz. Usually, when renewing a Retirement Visa "IN" Thailand, this can be done ONE MONTH before the Expiry date - is there also a 1 month time period for "AFTER" the expiry date available? My Expiration date is 20th July, but if travel restrictions still are in place by June/July, I will not be able to get back to LOS before the expiry date? A possible 1 month AFTER timeframe would give me more leeway?Can anyone advise?

There is no automatic extension of your re-entry permit. When you re-enter Thailand, if you lack a visa, you will be given a visa exempt entry. Even if you were in Thailand and going a month late to request your extension of stay, it would be very unlikely to be allowed, even if you paid the one month overstay first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Awinkl said:

But then - one cannot enter with a ONE WAY flight ticket?

You could buy a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country that will be accepted.

Or if you were in a country where there are embassies and consulates that will issue a single entry non-o visa could apply for one to use for entry and then apply for a new extension.

• Thanks 1

Ubonjoe - many thanks for your precious help and advise during these confusing times!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, michel7752 said:

(3 + 9 = 12 months)

Thanks for that!      PML

On 4/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

No

From the Pattaya City Expats Club website: "Retirees and others with long stay extensions presently outside of Thailand whose renewal date will or has expired - good news! Immigration will allow return and renewal when situation improves."

Does this apply to my one year retirement visa (based on non O visa) expiring May 14th?

8 minutes ago, michel7752 said:

From the Pattaya City Expats Club website: "Retirees and others with long stay extensions presently outside of Thailand whose renewal date will or has expired - good news! Immigration will allow return and renewal when situation improves."

That is certainly incorrect info. It is only for those with permanent residency.

This is what the ministerial order states.

"Article 1 Aliens permitted for a stay in the Kingdom under Section 48 of the Immigration Act  B.E. 2522 and have made an evidence of leaving the Kingdom for a re-entry within one year under Section 50 of the same Act are permitted for an extension of re-entry to the Kingdom more than one year. When the epidemic situation is eased, the aliens should travel to the Kingdom without delay as required by the Immigration Bureau."

This is section 48 of the immigration act under "Chapter 5
Entering to take Residence in the Kingdom" 

Section 48 : A residence Certificate is of permanent validity, but it expires when the holder leaves the
Kingdom , unless prior to departing , the holder has his departure for return document endorsed by a
competent official in accordance with Section 50. In such a case , if the certificate holder returns to the
Kingdom within one year from the date of endorsement and he is not excluded from entry according to
Section 12 or 44 , a Residence Certificate shall be considered still valid.

My extension based on retirement expires 1 June. There is a lockdown where I am and the only flight into London is a few times a week to Southampton. I would still need a COVID-19 certificate and doctor's note before getting a boarding card in Heathrow and can see this requirement being in place for many months. If I am able to travel back and, as I have all the requirements to renew my extension I assume it is still possible to arrive and be given a 30 day tourist visa (UK Citizen) and then apply for the 90 day O. Then before that expires obtain an extension of the O based on retirement.

32 minutes ago, Jesse123 said:

My extension based on retirement expires 1 June. There is a lockdown where I am and the only flight into London is a few times a week to Southampton. I would still need a COVID-19 certificate and doctor's note before getting a boarding card in Heathrow and can see this requirement being in place for many months. If I am able to travel back and, as I have all the requirements to renew my extension I assume it is still possible to arrive and be given a 30 day tourist visa (UK Citizen) and then apply for the 90 day O. Then before that expires obtain an extension of the O based on retirement.

You could also apply for a single entry non-o visa online and mail the application and passport to the embassy.

Requirements are here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

Not sure what the requirements will be for entering Thailand after they start allowing flights into the country again. Before it was a health certificate and a $100,000 US of covid 19 insurance coverage.

Check here for the latest requirements.  https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could also apply for a single entry non-o visa online and mail the application and passport to the embassy.

Requirements are here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

Not sure what the requirements will be for entering Thailand after they start allowing flights into the country again. Before it was a health certificate and a $100,000 US of covid 19 insurance coverage.

Check here for the latest requirements.  https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

I assume the Non-O granted by the Embassy can then be extended at an IO in Thailand for one year without leaving Thailand.

24 minutes ago, Jesse123 said:

I assume the Non-O granted by the Embassy can then be extended at an IO in Thailand for one year without leaving Thailand.

Yes it can be extended during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry it allows.

You could apply for it early since it will be valid for entry for 3 months from the day it is issued.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it can be extended during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry it allows.

You could apply for it early since it will be valid for entry for 3 months from the day it is issued.

Thanks for the information. I will have to gauge when to apply so it is valid for when I travel.

17 hours ago, michel7752 said:

Does this apply to my one year retirement visa (based on non O visa) expiring May 14th?

The Pattaya City Expats Club has corrected that information and now notes only that it applies only to those with a resident book.

• Thanks 1