Justifiable gloom an doom for some

swissie

On 4/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, UbonThani said:

You speak a lot of sense. You want to have a beer sometime?

If I was in LOS maybe I would, but sadly I'm no longer living there. Not a day goes by I don't wish I was.

Been so long since I saw a slim DDG girl with long black hair and that coffee coloured skin smiling back at me. If I as much as looked at a woman under 40 here they'd probably report me to the thought police.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, jacko45k said:

You see, it is all subjective..... I think some of the GGBs in Pattaya were far better than any in Bangkok. Bangkok was overpriced and many of the girls were over-indulged Princesses. They are all rather tame too. The style you seem to prefer are rather 90s-00s now. I did quite like the Baby places myself back then too....

The golden days of Bkk gogos were in the mid 90s. Hollywood Royale rocked till after dawn every night. Still have the best lookers but way too overpriced to rent any more.

Have to disagree about Pattaya gogos now. I last visited 18 months ago and the best looking ones were outside touting. I even saw fat ones- the horror, the horror!

However, I only visited gogos to look, and barbeers to rent.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Would you care to put a percentage on the survivors, or those that close? 

Just my opinion of course, but I can see all the gogos on Walking Street closing and it becoming more like Bugis Street in Singapore was. The only girl gogos IMO will be on Buakhao. Can't see Boystown closing anytime soon.

The exception might yet be the Avenues project.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always enjoyed the 'Star Six' talent show at 11pm of an evening.

Are you claiming that "talent" exists in the C M night scene, or is it a talent show for plain girls? I did once come across an attractive one, but she must have thought it was gold plated, the rent she was asking. That was the last time I bothered. Even the best body massage place in CM had closed for good when I was there.

Sad boring town, but cheaper to live there than Pattaya.

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Do you think the expat market is large enough to keep the sex trade going here?  All those bars, massage shops, soapies, nightclubs

IMO wrong. Thai sex trade will continue. Soapies clientele are mainly Thais, and the nightclubs are mainly trendy young tourists that wouldn't be seen dead in a barbeer.

Most massage places are straight massage, and the foot massage places were already way too many, but some will survive.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Some of it, but very little of it. My weekly visit to an MP or boozing around the GGBs would hardly cover the electric bill. For sure there will be some 'business' going on though..... but I suspect it will fizzle out due to lack of custom and overheads making it a loser. Things are going to be very different, and what I fear is not the opening up of business in Thailand, more the movement of people, be it domestic, but much more so, if international. 

I fear that the owners of farang night scene places are too set in old thinking that they will not be able to adapt to a new reality, which would need a new way of catering to a smaller, but more affluent client base. It would also require a major change of attitude by immigration.

Seems to me that Vietnam or even Burma might be more easily able to capture the market.

I've always said that if Burma sorts the politics they will destroy the Thai beach scene. All those undestroyed beaches along the Andaman just waiting for tourists sick of Thai concrete.

IMO, the Thais will just bow to the inevitable and pivot even more to the Chinese market, especially if they can get high speed rail joining China and LOS. So far seems the Chinese don't care if Pattaya is a broken infrastructure dirty dump with a polluted sea- hasn't put them off before.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Never underestimate the power of the poon.  I'd say late 2020...

Edit:  Longer story... I think by then, people are going to realize that the lockdown may be flattening the curve, but it's not ultimately going to reduce the area under the curve (for you calculus geeks).  And by then improvements in treatment will mean that the cost of the lockdown will far exceed any further benefit from flattening and stretching out the curve.

But in Pattaya, it's about the poon.

It was but will it stay that way?think you,'ll find in the coming depression they,'ll be a lot of " poon " in the west.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I fear that the owners of farang night scene places are too set in old thinking that they will not be able to adapt to a new reality, which would need a new way of catering to a smaller, but more affluent client base. It would also require a major change of attitude by immigration.

Seems to me that Vietnam or even Burma might be more easily able to capture the market.

I've always said that if Burma sorts the politics they will destroy the Thai beach scene. All those undestroyed beaches along the Andaman just waiting for tourists sick of Thai concrete.

IMO, the Thais will just bow to the inevitable and pivot even more to the Chinese market, especially if they can get high speed rail joining China and LOS. So far seems the Chinese don't care if Pattaya is a broken infrastructure dirty dump with a polluted sea- hasn't put them off before.

Too true the Chinese have bought a lot to thailand, (especially the current situation.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the girls don't normally benefit by any of that, it's hard to see bars opening without any girls.

They would still have girls in there, customers less important, have you ever wondered how a gogo can have loads of girls and nearly always very few customers

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They would still have girls in there, customers less important, have you ever wondered how a gogo can have loads of girls and nearly always very few customers

Gogos pay the dancers good money and the money they make from customers is extra. They don't need  to go with customers to survive.

Do you really think barbeers can afford to pay 10 to 15 or so bargirls a decent wage when they get barely any customers, and the girls are not going to stay if they ain't getting any "extras". They still have to pay rent, power, water and for food.

If what you say is true, the barbeers would still be well stocked even in low season, but many go back to the village then. Tell me if I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gogos pay the dancers good money and the money they make from customers is extra. They don't need  to go with customers to survive.

Do you really think barbeers can afford to pay 10 to 15 or so bargirls a decent wage when they get barely any customers, and the girls are not going to stay if they ain't getting any "extras". They still have to pay rent, power, water and for food.

If what you say is true, the barbeers would still be well stocked even in low season, but many go back to the village then. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm not suggesting it's widespread, i hear anecdotal accounts, look up how money laundering works. Also stories of golf courses doing the same, cash based businesses required

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not suggesting it's widespread, i hear anecdotal accounts, look up how money laundering works. Also stories of golf courses doing the same, cash based businesses required

The only anecdotal evidence of money laundering enterprises in Pattaya are Indian Restaurants (heard that from the horse's mouth) although i wouldn't be surprised if some Chinese enterprises served the same purpose. Can't imagine a beer bar being a valid money laundering enterprise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The only anecdotal evidence of money laundering enterprises in Pattaya are Indian Restaurants (heard that from the horse's mouth) although i wouldn't be surprised if some Chinese enterprises served the same purpose. Can't imagine a beer bar being a valid money laundering enterprise.

How about a chain of gyms?

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You,'re wrong,most girls in "bar beers " now are freelancers who don,t get paid just commission on l\ds and bar fines.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

You,'re wrong,most girls in "bar beers " now are freelancers who don,t get paid just commission on l\ds and bar fines.

Correct.  So, with that knowledge, why would anyone pay a bar fine?  The girl can leave when she wants.  She is not on salary.  Everything else is just commission to the bar, and for what?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Correct.  So, with that knowledge, why would anyone pay a bar fine?  The girl can leave when she wants.  She is not on salary.  Everything else is just commission to the bar, and for what?  

Totally agree.

7 minutes ago, El Chapo said:

Absolute rubbish most of the girls in bars are not freelancers. Freelancers can't just pick and choose where they work they need permission from the owner, you really do not have a clue. Any well run place will not let them In, it causes friction with the staff and almost certainly will be a problem sooner or later with theft from a customer when he is asleep who will then go straight back to the bar and kick off big time demanding to know who th

That's how it works here.

Absolute rubbish,apart from bars with a high turnover of sales,most of the smaller bars can,t afford to pay wages to far more girls than are needed to serve customers,that's why they let freelancers in to serve drinks and if they get b\f ed the bar cops a % of the barfine,it's win win for the bar.

Edited by kingdong

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I once had a freelancer from a bar stay LLT with me and the bar wanted 30,000 baht as a "buy out fee". I almost died laughing.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

'Witness to consent' ....... is the thought that crosses my mind.

If you've paid a bar fine, she can't make claims to the police later.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

I once had a freelancer from a bar stay LLT with me and the bar wanted 30,000 baht as a "buy out fee". I almost died laughing.

Was it less than the daily stipend would have cost? If not hardly worth considering. You know how it goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained, nothing lost.

15 hours ago, El Chapo said:

Absolute rubbish most of the girls in bars are not freelancers. Freelancers can't just pick and choose where they work they need permission from the owner, you really do not have a clue. Any well run place will not let them In, it causes friction with the staff and almost certainly will be a problem sooner or later with theft from a customer when he is asleep who will then go straight back to the bar and kick off big time demanding to know who they are.

That's how it works here.

Look at places like Billabong Bar on LK Metro.  Plenty of freelancers there, or do you think they are all salaried staff on 6000 to 9000 baht a month.  ????

I know a few freelancers.  They are in different bars each week.