Phuket hotels look to close during lockdown

webfact

Phuket hotels look to close during lockdown

By The Phuket News

1585629331_1-org.jpg

Bangla Rd in Patong remains closed. Photo; Patong Municipality

PHUKET: The number of hotels in Phuket intending to temporarily close in April to comply with the one-month lockdown has risen to some 87%, reports Kongsak Khoopongsakorn, President of Thai Hotels Association (THA) southern chapter.

Mr Kongsak said there are no tourists in the province at this point. It is possible the closure could extend beyond April if the outbreak remains uncontrollable, he told the Bangkok Post. 

Phuket Tourist Association Pre­sident Bhummikitti Ruktaengam said he agrees with the lockdown. The association has suggested the measure to Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana since Mar 15, and suggested to Governor Phakaphong yesterday (Mar 30) to issue an order for hotels on the island to close. Phuket has around 400 registered hotels.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hotels-look-to-close-during-lockdown-75513.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-01

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of hotels in Phuket intending to temporarily close in April to comply with the one-month lockdown has risen to some 87%,

Surely they should all be complying! By my reckoning, 13% are failing to comply!  That should be the story!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

there are no tourists in the province at this point

So who could it be that check in every second day to the combination hotel/condominiums which under normal circumstances would have mostly longs stay Thai and foreigner residents at their premises when after my observations the arrive with cars! Wasn't the bridge closed? To stretch this a bit and as example: " Lets say I'm a local not felt well lately but no way go to a overprized and contagious hospital to get tested but to shield my colleges, wife and children I check in to a condo hotel" So much for stopping the virus spreading here???? Add the hysterical face mask thing instead of teach (drill) the public what WHO says about masks, gloves, distancing and the importance of handwashing. No instead we spraying roads in the famous night spot on the Island and tells people to wear a facemask even if you walk far from anyone or are alone in your car???? As always, show for the audience and I'm afraid this show will be long and ugly.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

You should ask that on the Pattaya Forum ....

From reading those kind of posts I get the strange feeling that the people asking those questions are not so much concerned about the health aspect, but rather are pushing an agenda

All very well planning this, but what about people staying there that have nowhere else to go. Will they suddenly turf out all the farang onto the streets ? How long before the condo block owners suddenly ban access to families for fear of spreading virus ? Be thankful if you have a repaid house of a decent landlord

• Like 1

Hotels open everywhere in the world ... I am in one (Qatar).

Phuket/Patong are closing so they don't have to pay staff as the bottom figure was already red lining from the past 12 months..They could remain open and put staff to work overhauling/cleansing rooms but again profit is the bottom line and not the wellbeing of staff financially....an observation, not a rant.

Here the staff are cleaning room by room, with bathrooms scrubbed with toothbrushes, I kid you not.

6 hours ago, ThePearl said:

Hotels open everywhere in the world ... I am in one (Qatar).

Phuket/Patong are closing so they don't have to pay staff as the bottom figure was already red lining from the past 12 months..They could remain open and put staff to work overhauling/cleansing rooms but again profit is the bottom line and not the wellbeing of staff financially....an observation, not a rant.

Here the staff are cleaning room by room, with bathrooms scrubbed with toothbrushes, I kid you not.

I think it is the financial well-being of staff to get paid.

22 hours ago, stevenl said:

There is no requirement at all to close hotels.

So the 13% will raise prices due to the lack of tourists? I saw this a lot in Phuket. In addition to the standard greed and the question "How long you stay Thailand before" before deciding how to try and extract more money. I saw Phuket turn from paradise into a concrete island full of greed. Two tier system. Prices were some of the highest in Thailand and with the Baht so high not cheap anymore. Visas etc The world is a large place with the 787 and A350 taking you direct to more places then ever before. Crikey even SYD-LHR is coming.

• Confused 1