Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Other than him appearing to be working or trying to work without the correct visa and WP I do not see their problem. They just sold their car and house in Devon so will be sitting with millions of bah

Completely irresponsible parents. Moving to a foreign country with their two young children during a PANDEMIC and seemingly working illegally. Then advertising in the world media they are working ILLE

I see a gofundme coming...

Posted Images

Journalists in Devon need to get out more.  The story is in the "European Union" section.  Brexit-effect? ("somewhere foreign"...)

 

Not the "piece of mind" they needed, methinks.

 

Almost as bad as The Sun: "Boris testes positive for Coronavirus".  I wondered if it had spread to his Johnson...

 

Saw this in DEVON ONLINE too: (Maybe the frontline staff would prefer the gin - Mrs. Cap is one and would...)

 

Exeter Gin.JPG

BJ's testes.JPG

Edited by capdagde
Add photo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

 

Have you not realised that you are dealing with the forum troll.

If you look at his posts he deliberately goes out of his way to argue against overwhelming opinion.

On this thread he is deliberately antagonizing other posters, when posters point out the true facts he just ramps his rhetoric up just to disrupt the thread.

He has already ruined this thread and if you look at the other threads he is posting on you will see the same pattern over and again.

 

Moderators, can nothing be done to stop this poster (Logosone) ruining threads?

Surely trolling is against the forum rules.

 

 

Yes. Apologies for getting sucked in. That bounder! 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

The fact is Logosone,in my opinion they did nothing right,fair enough to chance everything on a wing and a prayer,if there was only the two of them but they have kids,it'seems they may have some kind of buisness visa,like the one i first had 8 years ago as it mentioned 500 quid somewhere,but of course you have to leave the country evey 3 months,immpossible now,also to move in the middle of a world pandemic, well i have to say i think they are damned fools.

Traveling in the middle of a pandemic and sitting on a plane with so many people is insane.

 

   How can anybody believe that he had a job before they arrived when most dive instructors now are jobless?

 

  They sold their house and everything to start a new life in a country where even ex-pats have a hard time following the visa rules?

 

 And yet, some people say it's not their fault? Whose fault is it then?

 

  What if they have a motorbike accident? What if the kids get infected? 


They are adults, but they act like they'd be idiots.

 

I'm certain that we will soon hear more about them. I feel sorry for the kids.  

 

 

 

  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Traveling in the middle of a pandemic and sitting on a plane with so many people is insane.

 

   How can anybody believe that he had a job before they arrived when most dive instructors now are jobless?

 

  They sold their house and everything to start a new life in a country where even ex-pats have a hard time following the visa rules?

 

 And yet, some people say it's not their fault? Whose fault is it then?

 

  What if they have a motorbike accident? What if the kids get infected? 


They are adults, but they act like they'd be idiots.

 

I'm certain that we will soon hear more about them. I feel sorry for the kids.  

 

 

 

  

Totally agree, stupidity of the highest order,as you say it is there fault,no one forced them to do this.Saying that they should fit in well with the locals as they obviously have no foresight .

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why so many people are taking this piece of fluff seriously.

It's clear that the family are absolutely fine. They have a bungalow on the beach and cooking facilities.

They don't need lots of money to survive and they'll have a great life experience to share. Including how people rallied around them.

I still remember the people who so easily helped me on my travels. Now I do my best to spread the love and help whomever I can when I can.

Can most of you say the same or are you stuck in your cynicism that it is just a cruel world with every man for himself?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Icarus had become over confident, and ignoring the warnings previously given by his mates down at the pub.
The worst fears of the lads were soon realized for as Icarus flew closer to the sun, the wax began to melt,
and the feathers soon became detached from the wooden frame. In a very short time, all that Icarus was left clinging onto were the wooden frames,
and so Icarus plunged seawards, dying as he hit the water."  The End. 

 

close-to-the-sun.jpg

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 2:28 AM, Dustdevil said:

No such thing as a VOA for 30 days, but there is obviously a visa exemption scheme for certain nationals allowing a 30-day stay.

I know there isn't, and you have not been doing a very good job of studying the chart I posted and which you even reproduced.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, Logosone said:

Look we're talking about a family here with two adorable kids. They can't live in a one bed apartment, And in Chiang Mai why would you rent a condo when houses are so cheap? Plus you really need a pool in 40 degree heat. And look what happened now all the condos are closing the pool and gym facilities while those who rent a house with pool can still enjoy their facilities. You get what you pay for.

 

The same applies to food, an American breakfast for 30 Baht is totally impossible in Chiang Mai. It's just not feasible. Tell me where you get an American breafkast for 30 Baht. I've had American breakfast in Chiang Mai and paid substantially more than 30 Baht.

 

A sandwich for lunch? Are you pulling my leg?

 

Okay, 60 Baht for a nice Thai dinner at a food court is possible, but you forget the drink! Plus dessert. And you're already at 105 Baht. Now times that by four for the Wiseman family!

 

I can tell you shopping is not much cheaper than Germany, if anything quality food is more expensive in Thailand. Housing, you get more for your buck, but is still expensive.

 

So clearly this Wiseman family will have great expenses and I understand their financial concerns if they only have 20,000 GBP or so.

Well, my last time in Thailand/Chiang Mai was two years ago. I hopped over to the small cafe across the street from Puwanon Place (just off Huaykaew Road, less than a quarter mile northwest of the city center) and had a full Amer. bkfst for 30 baht, indeed.  A sandwich for lunch at home--why not? That's what I've always had--at most. Who needs a big hot meal for lunch? I don't. I'd just get fat. As for dinner, who needs the beer and dessert? If you've lived in Asia you soon learn to live without dessert. You are westernizing the Thai residential experience. I stand by what I said, as a single person, but, yes, in 2018 prices. Have they gone up so much? Breakfast doubled now or something?

Edited by Dustdevil
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Denim said:

 

1 Egg on white toast with a thin slice of ersatz spam and half a cup of Nescafe chaser.  Yummy.

Nope, it was two eggs, two slices of bacon, one or two slices of toast, jam and some black tea. Maybe all you naysayers go to the tourist joints in the Old City. And I was paying 50 baht for a full dinner (just water for drink, though) down southeast on Changklan Rd.  near the Park Hotel. I went down there for dinner because one of the family cooks was the sexiest and most beautiful girl in town and she actually liked me. Now that's what I'm talking about--who needs life in the West? Or so I thought, until I realized CM is Cancer City. (Now, I'll admit, the classic American breakfast has an addition to the eggs, toast and bacon: a tall plate of pancakes or waffles and a load of maple syrup. But we'll leave that aside. It's really a 1950s relic. I don' t know how they packed all that in.

Edited by Dustdevil
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Well, my last time in Thailand/Chiang Mai was two years ago. I hopped over to the small cafe across the street from Puwanon Place (just off Huaykaew Road, less than a quarter mile northwest of the city center) and had a full Amer. bkfst for 30 baht, indeed.  A sandwich for lunch at home--why not? That's what I've always had--at most. Who needs a big hot meal for lunch? I don't. I'd just get fat. As for dinner, who needs the beer and dessert? If you've lived in Asia you soon learn to live without dessert. You are westernizing the Thai residential experience. I stand by what I said, as a single person, but, yes, in 2018 prices. Have they gone up so much? Breakfast doubled now or something?

Look, for a family of four, like the Wisemans, proper french rolls from St.Etoile are 100 Baht alone, add in just two kinds of cold cuts, salami and Jamon Serrano and you're at 200 Baht, and what about coffee? Quality coffee like Ronn is expensive.

 

I've not seen any full American breakfast for 30 Baht. And please allow this poor family to have a warm lunch!

 

I wasn't talking about beer, just a simple coke, you need to drink something with that Thai meal.

 

You're not allowing these poor kids a fruit juice? That's 55 Baht right there.

 

Maybe as a single person you can live that cheap. For a family like the Wisemans the costs will be higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Logosone said:

Look, for a family of four, like the Wisemans, proper french rolls from St.Etoile are 100 Baht alone, add in just two kinds of cold cuts, salami and Jamon Serrano and you're at 200 Baht, and what about coffee? Quality coffee like Ronn is expensive.

 

I've not seen any full American breakfast for 30 Baht. And please allow this poor family to have a warm lunch!

 

I wasn't talking about beer, just a simple coke, you need to drink something with that Thai meal.

 

You're not allowing these poor kids a fruit juice? That's 55 Baht right there.

 

Maybe as a single person you can live that cheap. For a family like the Wisemans the costs will be higher.

Proper French baguettes? In what universe are you? Enough already. 

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, Mister Fixit said:

All those cold meats are pretty well the same as in the UK, just ways of using up the nipples, scrotums, udders and so on, that we'd never dream of eating in their natural state.  In the UK they have haslet, brawn, haggis, and the Yanks invented Spam of all things.

The UK has some delicious types of ham same as Germany has.  I can go with liverwurst, though - very nice indeed.

The problem is that the German diet, like the British one, is stodge, stodge and more stodge.  I went to a German breakfast place in Chiang Mai last year, but to be honest, I wish I hadn't - bread, bread, some ham, boiled eggs and more and yet more bread.

German sausages like bratwurst, Viennas and Frankfurters are just another way of using up the unpalatable parts of animals, ground into a paste with fillers and binders and basically, extremely poor quality foodstuffs.

And you sing their praises?  As to Lyoner - seriously, you'd actually put that muck in your mouth?  🤮

 

 

In all honesty I would say the stuff you are talking about, made from all the bits, is more likely to be a UK/USA type of sausage making, or was until a few years ago.

Real German sausage was just meat, various kinds, packed as sausage and dried or smoked and dried to preserve it.

Also the breakfasts in Germany vary with location.

70's I used to love what was called 11 cuts with potato salad. Maybe 3 or 4 cuts were sausage and the rest slices of cooked meat, roasted, boiled whatever.

Eggs, ham bread sounds like south Germany going on French mix, sort of.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 12:45 PM, overherebc said:

In all honesty I would say the stuff you are talking about, made from all the bits, is more likely to be a UK/USA type of sausage making, or was until a few years ago.

Real German sausage was just meat, various kinds, packed as sausage and dried or smoked and dried to preserve it.

Also the breakfasts in Germany vary with location.

70's I used to love what was called 11 cuts with potato salad. Maybe 3 or 4 cuts were sausage and the rest slices of cooked meat, roasted, boiled whatever.

Eggs, ham bread sounds like south Germany going on French mix, sort of.

No idea where if comes from apart from Germany.  We went to Chiang Mai Breakfast World so wherever the owner is from, I suppose.

I know a bit more than most Brits about German sausage too, because (and shhh, don't tell Logosone) my grandfather was German (born in Goslar), and his father was a sausage maker and inn keeper who had the sense to leave Germany when my grandfather was 3 years old and move to Holland.

I must admit that I do like the salami and cervelat-like dried sausage, but to class Lyoner, bratwurst and the various frankfurter style sausages as food is going too far.

 

As to the EU whining about sausage content, wasn't it the other way round when the EU tried to refuse to allow Cumberland sausages to come in, something about protected contents and area, whatever?  The Cumberland sausage (and I think Lincolnshire too) has to comply with strict rules about meat content and the Cumberland has to be more than 88% (IIRC) meat to comply.
Any more meat than that makes if difficult to stuff the sausages, for one reason, and I think they don't taste as good due to a lesser fat content.

But I am no sausage expert - I leave that to Germans who prefer to eat all that paste compressed  into shapes that they like to call meat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

No idea where if comes from apart from Germany.  We went to Chiang Mai Breakfast World so wherever the owner is from, I suppose.

I know a bit more than most Brits about German sausage too, because (and shhh, don't tell Logosone) my grandfather was German (born in Goslar), and his father was a sausage maker and inn keeper who had the sense to leave Germany when my grandfather was 3 years old and move to Holland.

I must admit that I do like the salami and cervelat-like dried sausage, but to class Lyoner, bratwurst and the various frankfurter style sausages as food is going too far.

 

As to the EU whining about sausage content, wasn't it the other way round when the EU tried to refuse to allow Cumberland sausages to come in, something about protected contents and area, whatever?  The Cumberland sausage (and I think Lincolnshire too) has to comply with strict rules about meat content and the Cumberland has to be more than 88% (IIRC) meat to comply.
Any more meat than that makes if difficult to stuff the sausages, for one reason, and I think they don't taste as good due to a lesser fat content.

But I am no sausage expert - I leave that to Germans who prefer to eat all that paste compressed  into shapes that they like to call meat.

As far as I know the UK sausage got a well deserved dose of bad press after the war because of the absolute minimal meat content ( no control ) so very poor quality.

The expression 'bangers and mash came from the fact the sausages had so much water in the mix they would explode when being fried 😆.

Bit different now with a lot of 'atisan?' sausage makers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, overherebc said:

As far as I know the UK sausage got a well deserved dose of bad press after the war because of the absolute minimal meat content ( no control ) so very poor quality.

The expression 'bangers and mash came from the fact the sausages had so much water in the mix they would explode when being fried 😆.

Bit different now with a lot of 'atisan?' sausage makers.

I think that's fair enough.  Food in the UK during and for some years after the war WAS of poor quality for obvious reasons.  

What there is no excuse for, which I mentioned above, is the still poor diet in the UK, stuffed as it is with so much carbohydrate.  I've been coming back to the UK almost annually since 2004 and when I do I am shocked at the size of many people, the inability to get much in the way of decent unprocessed nutritious food and the huge lack of imagination in sold food. 

OK, supermarkets make all sorts of 'exotic' foods but they are all with a British twist and they are all made for those who have never gained the ability to cook from scratch, and even their parents never had much compared to people in the 40s and 50s when it was common to eat offal (very nutritious too) and slow cook the food they had because otherwise it was barely edible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...