Jump to content
BANGKOK
swissie

Justifiable gloom an doom for some

Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Improved? How? Tell us! Prices doubled.

And the rip-offs and general unfriendliness quadropled in the following years,unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, a gloom and doom thread. What happened to JSixPack? The obligatory FAQ is missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

What happened to JSixPack?

 Maybe last spotted in Centun festival du Beach.

P_20170521_130104.thumb.jpg.d2d98d11ffcca60848317f0b2c50ec49.jpg

P_20170521_130117.thumb.jpg.7cf00aef7f3aee4903e829c7c46ea8a6.jpg

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 8:44 AM, AlexRich said:

This will take six months to get through but I’d be surprised if Pattaya wasn’t up and running again in 2021.
 

I’ve never witnessed a situation were people around the world were largely in the same boat. Many people will lose their jobs and businesses everywhere.

Depends on which "Pattaya" you refer to. If it's the Chinese destination, possibly, but if you mean the farang bar scene I doubt it, and even possible it vanishes, or becomes as pathetic as Chiang Mai or Hua Hin.

The reason for that is two fold, IMO.

1/ western economies are going to be devastated, and I doubt mongers will have the funds to be visiting Pattaya in the required numbers.

2/ something that was already underway- bargirls are transferring to the internet to seek customers. No need to hang out in bars getting bored and pretending to like fat old men.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 3:02 PM, Brunolem said:

Thailand could target quality, instead of quantity...and look at countries such as the Maldives

Thailand already has some resorts that equal the Maldives, but I very much doubt the entire country could upgrade sufficiently to attract many more. The infrastructure is just too bad to do so and it isn't possible to rebuild the entire country. The rich will probably never consider LOS as a desired destination. No doubt they can get high class call girls wherever they choose to visit.

So, even if they did reposition more resorts to high end spenders, the vast majority of Thais that live off tourism will not benefit, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on which "Pattaya" you refer to. If it's the Chinese destination, possibly, but if you mean the farang bar scene I doubt it, and even possible it vanishes, or becomes as pathetic as Chiang Mai or Hua Hin.

The reason for that is two fold, IMO.

1/ western economies are going to be devastated, and I doubt mongers will have the funds to be visiting Pattaya in the required numbers.

2/ something that was already underway- bargirls are transferring to the internet to seek customers. No need to hang out in bars getting bored and pretending to like fat old men.

Maybe the best bars, gogos and restaurants will survive and the turd ones close, so a good thing and well overdue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe the best bars, gogos and restaurants will survive and the turd ones close, so a good thing and well overdue

Probably most if not all of the actual ones will not survive, but others will open...in due time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand already has some resorts that equal the Maldives, but I very much doubt the entire country could upgrade sufficiently to attract many more. The infrastructure is just too bad to do so and it isn't possible to rebuild the entire country. The rich will probably never consider LOS as a desired destination. No doubt they can get high class call girls wherever they choose to visit.

So, even if they did reposition more resorts to high end spenders, the vast majority of Thais that live off tourism will not benefit, IMO.

It seems that many jobs related to tourism will be lost for good.

 

The question is: will Thailand learn its lesson and move toward an economy less dependent on foreign visitors?

 

And the answer is: probably not...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Probably most if not all of the actual ones will not survive, but others will open...in due time...

I'd expect more to be throwing in the towel now and save the money on rent, I can't see tourism picking up properly for 6-12 months minimum. I have a theory that the money laundering places will continue as if nothing has happened

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd expect more to be throwing in the towel now and save the money on rent, I can't see tourism picking up properly for 6-12 months minimum. I have a theory that the money laundering places will continue as if nothing has happened

They probably have already thrown the towel because landlords in Pattaya are not the forgiving type (especially the one with a four letter name, well versed into money laundering).

 

Their modus operandi is to change tenants as often as possible, while keeping their deposits and whatever guarantee they had provided.

 

Now is a great time for them.

 

But the future is probably not going to be that great because I don't see tourism picking up within 6 months or one year, and I don't see anyone willing to start a business (or buy a house or a condo) anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 11:52 AM, jacko45k said:

Why the hell don't they open them in China and stay over there!

They have Macau, but I think the Chinese like to gamble away from the eyes of Big Brother.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China is not as reliant on exports as it once was. They have a growing middle class that will support domestic spending.

Asia in general have and will weather this crisis far better than a politically correct West and that includes the US.

My asian investments have held up far better than UK, Europe and US.

China will just become more important to Thailand and they will be the condo buyers will farang visitors stay at home.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 12:04 PM, BritManToo said:

The current puritan military government don't want any alcohol, drugs or sex ...........

You think they'll suddenly change course and let gambling start?

I believe a certain revered man in Thailand has to sign off on it, but since casinos raise billions of dollars for countries, I can't see how Thailand can hold out forever. Especially when next door in Vietnam they are building things like this.

 

https://thegrandhotram.com/

 

Then, you also have Sihanoukville in Cambodia.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe the best bars, gogos and restaurants will survive and the turd ones close, so a good thing and well overdue

LOL. "Best gogos" and Pattaya do not belong in the same sentence. Some of the places in Nana or Cowboy were pretty good, but the best ones in Pattaya didn't come up to their standards, and the few that were quite good closed long ago. Super Baby was the last, IMO.

Last time I visited Pattaya there were fat girls dancing ( if one can call what they were doing dancing )- the horror the horror.

When the best looking girls are on the streets in front of the gogos, it's a sign of the end.

 

What people seem to forget is that the best looking are on the internet now. They ain't going to save the Pattaya scene.

 

Sad to say, IMO it's the end of the glory days and the wowsers won.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

Asia in general have and will weather this crisis far better than a politically correct West and that includes the US.

IMO the west has rotted from the center and the only thing holding it together was cheap money and cheap stuff from Asia. The circus, IMO, is over.

Hard times ahead for Thais that depended on the monger demographic in Pattaya and Bkk. Chiang Mai's nite scene was always too pathetic to matter so not much change there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...