BANGKOK
webfact

U.S. could rethink Iran sanctions in light of coronavirus - Pompeo

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Ya think corporations are happy about these restrictions? Even more so now that the world is faced with the inevitability of a worldwise recession?

US corporations can't really do business in these areas anyway, with the constraint of the corporate bribery laws (should they choose to follow it).  Except when it comes in the form of a weapons deal or something similar where the bribe is built in, say with perpetual hotel bookings for empty rooms..

With travel and trade between countries being what it is, viruses are no longer regional problems. The WHO needs to be reorganised and it's mandate readjusted to mount a coordinated reaction to these events .

I realise that there are sovereignty concerns that need to be addressed. But an event such as this can not be allowed to reoccur. If we are lucky to survive this with only short term damage, I don't think we will be so lucky the next time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

Ridiculous 

The clue is in the OP:

Iran has accused the United States of "medical terror," prompting Pompeo's spokeswoman, Morgan Ortagus, on Monday to tweet: "Stop lying. ... It's not the sanctions. It's the regime."

Nobody in the world trusts Fat Mike.

18 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Yeah, their leadership is terrible but whose isn't?  Speaking for myself, I've never met an Iranian I didn't like, in Iran or the US. I hope they find a way to ease restrictions, while at the same time giving support to opposition bodies. I don't see it happening under this regime, or a Biden regime, but I live in hope.

Biden is a far more reasonable man and he has a heart. Sanctions relief is the right thing to do. The people in Iran are decent people. They have awful leaders. So do we in the US and here In Thailand. It is what it is. Do not make the people suffer and die. That is inane and cruel. 

• Like 2

Off topic deflection posts and replies about Israel have been removed. 

• Thanks 1