British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

webfact

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

They sold their house and car, but in 2-3 months they won't have money anymore?

Weren't many travel warnings issued in February already, but they still decided to fly in March?

Sold their house and car so i geuss it will take a little longer before they are running out of money . How on earth can they be homeless ????? O.k i can understand they are without a job , but so are millions of others , and it's by their own choise maybe should have done a little bit more resurch before giving up everything and moving here WITH THEIR TWO YOUNG CHILDREN .no pitty from me . Specially the homeless part , how can they be homeless they have enough money to rent some decent place for the 4 of them . 

• Like 1

they knew what was happening i imagine many did.many have left it late and now can not return,like a few of my friends now know.a week before  he must have seen the news or info.sorry you should have put it off until it gets better.i have to wait to nov or dec to return now,don,t like it,but nothing i can do.

47 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

nobody judges you to live differently, can do the same for you, we would all come out of it and all grown up). Perhaps the same ones who are courageously hard with the weak and tender with the strong... for money and privileges.

Expatriates on this forum need no lessons in the virtue of chasing ones dreams. Everyone evidently did it as they're here.
When you have children you should see the Universe in their deepness of their innocent eyes and protect their welfare and well-being. 
Your mind should be Sky like but not up in the clouds. 
This isn't the middle-way but a smart shortcut.
Clever, not wise.
Peace. 

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Sold their house and car so i geuss it will take a little longer before they are running out of money . How on earth can they be homeless ????? O.k i can understand they are without a job , but so are millions of others , and it's by their own choise maybe should have done a little bit more resurch before giving up everything and moving here WITH THEIR TWO YOUNG CHILDREN .no pitty from me . Specially the homeless part , how can they be homeless they have enough money to rent some decent place for the 4 of them . 

We may assume that their assets sold as car and house were not debt free - rather the opposite, which is quite common when one is a young toddler's family and it cost a bit more to travel and to live when you are 4 compared to 1 and for the same reason we can assume that they will not stay afloat very long if the jobless situation will persist something that it clearly and unfortunately points to ...

Hopefully they are wise enough to take the cost of being fully insured during their stay otherwise they will risk ending up as not only homeless, but also as debt servants ….

Sorry to say that: just british, naive, no glue of responsibility,  sure no health insurance and wait for help!? Whenever i can read stories about people stranded in Thailand they are mostly british nationals. Gofundme.....but why?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

We don’t want to come back to the UK because we have nothing there now. We gave up everything"

now make the decision....where is it better to have nothing. 

As always...can't fix stupidity! ????

44 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think I now know why you have so much anger towards the UK. Could it be because you were unable to get your daily portion of German sausage while you lived there? ????

I'm not gonna lie, not being able to enjoy the finer offerings of Aufschnitt or Charcuterie, sorry the English with their cuisine being what it is, don't have a word for this, really was one of the many, many, many, countless and constant disappointments of life in the UK. To live without the joys of Black Forest ham (okay, you got that one later), Fleischwurst, Leberwurst, or Lyoner was not easy.

But I have no anger towards the UK, I will always have a soft spot for the 'good' Englishman, the salt of the earth decent Englander, which is of course a rarity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Don't say Exeter.

They'll crucify you.

It's Devon.

Also, you've vastly overestimated the house price. The average house price in Devon is £265,000 

Yeah. It's Execyouder it is. Ooh Arr.

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

They made sure they had a job, they did nothing wrong. Those kids are very young and schooling was not an issue.

The reason they are in trouble is because of the global lockdown of economies the father can not do his job.

It's not their fault. 

Yes, I agree, I would certainly make sure that the visa situation is sorted in a clear manner, so yes, here maybe they were a bit careless. 

Of course the move was planned long before the pandemic. But actually during the pandemic, you'd be better off in Thailand, as the UK is going to go through peak infection time in around two weeks. Better to be in Thailand.

The reason they're in trouble is because the job disappeared. Not their fault.

Point taken,still think whole venture ill conceived.

17 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I'm not gonna lie, not being able to enjoy the finer offerings of Aufschnitt or Charcuterie, sorry the English with their cuisine being what it is, don't have a word for this, really was one of the many, many, many, countless and constant disappointments of life in the UK. To live without the joys of Black Forest ham (okay, you got that one later), Fleischwurst, Leberwurst, or Lyoner was not easy.

But I have no anger towards the UK, I will always have a soft spot for the 'good' Englishman, the salt of the earth decent Englander, which is of course a rarity.

Yes. The word Englander is quite rare, in England of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Germany is hardly the gastronomic hot spot of Europe. German food is about as bland as it can get. That said, I did grow to enjoy the German sausage and beer stalls in Zurich when I used to work there a lot. That may have been more through lack of choice though. 

Anyway, we digress! At least this 'stranded' family can live on delicious Thai food. If they had to live on wurst and sauerkraut I'm sure they'd try to swim back home ????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Germany is hardly the gastronomic hot spot of Europe. German food is about as bland as it can get. That said, I did grow to enjoy the German sausage and beer stalls in Zurich when I used to work there a lot. That may have been more through lack of choice though. 

Anyway, we digress! At least this 'stranded' family can live on delicious Thai food. If they had to live on wurst and sauerkraut I'm sure they'd try to swim back home ????

Oh please, almost all the best dishes of the world are traced back to German cooking, the hamburger, the hot dog, Gevillte Fish, veal Milanese (schnitzel), the Baguette, the Croissant, the Bagel, the "Danish"....all  German....

I am so sorry for this poor family that they can not enjoy our many delicious German foods, makes me feel sad for the whole UK really...

Having said that the aisles of every supermarket in Chiang Mai are overflowing with German products, from Fleischwurst to liver sausage, German rye bread to Pretzels, German chocolate, butter, cheese, smoked pork, sour cherries, Haribo gummy bears and many other delicacies. No doubt a portion of that will be available in Big C on that drug island.

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Other than him appearing to be working or trying to work without the correct visa and WP I do not see their problem. They just sold their car and house in Devon so will be sitting with millions of baht in the bank. They should just enjoy the next few months of holiday in Phangan and when the world returns to normal decide what to do. They are in a much better position than 99% of the rest of us.

101 likes for that post. Is that a record?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Youlike said:

I see a gofundme coming...

i can feel it too...wait for it....they will be begging us to support the entire family and their dynasty.

Edited by mike787

Don't say Exeter.

They'll crucify you.

It's Devon.

Also, you've vastly overestimated the house price. The average house price in Devon is £265,000 

Here we go again.  Exeter IS in Devon.  ???? 

• Haha 1

Well, funny story, I actually turned up at a hospital in the UK to demand non urgent treatment. This was literally just hours after I'd arrived in the UK for my interview with Oxford University, but I'd eaten some spoiled Fleischwurst a few hours earlier, so I had food poisoning.

Aaaand another contradiction.  C'mon, get a grip.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Namplik said:

What about them tens of thousands arrived without a tourist visa?? Or do they mean Visa Exemption also?

I think people in the UK wouldn't know the difference, especially journalists.

I suspect that the potential new system would mean only tourist visas, because there are fewer tourists on them so easier for Immi to deal with whilst also looking as though they are actually doing something.

Most short stayers will be on VEs and I think Immi may well be hoping they will gradually fade away.